cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Excess butyl tape

kellyjo
Explorer
Explorer
I have sealed my camper and I have excess butyl tape coming out everywhere. Do I really have to remove the excess tape or can I just seal over it and call it good?
7 REPLIES 7

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
Window butyl tape will ooze out and you cut it off with plastic days or weeks later, after it gets hot it oozes more.
You do not put sealant over the butyl tape. The tape is the sealant.

Excess butyl tape can be cut off and wadded up into ball and place in an air tight container. It will be good for a long, LONG time.

Don't over tighten windows. You do not want to squeeze to much of the butyl out !

The major benefit of butyl tape, is if you do get a leak it easy to remove the window, peel off the tape (comes off clean), apply new tape and re-install the window.

I don't care what anyone says, ALL sealants/caulks leak/fail after being exposed to heat/cold, sun, wind, rain and snow. Some sooner than other. Some are a b!tch to remove (3M 5200).

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Butyl tape is used to put windows in. Is this what you used it for? You dont say much, so is a waste of space to ask a question like this.

Window butyl tape will ooze out and you cut it off with plastic days or weeks later, after it gets hot it oozes more.
You do not put sealant over the butyl tape. The tape is the sealant. If you need sealant you did something very wrong.

If you are talking about that gray tape, then you botched the whole question as this is not butyl rubber. Gray stuff is more of a clay. It does not require sealant on top until a year or two later - maybe.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
If this is a roof issue and yu are asking about dicor over the top, I don't see why you would have to remove it at all.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
And you may have to remove some of it more than once.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
And best to remove it when it's cold. Don't try if it's hot or been in the sun.

A bit confusing, but that's ok. ๐Ÿ™‚
If you sealed with butyl tape and it's squishing out, use a blunt plastic knife to clean the excess off.

Don't use a metal implement as it will damage the surfaces. Plastic works well.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like if the butyl tape is squishing out you should already have a seal. :h