cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F150 with a new Travel Trailer

VA_Camper1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew with the following specs.

5.4L V8 Engine
3.73 gearing
139" wheel base
5509 curb weight
7200 GVWR
9200 Towing
With passengers, bikes, wood, etc. I would say that we have about 1000 pounds in the truck. Mainly because typically my wife and kids come later in a different vehicle. It could be more if we all ride together.

The trailer I am looking at has the following specs
2019 Heartland Pioneer 270BH
7700 GVWR
680 Hitch weight
32'-3" long back to tongue

The way I have it calculated is that I have combined trailer weight of 14189 with a GCWR of 16400. So, I have a reserved of 2211 pounds. So, numbers wise I should be fine. With a good WDH. I know the truck is capable. We have a 19 foot camper that it pulls fantastic. I have pulled a 24' camper with half ton trucks in the past without an issue. I am just wondering if it will pull it without damaging a 13 year old truck.

Opinions are welcome, please let me know what you think.
2006 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew
2017 Wildwood XLite 196BH
22 REPLIES 22

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think that after three pages of replies and some that are getting to be off topic and complaining about the forums instead, I am going to close this one. Thank you all for participating.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
For the OP....

a 2006 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 139" FX4 4WD has a RGAWR of 4,200 lbs. Very typical for this mid-range half ton

Info found in a quick search at: Carconnection.com, 2006 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 139" FX4 4WD Specs

A rear curb weight on the rear axle is listed as: 2,338 lbs (note that the rear spring rating is less than the RGAWR...3,850 vs 4,200, whats up with that?)

4,200 - 2,338 = 1,862 lbs

OP says about 1,000 lbs in the truck. So that means it leaves about 862 lbs left for the WD Hitch system and tongue

A 7,700 lb GVWR trailer and if like most trailer OEM's, it will have about 10% tongue weight. Say it will weigh in around 7,000 lbs, which will have a tongue weight of around 700 lbs....or more depending on how the OP loads it, where the water (potable/grey/black tanks are located in reference to the trailer axles) and if that trailer OEM's tongue weight included the spare tire, propane tanks, propane fill, battery, etc

How much will those dealer installed things will weigh and eat into the 162 lbs left is only a guess

My guess is that trailer the OP is looking at will have an actual tongue weight around 1,000 lbs

The reserve the OP figures is based on the pull rating (GCWR), not the rear axle weight carry rating

Again, the wheels won't instantly fall off...they will fall/fail sooner

As for the comments of a 'C' clip semi-floater rear axle. Am another who has seen one come apart. In high school, built a 396 GTO for a buddy and on his first run on the local boulevard...the the guys sitting in the back seat informed buddy that his right rear wheel/tire was sticking out past the rear fender...he had busted the 'C' clip

Have seen a few busted 'C' clip trucks/SUVs sitting on the side of the road with the tire sticking out about 2 feet....and....several more axle/wheel/tires sitting on the highway side. Guess California has more than the folks who say they have never seen them....

My 1973 K5 was constantly wearing out the 'C' clip (replace about 4, IIRC), LS was breaking and the disc's were coming off in pieces and the rear bearing (always the right rear) was always coming apart (the cage distorted and allowed roller so come out...lucky they stayed in the axle tube. Change the whole suspension to a Dana 60 front and GM 14 bolt full floater

Just donated the 1980 silverado C10 Big Ten (the HD, higher rated half ton of it's day). 1 ton coil helper springs on top of the rear axle tube. Its rear right bearing was always allowing a roller to get loose. Stopped towing with it after almost killing myself and two workers up in the windfarm in Tehachapi (Arbutus) towing a +14,000 lb utility trailer....it became my rental property truck and hailed gravel/dirt/fire-wood/wood-pellets/etc. About 3,000 lbs in the bed, which had a steel cap (guessing about 200 lbs)

All a 'can do', but not for long...nor as safely if under the OEM's ratings...

VA_Camper wrote:
I have a 2006 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew with the following specs.

5.4L V8 Engine
3.73 gearing
139" wheel base
5509 curb weight
7200 GVWR
9200 Towing
With passengers, bikes, wood, etc. I would say that we have about 1000 pounds in the truck. Mainly because typically my wife and kids come later in a different vehicle. It could be more if we all ride together.

