cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVs Stealing RV Campsites!! Not....

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Just for fun, check out this rant on that "other" site. Linky Goofus is riled up, worried that them tent campin' EVers are hogging sites that should (in his opinion) be reserved for "real" RVs. He was knocked back quickly, even by folks who aren't EV proponents. His response was a hoot as he doubled down, twisted and turned. Mod finally had to shut him down. We are lucky here, something about that other place seems to draw in the crazies.!:h Enjoy!
37 REPLIES 37

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
My issue has always been the tent taking the 45' driveway and I get stuck with nothing because I don't fit in the other 20' spaces.
At least the electric is getting used. I will mosey on down the road now to the next place. RV still has wheels.
More than any of this is seeing half the campsites empty due to no shows and no reservations available.
Besides it could never be stealing if the EV pays for the site.

thats more of an issue of campgrounds not building tent spicific sites and also not enforcing the rules. I used to run a couple and we had so many dedicated tent cites with power, then truck camper/van sites, medium and large (not pull throughts at that time though) what we did if a tenter reserved a site it had to be a tent site and same for medium lenght and large, but if you showed up friday with no reservation and a tent, if we didn't have a tent site open we would look to the next higher site and so on if that wasnt available. so yes if you are showing up out of the blue looking for a 40 foot site you may not get one because a tenter showed up out of the blue before you and that was the last site we had open.

never had to deal with ev's back then, but if some one was taking power from an unoccupied space instead of there own they would be given a warning the first time then probably evicted the second time. they have power at there own site, but then again if they came and asked first and removed it when some one else showed up I am not sure if I would have had an issue with it. its a weird area.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, the mods are part of the problem there, for sure. I began looking at it when I was interested in Class Bs. That enthusiasm has dissipated so mostly I just check it for entertaining train wrecks like the link.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
shelbyfv wrote:
Just for fun, check out this rant on that "other" site.

I gave up on that site in its entirety quite a while back after a particularly nasty series of exchanges with a slanderous bigot with a HUGE chip on his shoulder. Despite numerous reports, by numerous users, it continued on for several days.

Then I got a PM from another user informing me that the culprit was in fact a moderator on that site…….

Reading that PM was the last time I was on that site.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Yah some of that pencils out Valhalla, but I would think we are typical EV RVers and our daily consumption at a campground is probably quite a bit lower than your estimates. Maybe 25 to 30 kw on travelling days and maybe 10 to 15 kw on days we were staying in the campground and touring the area with just the car. Lots of different factors affecting that of course. We had one place offer to upgrade us to a 50 amp site and then an additional surcharge for charging but we were over half on the battery so it just wasn't worth it. I asked if he wanted anything to charge on the 30 amp site and he said no, the surcharge was only if you charge on a 50 amp site. The only request was that we only plug one thing in at a time, EV or RV. That was actually a common request and we always respected it. (I don't have a way to plug in two things anyway).

Here is a graph of the first 31 days of our last big trip. Roughly 7200 kilometers pretty much 90 percent towing (didn't track that) The blue is home charging (there wasn't any as we were on the road), the red is supercharging and the grey is other charging such as driveways at family, campgrounds, touristy places that had free client charging etc. But it will give an idea of why I say that for us a typical charging event at a campground was probably less than 25 to 30 kwh. The Tesla APP is the source of the graph. All funds in Canadian currency.

Cheers.

Sounds like you are checking in and making the campground aware of what you are doing. That builds a lot of good will and is the right thing to do. If they tell you not to worry about it, you've done your due diligence but as mentioned, when it's one nights charging per week, it's really not worth them bothering with it (50amp sites are typically a few dollars more EV or no EV).

Looks like around 750kwh (34%) was at campgrounds for the month. Assuming the Canadian average price of $0.174/kwh, that's around $145 worth of electricity that will wind up on the campgrounds electric bill.

Yah we always try and check just in case.

So yah, the 34 percent was all free but probably half of that was driveway camping at relatives and even some freebee touristy charging. Some tourist areas have free L2 charging for visitors. Usually at 6 to 8 kW rate.

