Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric awning - Carefree

danager
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I have a 2010 Dutchmen with a Carefree of Colorado electric awning. The awning started giving me some trouble last year. It extended just fine, and then when I attempted to retract it, it would only close half way and then stop. Wait 15 minutes and try again would allow it to close all the way. It does this this consistently.

To do some additional troubleshooting this year, I read a lot and finally opened things up for a closer look yesterday. I extended the awning and then attempted to retract it immediately. Nothing... I waited and again, it would close, this time all the way. I am thinking it must be either overheating or drawing too much current and tripping a safety somewhere. I removed the switch from the wall and the cover from the electric motor to look at both a little closer. All of the connections seem sound. When operating the awning, neither overheat, they do not even get warm. I also checked the fuse panel, it does not feel warmer than any other circuit not in use.

Does anybody know if there is a resetting breaker somewhere in-line? If not, maybe this is something in the motor itself? I learned through researching, the motor is a power window motor used in GM vehicles. I confirmed this by removing the plastic motor cover yesterday. Easy to remove and fairly cheap if needed.

Any other suggestions? I have several years of experience working with 12volt systems in automobiles, so this does't scare me. Seems like such a simple system, a switch and a motor, I will not be defeated by this thing!

Thanks!
Dan
5 REPLIES 5

danager
Explorer
Explorer
Sea'scape wrote:
Bad connections...low voltage at motor...higher current draw due to low voltage...trips thermal breaker...

Maybe????

It must have been something like that. I could find no other faults. Stopped working, started working about 10-15 minutes later.

I normally like to get to the bottom of things like this. To say I was happy to put the cover back on and walk away would be an understatement.

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
Bad connections...low voltage at motor...higher current draw due to low voltage...trips thermal breaker...

Maybe????

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Now that just does not make any sense, at all. So many times we look for the problem, but forget about the simple stuff. :S But regardless, the symptoms just don't match the solution.

Very perplexing. :?

But....Good for you.:)

Still it doesn't make any sense what-so-ever.:h
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

danager
Explorer
Explorer
I got around to do some more reading about issues with these awnings and what other people have done. I am happy to report it was a simple fix. I just had to pull off the wire connectors, clean both sides up and reconnect the wires to the motor. Ran the awning in and out a couple dozen times with no issues.

Now I have no excuse not to clean the awning ๐Ÿ˜ž

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
If an electric motor (especially a power window motor) quits, hold the button and tap the motor with the handle end of a screwdriver. If it goes then you need a new motor. The problem will be with the brushes or the armature and usually not serviceable Dave