Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
Who's got one?
What kind?
Where do you fly it?
Any special purpose for it?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500
39 REPLIES 39

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...a drone thread that has gone a full page without someone threatening to "blow it out of the sky" if it comes near them or theirs.

Must be the season of good will. Hopefully the discussion will continue in this peaceful manner.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have a DJI Mavic Pro. It is a lot of fun, and you can get some great photos.

Sometimes I fly from my house. Mostly I fly it at the lake. Iโ€™ve been able to get some fun photos and videos that you canโ€™t get any other way.

The DJI GO app will tell you if you are in a restricted area - too close to an airport.

Iโ€™ve taken my drone out while waiting for a commercial flight at an airport to download photos, and the drone software is advanced enough that it wouldnโ€™t let you take off if you wanted to.

These conversations always bring up tough guys making threats. If they ever follow through on those swinging statements, it will be fun to see them prosecuted.

https://youtu.be/ZcqEdS_GXSg
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I fly racing quads. Nothing at all like camera quads. These DON'T fly themselves. I also have a camera quad - a Phantom - for checking out the fence line on the fields. It doesn't get a lot of use. Compared to the racers, it's boring.

Some things to keep in mind:

NOTE: Current rules apply only to quads that weigh 250 grams or more when in flight trim. New rules will apply to all quads and their flyers.

1. If you plan to fly recreationally, you need to register as an FAA Part 336 recreational flyer and put your registration number on the quad.

2. If you plan to fly professionally, you need to certify and take a test and register as an FAA Part 107 flyer, and also register your quad.

https://federaldroneregistration.com/

A couple months ago Congress passed, and the President signed, the FAA Reauthorization bill. While it's law, the FAA has not yet developed the changes mandated so the old rules still apply for a few more months. The changes mandated will include a test for recreational flyers. No one knows exactly what's going to be on the test yet.

3. If the camera quad uses 5.8G Analog signaling for the video, and if the video transmitter is not FCC certified - almost none are - you'll also need a HAM Radio License. The Technician License is sufficient. My racers require this. If it uses digital signaling - like Phantom's use - then this isn't needed.

4. Most NPs and many SPs don't permit taking off and landing within the park. They can't regulate overflight - that's the job of the FAA. They CAN forbid taking off and landing though.

5. CURRENT RULES: If you're within 5 miles of an airport, helipad, or other registered facility, you need to notify the tower or airport manager before you fly. You'll be limited to 400 feet or less altitude, but limits follow the Class of airspace if you're NOT within 5 miles. Notification is done by calling the appropriate phone numbers.

Maps and tower information: http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/

6. NEW RULES under reauthorization bill: If you're within Class G airspace you can fly up to an altitude of 400 feet without having notify. All other classes of airspace require permission, not just notification, from the tower or manager responsible for that airspace. It's not yet known how that permission will be obtained.

Aeronautical Chart with class of airspace:
https://skyvector.com/

It's likely the new test will require some basic ability to read Aeronautical charts.

Why the rules? Some of those things flying up there contain live humans, and some are on search and rescue/law enforcement/public safety missions. It's for them.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some campgrounds that thankfully donโ€™t allow them to fly over the CG. One reason is they can be quite annoying, two is they can cause damage should they slam into a RV. Not much damage but enough to be a concern.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I have a quad copter. It's for scouting fields, checking on crops and perimeters. I farm and use it for that only. Not for fun, for business only. I don't find them to be a fun item and I certainly don't want one hovering above my property snooping. I'd have to employ an anti-drone weapon, my 12 gauge with Number 8 and remove it from the sky.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have one, but if you're just looking for some fun in a campground, I don't think folks will be too upset. We've been to several places where dads and kids were flying them together. They usually pick an open area in the campground and the kids are playing with them. Dad is usually nearby. They actually draw a lot of attention, and I've noticed folks just shrug their shoulders once they know kids are playing with them. It would be good to check campground rules, if there are any prohibitions first.

I've heard they are banned in National Parks. And if you are not flying them over private property, more than likely you'll not have any problems.

And I think it makes a big difference if you are using one just for the fun of flying it, or if you are wanting to do some serious photography. Just be aware, a lot of folks think they are intrusive into their personal space and react badly sometimes.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I would offer a different path. Start with a light drone. On Amazon there is Holy Stone drones. My choice to learn and have fun would be one around 140 grams. Learn to fly with one of these. Customer service with this company is legendary.

You can get somre grainy pictures with toy drones, but there is a ton of fun and friends galore out there with them. Once you have six months of flying you will have had enough experience to go to a Mavic. I have the Mavic Air and it is the perfect portable, high quality drone.

The little ones are fun to fly in tight quarters. They take a beating, but flying skills grow fast. Some tiny drones are even used inside. Grandkids will love it.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Just be aware of the rules wherever you fly one. Many state and national parks for instance, prohibit them to protect the wildlife.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on the Mavic Pro. I haven't really used it as much as I expected. Operation is very easy.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

TwoManyToyz
Explorer
Explorer
I have built and flown Quad copters and Tri copters for 4-5 years. They are a very useful tool if you're looking at getting some aerial pictures. I had more fun flying in tight quarters with my multi-rotors.

If i was going to recommend one for a novice it would have to be a DJI Mavic

https://www.abt.com/product/114580/DJI-Mavic-Pro-Platinum-Quadcopter-CP.PT.00000071.01.html

They almost fly them selves and are very well built for the money.You'll really enjoy the ride.

hope this helps.