And remember, if the EV is plugged in the RV wasn’t. Essentially we used more propane as a result. Really the economics didn’t play a role in the decision as I doubt the propane was much cheaper. What influences the decision to charge at the campground isi convenience. So, let’s say one pulls in with half a battery, it’s nice to be able to top up for the next day so one doesn’t need to plan a supercharge. More of a nice to have than need to have but it was a factor.

Of course we tow with an SUV. The economics and dynamics of EV trucks with batteries twice as big will be different. Should be interesting. I still say a surcharge is viable and a possible revenue source for the campground. People are willing to pay for convenience. And I think the “one thing plugged in at a time” rule will become an important rule to make it all work. Otherwise wait for the supercharger (or non tesla equivalent).

Jmho.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Reisender wrote:
Yah some of that pencils out Valhalla, but I would think we are typical EV RVers and our daily consumption at a campground is probably quite a bit lower than your estimates. Maybe 25 to 30 kw on travelling days and maybe 10 to 15 kw on days we were staying in the campground and touring the area with just the car. Lots of different factors affecting that of course. We had one place offer to upgrade us to a 50 amp site and then an additional surcharge for charging but we were over half on the battery so it just wasn't worth it. I asked if he wanted anything to charge on the 30 amp site and he said no, the surcharge was only if you charge on a 50 amp site. The only request was that we only plug one thing in at a time, EV or RV. That was actually a common request and we always respected it. (I don't have a way to plug in two things anyway).

Here is a graph of the first 31 days of our last big trip. Roughly 7200 kilometers pretty much 90 percent towing (didn't track that) The blue is home charging (there wasn't any as we were on the road), the red is supercharging and the grey is other charging such as driveways at family, campgrounds, touristy places that had free client charging etc. But it will give an idea of why I say that for us a typical charging event at a campground was probably less than 25 to 30 kwh. The Tesla APP is the source of the graph. All funds in Canadian currency.

Cheers.

Sounds like you are checking in and making the campground aware of what you are doing. That builds a lot of good will and is the right thing to do. If they tell you not to worry about it, you've done your due diligence but as mentioned, when it's one nights charging per week, it's really not worth them bothering with it (50amp sites are typically a few dollars more EV or no EV).

Looks like around 750kwh (34%) was at campgrounds for the month. Assuming the Canadian average price of $0.174/kwh, that's around $145 worth of electricity that will wind up on the campgrounds electric bill.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Maybe. But I can tell you from many days of EV RV camping that it’s unusual to get more than 25 or 30 kWh from a park pedestal on an overnight stay at a campground. And that is only if our trailer is unplugged. We have hydronic heat and hot water in our little trailer which means both heat and hot water use either one or two elements (selectable) to operate (or propane of course). Between that and the fridge I’m pretty sure it’s drawing close to 24 amps or roughly the same as the car. The only difference is if there is a voltage drop in the park the trailer keeps drawing max whereas the car senses the voltage drop and automatically tapers current to either 18 amps (at 113 volts) or 12 amps (at 109 volts) ish. As soon as that happens we get a text indicating charging is reduced because of low voltage. It does the same thing if it senses the receptacle temperature is rising because of a poor connection.

Jmho but if there is a difference in cost it’s probably closer to a couple or three bucks. Really we have never checked. Just a guess.

Might be different on a 50 amp site but we have never camped on one yet.

As you show, the EVs will try to max out the supply. Even at the reduced amperage at 113v, a 20hr stay would be over 40kwh. Assuming 24amps at 120v, that's up around 58kwh.

Right now when it's a stray EV once a week, most owners won't even understand. If it ever becomes a significant percentage of the vehicles, expect park owners to get frustrated. Even if it's only $3...if you have 50 EVs charging every night, that's over $50k in extra electric consumption per year.

On a 50amp pedestal, it simply scales up. Also, most 50amp pedestals have both a 50amp and a 30amp...do the EV owners plug the RV into one and the EV into the other? If it's a small EV being pulled by a MH, the batteries may reach full and stop charging but if the tow vehicle is an EV, Say the new F150, pulling 120-130kwh is well within the capability of a 50amp outlet given an overnight stop.

