Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driver's licence

DROOPY
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I used to drive an RV 14 years ago, with Florida plates.
I'm now living in Switzerland but I would like to come back to Florida to buy an RV ans spent 3 to 4 months every winter.
I'm 78 years old and would like to know if there is a limit of age to renew my Florida DL, also do you know if I need an US drivers license or if I could use my Swiss driver's license to drive my own RV with Florida plates in the US.
Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Droopy

โš Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" at the top?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, post your topic in the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!
9 REPLIES 9

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
You will be fine using the DL you have. I have stopped people with international drivers licenses from all over the world. Many are hard to read and understand but they are fine in Florida. To have a Florida DL you must provide proof you live in Florida and have a permanent residence. Also that you are legally in the U.S. Many people fly to Florida from other countries and rent RVs in Florida and other states. If you want to rent an RV then call the rental company for additional information they may require. Florida had over 100 million tourist last year. Many rented cars with the DL from the country they live in.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say if you are now a Swiss citizen or are still a US citizen.

I bring this up because it's fairly easy to find info on FOREIGN NATIONALS driving in the US. Basically, they can drive in the US with their foreign license, but some states require you to also have an International Driving Permit (IDP) which is a standard form on which the info on your driver's license is translated into several common languages - English, French, Spanish, Arabic, etc.

Whether that would apply to a US citizen resident in another country, I don't know. Perhaps a US Consulate in Switzerland could clear that up for you.

There may be one other problem, too. I've heard that some foreign driving licenses will state a limit on how HEAVY a vehicle you can drive - it Gross Vehicle Weight. If your DL lists such a limit, and the motor home you want to drive exceeds that, that may be an issue.

https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure these rules are posted on a FL website somewhere. I didn't know there was a Sarasota Switzerland.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The only question is if you are no longer a Florida resident, not sure if you can get a new Florida DL.

Best to call the Florida DMV to see if there are any issues getting the RV licensed or if you can get a DL.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Call to be sure but since a US license is good for tourists to drive in Europe, I suspect reciprocity would make your Swiss license good as long as you are not a permanent resident of FL.
Turret Class traveler

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
This is posted in the wrong forum - this forum is for help with the forum itself and technical support. You can probably go to the Florida drivers' services web site to find the answers to your questions.

Rob

Cut he guy a break, he's pushing 80.

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hiโ€”to my knowledge, there is no age limit to renew your Florida driverโ€™s license. You bring in your present license, take an eye test, and the Florida license is issued for eights years. A short call to the Florida DMV could answer all your questions. Good luck.
chartrue2@aol.com

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is posted in the wrong forum - this forum is for help with the forum itself and technical support. You can probably go to the Florida drivers' services web site to find the answers to your questions.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015