cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

expired memberships ????

mudhound
Explorer
Explorer
This may have been asked before. So, please forgive me in advance if it has.

Do campgrounds know or care if your Passport America membership, Good Sams, or what ever is expired? I am near 99% sure motels have no way of knowing if someoneโ€™s AAA or whatever is up to date. Is their goal not the same? If they have empty spots it cost them money. They want to fill beds or spaces.

Many thanks in advance!
:C

God Bless
22 REPLIES 22

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
KOA membership is in a database also. They just look it up when you check in.

I'm sure they do. I'd just like to know when my KOA card expires so I can renew it from home. The newest one now shows "thru 06/14". Now I don't have to take a stranger's word for it.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
I really doubt that any campground will give you the 50% PPA discount without checking the card.

I have, however, received the GS 10% discount simply by asking "Are there any discounts available?" without ever presenting the card, which is why I never bothered renewing.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
jnharley wrote:
The KOAs that we have stayed at actually scanned our card and we are always asked to produce our PPA card. We have a lifetime membership to PPA and it paid for the membership in just over a year.

At least for the KOA card, it does pay to keep it current. On our trip north from Florida last week, we spent two night free at KOA's, plus renewing our membership for $10, just by using our accumulated points that would have expired this month.

X10

When I went full time I bought EVERY CG membership there was.

After several years on the road I've become an exclusive KOA camper. If there is one on my route I am there.

Let all the other memberships expire. They all came with pita restrictions and BS and never found them worth their fees.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have been asked for PPA card at every one of the PPA CG's we've ever stayed at. Can't say about GS CG's as we haven't stayed at one (except the ones that also accept PPA)
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

mudhound
Explorer
Explorer
JC2 wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
kernewek wrote:
I know that I will probably be in the minority here, but it seems to be a bit dishonest to be using an expired card to claim something that you are not really entitled to.....
I agree, I was brought up to be honest and your word is your bond. Most the time they check the card on PPA.

Count me in also.

X2 for me too. However, the intent of the post was to show or tell that these facilities REALLY just want or desire your business. Plus, I (myself) was wondering if any of the campgrounds even checked. I have now seen where some do and some could care less. Plus, some even have gone the extra mile. I really liked the post about discounts in general. We all need to keep this fact in mind.
:C

God Bless

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
kernewek wrote:
I know that I will probably be in the minority here, but it seems to be a bit dishonest to be using an expired card to claim something that you are not really entitled to.....
I agree, I was brought up to be honest and your word is your bond. Most the time they check the card on PPA.

Count me in also.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
The KOAs that we have stayed at actually scanned our card and we are always asked to produce our PPA card. We have a lifetime membership to PPA and it paid for the membership in just over a year.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
At least for the KOA card, it does pay to keep it current. On our trip north from Florida last week, we spent two night free at KOA's, plus renewing our membership for $10, just by using our accumulated points that would have expired this month.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We checked into a Good Sam park last fall and showed our card. It was one of those that doesn't show an expiration date. (I've called G.S. numerous times for a card that does show the date. That's another story.) Anyway, since it had no date the office had to look up our expiration online before giving us the discount. We've had our Passport card looked at for date of expiration, too. Escapees always checks the date.

We keep the memberships up-to-date and don't try to cheat. That's only fair to everyone.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have stayed at both Good Sam parks and Passport parks. In all cases they have asked us for our card number or to see the card. I'm sure when they enter the card # in their system, it will not accept the rate if it is expired. It's in their database.

BigDaddyHfx
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at the Pumpkin Patch campground in Bangor, ME last summer. My GS card card expired 2 days before check in. They even called the GS membership line to check. It was only 2 days expired but they wouldn't budge. In the end they gave me a military discount with absolutely no proof.

They had lots of rules like no grills on the picnic tables, no fires (no fire pits)only walk and pee your dogs in certain areas (charged for more than 2 pets). Paid a premium to stay there and it definitely wasn't worth it.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
kernewek wrote:

gjwarneke
Explorer
Explorer
x2 I agree kernewek

When camping at a KOA this past summer my DH was asked "Military?" My DH responded "No" then DH said "how bout law enforcement? KOA said "Sure".
No ID required although DH was ready to produce his active card. Thanks KOA

kernewek
Explorer
Explorer
Kernewek
2006 Silverado 2500HD CC D/A 4x4
2007 Crossroads Zinger ZF27RL

"Just because I don't care, it doesn't mean I don't understand" Homer J Simpson