cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dolly tow a 2017 CR-V

heidisdad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Honda CR-V on order and am trying to figure out if the front wheels will freely turn left & right on a tow dolly. I'm leaning toward an Acme EZE tow dolly, that has a straight axle vs a turn table geometry. Thanks in advance for any help.
25 REPLIES 25

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a dolly now for four or more years. The front wheels are strapped down and cannot and should not move. As "Little Outpost" has written the rear end of the car follows the motor home around a corner as if it were a trailer. Some dolly axles will turn and act as a car being towed with the wheels down, but this is not really that necessary.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to use a tow dolly I've always felt that a Demco would be the best.

Dusty

Little_Outpost
Explorer
Explorer
When a car is towed on a dolly, the front wheels of the car remain in a fixed and strapped-down mode. The front wheels of the car don't turn at all. I put my car in park and lock the front wheels and remove the key. The dolly will follow the RV and the rear wheels of the towed car will act just like they would when the car is being driven.
Rick
2010 Coachmen Leprechaun 318DS
Ford 6.8L V-10

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
If you look at "American Car Dolly" which we have, the steering wheel should be locked, it has a movable front pallet, and is solid steel. IMHO, this is a very smart dolly, and not very expensive.
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

heidisdad
Explorer
Explorer
No Key....good point....now we're getting somewhere....thanks Snowman!!!

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Even if the wheels lock, they will stay unlocked until you remove the key. And then you can buy a plain dumb key that won't start the car. If it has a key. If no key, I am betting the wheel does not lock.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

heidisdad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ken, it will be a FWD, and of course it doesn't matter what kind of transmission in that case. My only concern (and question) is can the front wheels turn left and right. This is dolly towing folks!!!

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Ifit is like almost all other Honda's, you would have to have the key in the first position to unlock the steering wheel.
It would have to be the fwd (2wd). Since the change in 2015 to the new CVT transmission, none have been towable 4 down, and the AWD are not towable on a dolly.
If I see my neighbour tomorrow, I'll ask him about the steering.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

jules6
Explorer
Explorer
The last year that a CRV can be towed 4 down is 2014. after 2014 only 2 wheel drive models can be towed using a dolly, no 4x4 or all wheel drive models can be towed after 2014

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
From the 2017 Honda CRV Owners Guide:
Pg 107,
Towing Your Vehicle
This vehicle is not designed to be towed behind a motorhome. Doing so may damage the
transmission.

Are you sure you can tow this vehicle?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Better make sure you can tow it on a dolly, either front or rear.
Check the operator's manual.
Might have to trailer it.
Personally, I would get a different vehicle. One that is towable 4 on the ground.
That's what I'm going to do.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE