cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ebike for a heavy rider?

SCADAMAN29325
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm 285 and want an ebike to cruise the campgrounds, trails and maybe a nearby town.

Anybody out there think what they have can help me out or maybe know of a fellow camper has what may work for me.

I've seen PLENTY advertised and reviewed, but I'm looking for real world suggestions.

Some of the things I've seen that appear to work well are mid-drive units that take advantage of the derailleur, fat tires seem nice, step through, 48v, NOT a built in or special designed battery that will not be in production in a few years...

What else should I be looking for and some suggestions please.

Thanks, Phil.
THANKS! Phil and LuAnn
1st timers, brought it home 2022-10-19.
1994 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye
M-T31-Ford-460, 1994 Ford E350
I may not know what I am doing, but I am having fun doing it!
20 REPLIES 20

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Himiway Cobra Electric MTB and I'm more than pleased with it.
I should say, that it took me some time to make the choice, especially when it came to the size. But I was lucky to find a good guide here https://www.bikertricks.com/bike-size-chart/ that helped me figure it out.

liamricci
Explorer
Explorer
Will check it out, thank

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Been at San Angelo state park this weekend. Can't think of a better park to bike ride in my neck of the woods. Its a huge area with a lot of roads and trails. You ever get this way, bike riders paradise.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
My e-bike has about 1100 miles, has needed a new derailleur, new chain, needs constant adjustments to the derailleur, and the spokes won't stay tight. Other than that, it's been alright. You can definitely cover more area. Anyway, it's the reason my "real bike" has internal hub gearing and a belt instead of a chain.

If I buy another e-bike...and I might, it'll be something simple and low maintenance like a single speed and belt drive.

Exactly!!!

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing in your post said anything about โ€œE-bikes get people who otherwise wouldn't out on bikesโ€. Your post was all people who own bikes not riding them. Getting the bike out of the garage takes motivation.
Obviously you can buy an e-bike and it can spend just as much time hanging in the garage. Buying an e-bike does not buy motivation.
Like Samson said, a regular bike is cheaper and better for you.
In a busy world, 10 minutes on my regular bike is better for me than an hour on a e-bike

I think the main point is doing any exercise is better than doing nothing. If you have mobility issues or anything like that then an ebike might be good a good choice for you. If you have no issues then a regular bike will do. You just need to be motivated to do something.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nothing in your post said anything about โ€œE-bikes get people who otherwise wouldn't out on bikesโ€. Your post was all people who own bikes not riding them. Getting the bike out of the garage takes motivation.
Obviously you can buy an e-bike and it can spend just as much time hanging in the garage. Buying an e-bike does not buy motivation.
Like Samson said, a regular bike is cheaper and better for you.
In a busy world, 10 minutes on my regular bike is better for me than an hour on a e-bike.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
nickthehunter wrote:
I put 1154 verifiable miles on my bike last year (an average year and consider that this year I am fully retired). My bike is 3 years old and cost about $300. Would you like to compare cost per mile of your e-bike vs. my โ€œrack in the garageโ€ bike?

I think you are missing the point. E-bikes get people who otherwise wouldn't out on bikes.

We gave away our last set of standard bikes when we started cruising on our boat...everything is uphill from the water and after a couple months of them taking up limited space, we gave them to a marina for people to borrow. Run the per mile cost comparison on that...
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I put 1154 verifiable miles on my bike last year (an average year and consider that this year I am fully retired). My bike is 3 years old and cost about $300. Would you like to compare cost per mile of your e-bike vs. my โ€œrack in the garageโ€ bike?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
nickthehunter wrote:
Samsonsworld wrote:
.. I will say a good 'regular' bike is a better investment. Cheaper and will last longer.
X2

Yep, a bike hung on a rack in the garage will last a very long time vs a bike that's out on the road being used.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I ride my Ebike all over the CG. I may ride it into town or to the ch area .
I ride my Ebike distances I could never ride a regular bike.
An Ebike flattens the hills and picks up the slack that a regular bike doesn't do.
It not about $$$ or longevity its about going from point A to B with ease. An Ebike takes you up the inclines in ways that a allow older riders to keep riding.
Some may call it cheating. But cheating is driving the car to town,
Ebikes allow one to enjoy the biking experience, while maintaining a comfortable pace and getting some exercise.

An Ebike makes biking enjoyable vs. challenging.
I get some enjoy the challenge and a more intense work out, However there are many that are beyond their days of being challenge by a bike and prefer an enjoyable ride.

I totally agree with this statement. Maybe some are thinking there is no exercise in the electric bikes but there is. Ours are pedal assist so they 'help' with the pedaling. We have taken them pretty much everywhere and have enjoyed so much more than we could have on a regular bike. We have ridden all the 50 miles of carriage roads in Acadia, Along the waterfront in NJ, the 35 miles or so in Chicago waterfront etc..which would have not been possible without them.

It really gets us out to see more than we normally would have.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
6ft 275#
I have a ADDMOTOR TRIKE.
Very powerful and very sturdy.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
nickthehunter wrote:
Samsonsworld wrote:
.. I will say a good 'regular' bike is a better investment. Cheaper and will last longer.
X2

Apples and oranges.
I ride my Ebike all over the CG. I may ride it into town or to the ch area .
I ride my Ebike distances I could never ride a regular bike.
An Ebike flattens the hills and picks up the slack that a regular bike doesn't do.
It not about $$$ or longevity its about going from point A to B with ease. An Ebike takes you up the inclines in ways that a allow older riders to keep riding.
Some may call it cheating. But cheating is driving the car to town,
Ebikes allow one to enjoy the biking experience, while maintaining a comfortable pace and getting some exercise.

An Ebike makes biking enjoyable vs. challenging.
I get some enjoy the challenge and a more intense work out, However there are many that are beyond their days of being challenge by a bike and prefer an enjoyable ride.
I have a Pedego Boomerang rated to carry 350# with upgraded wheels
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Samsonsworld wrote:
I have a Velowave 750w. Pretty decent ebike for the money. I was 240lbs when I got it. Carries me easily. I will say a good 'regular' bike is a better investment. Cheaper and will last longer.
โ€ฆ. Or an exercise bike?