Overloading the park system is a separate issue.

Of course, if it's a gradual shift, expect a premium charge for people camping with EVs to be gradually implemented or a prohibition against EV charging.

Cheers.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Reisender wrote:
Maybe. But I can tell you from many days of EV RV camping that it’s unusual to get more than 25 or 30 kWh from a park pedestal on an overnight stay at a campground. And that is only if our trailer is unplugged. We have hydronic heat and hot water in our little trailer which means both heat and hot water use either one or two elements (selectable) to operate (or propane of course). Between that and the fridge I’m pretty sure it’s drawing close to 24 amps or roughly the same as the car. The only difference is if there is a voltage drop in the park the trailer keeps drawing max whereas the car senses the voltage drop and automatically tapers current to either 18 amps (at 113 volts) or 12 amps (at 109 volts) ish. As soon as that happens we get a text indicating charging is reduced because of low voltage. It does the same thing if it senses the receptacle temperature is rising because of a poor connection.

Jmho but if there is a difference in cost it’s probably closer to a couple or three bucks. Really we have never checked. Just a guess.

Might be different on a 50 amp site but we have never camped on one yet.

As you show, the EVs will try to max out the supply. Even at the reduced amperage at 113v, a 20hr stay would be over 40kwh. Assuming 24amps at 120v, that's up around 58kwh.

Right now when it's a stray EV once a week, most owners won't even understand. If it ever becomes a significant percentage of the vehicles, expect park owners to get frustrated. Even if it's only $3...if you have 50 EVs charging every night, that's over $50k in extra electric consumption per year.

On a 50amp pedestal, it simply scales up. Also, most 50amp pedestals have both a 50amp and a 30amp...do the EV owners plug the RV into one and the EV into the other? If it's a small EV being pulled by a MH, the batteries may reach full and stop charging but if the tow vehicle is an EV, Say the new F150, pulling 120-130kwh is well within the capability of a 50amp outlet given an overnight stop.

Overloading the park system is a separate issue.

Of course, if it's a gradual shift, expect a premium charge for people camping with EVs to be gradually implemented or a prohibition against EV charging.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's very possible that the park with every site a FHU doesn't offer tent camping. That's not unusual, I've seen a number of RV parks that don't provide sites for tent camping.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Sorry, but the tents should stick to the tent sites! They have charging stations for a reason.
Maybe campgrounds should start putting in gas pumps!

I know of one Washington State Park that every site is full hook up. Using this logic tents should not be allowed to stay in this park. There could be more parks like this out there.

I have stayed in sites without hook ups in parks that have sites with and without because that is all that was available. Should I not have done this because I have an RV not a tent?

And then there was a time that a friend of ours made reservations with the intent of staying in their motorhome. Unfortunately it had mechanical problems that had them not trusting it to get to the campground and back. So last minute the regroup and pack everything and a tent into their SUV rather than stay home.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

Explorer II
Explorer II
He realized he wasn't getting the desired reaction on his EV rant so he started ranting about ppl slicing tires. That was a stretch.

I agree. This is the type of entertainment that keeps me coming back.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
The poor OP posted 49 times in his original thread! That would account for several pages. I guess he was hoping to salvage something but just kept digging deeper.

Thanks for posting the link, it's a hilarious read. Not unlike a few here on these boards like the Tesla Semi thread and I see a good ole GM bashing thread was just started. It makes for great entertainment when having my coffee at 4 AM lol.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
The poor OP posted 49 times in his original thread! That would account for several pages. I guess he was hoping to salvage something but just kept digging deeper.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
I'll see your 3 pages and raise you another before 7:00 PM EST tomorrow.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
If the site is vacant, then the electrical pilferer should be reported to the CG Mgr.

fj12ryder wrote:
Kind of like pulling into a parking lot, and finding 5 or 6 parking spots with a single motorcycle in each, when they could easily double up, which is what I do. Like I said, not a big deal, but just seems trifle inconsiderate. Definitely not worth getting all in a snit about though.
Each parking space is for one vehicle, regardless. Never a good idea to park where another vehicle has already taken ownership of that space on a first come first served basis.