cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extension cord shrinkage

Grumpa
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else have this issue with molded plug ends on power cords? The cord jacket shrinks and pulls out end. I would post a photo,lost at getting it done
8 REPLIES 8

Grumpa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. Replace is the go to.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the end with one where it clamps the jacket so it canโ€™t pull out.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™d tape the schitt out of it and carry on.
Electrical tape or rubber tape or liquid electrical tape.
Use it til it doesnโ€™t work.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
Lay the cord out in the warm sun a few hours. Then start at the RV and pull the cover toward the plug along the length of the wire. I put some JB Weld in the moulded end as I pulled the cover toward the plug and it has now held for many years. No issues again.

This is the best bet! I would suggest unhooking the cable from the trailer if it can be done as it will also let you make the best of the job by holding the wires as you pull the jacket thus giving you more jacket to pull instead of putting tension on the connections. If done this way JB may not even be needed but could be used for insurance. When you are done, put a cable clamp around where the jacket ends on the trailer end to keep it from migrating. Happy Camping!

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grumpa wrote:
Anyone else have this issue with molded plug ends on power cords? The cord jacket shrinks and pulls out end. I would post a photo,lost at getting it done

Short answer.. YES.
The cord jacket shrinks... only soultions I know of are replacement the ends (Shortening the wires) or perhps heat shrink tubing (First remove the plug then slip heat shrink over the end and jacket) Finding heat shrink that large I never did, use 2 or 3 layers. Replace plug with new end (Well the first time just a replacemnt plug and ciut the wires back_)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lay the cord out in the warm sun a few hours. Then start at the RV and pull the cover toward the plug along the length of the wire. I put some JB Weld in the moulded end as I pulled the cover toward the plug and it has now held for many years. No issues again.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I've had it happen.

I simply wound some electrical tape until I could replace the end.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had this happen on my shore line power cord after 15 years of use.

I just replaced it with the best one on the market today with a Progressive Industries male plug.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C