The trailer I am looking at has the following specs
2019 Heartland Pioneer 270BH
7700 GVWR
680 Hitch weight
32'-3" long back to tongue

The way I have it calculated is that I have combined trailer weight of 14189 with a GCWR of 16400. So, I have a reserved of 2211 pounds. So, numbers wise I should be fine. With a good WDH. I know the truck is capable. We have a 19 foot camper that it pulls fantastic. I have pulled a 24' camper with half ton trucks in the past without an issue. I am just wondering if it will pull it without damaging a 13 year old truck.

Opinions are welcome, please let me know what you think.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
VA_Camper wrote:
Right now our longest trips are typically 60 miles. Because I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. Anywhere I go, typically requires me to go over a decent hill or mountain. We have thought of taking it towards the coast. That would definitely require us to have 5 mile climb.

I routinely take my 2013 up Black Mountain, a 7 mile 6% grade, and 321 a 6 mile with 7% grade, and 16 with a 7% grade. As I did my 2004. So take off for the ocean. it's great. Just get a reservation first
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
twodownzero wrote:
You are out of payload before even getting in the truck. 5500 curb weight + 1000 pounds of stuff + 700 pounds of tongue weight on your unloaded trailer and you'll have no GVWR left for passengers. If your 1k estimate is right and includes passengers, even a few pound increase in hitch weight puts you over GVWR.

I think it'd be suicide to try to hitch these two together. Anything over 28-30 feet with a 1/2 ton is pushing it. On a heavy 4 door 1/2 ton, especially so.

Good thing I didn't ask you if my 2002 Expedition would tow my 27' TT. Cause it did, and did it well, and good thing I didn't ask you if my 2004 F150 would tow my 27' or my 30' TT. Cause it did, and did it VERY well, and good thing I didn't ask you if my 2013 F150 will tow my current 30' TT, Cause it does a GREAT job, and you know what. There has been no suicide, or even thoughts of it. In fact. My 2013 F150 will once again be towing my 30' 7500lb GVWR TT up the mountains again this summer. And it will do it effortlessly. As it has done it for the past 4 years.

I guess that is the difference between those of us that can, and those of us that can't.

Don't worry about the horses boys. Just load the wagon.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
Unfortunately you're really not going to get any useful information from this forum. Everybody's either going to try to convince you that you can tow anything, or you're going to die for even considering this. Neither is true, but few seem to be able to talk reasonably, and nobody listens to the ones with reasonable answers. It's all about glomming on to the person that tells you what you want to hear.

So, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a new truck, listen to "suicide."

If you don't want to buy a new truck, listen to "tows anything."

I'm done trying to talk reason on this forum.

And the OP didn't even ask to be read his miranda rights by the weight cops. He was asking more about the wear n tear on an older pickup being an issue even though he's within reason on the overall trailer weight. He did not include enough information for any of us to give advice there, hence my comment about the truck's health and condition.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
twodownzero wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
"I think it'd be suicide to try to hitch these two together."

Wow! Suicide! Never really thought of it that way....Admittedly it will be slow up hill and drinking gas like an alcoholic the whole time, but "suicide" is a bit harsh.
I'd do it, but I'd prefer more power and gears than that truck provides.
The bigger question is the health of a 13 year old pickup. Short trips like the OP mentions are likely pretty benign if the truck is in decent shape, but the age, miles, condition and driver knowledge/skill/comfort level are AS important if not more than the printed recommendations for the vehicle. (Within reason of course)

No, the real question is the P-metric tires and the C clip rear axle and when they decide to exit each other. It isn't like a 3/4 or 1 ton truck where the axle itself is rated for over 10,000 lbs even though the tires are only rated for 6400. Granted a 3/4 ton truck isn't going to have the suspension to support that kind of weight regardless of tires, but at least the other hard parts are rated for way beyond the soft ones like the tires.

Once the paper mache tires either give out or start swaying, or the rear axle gives out (take your pick between the single tapered axle bearing, c clip, or worse), you have no reserve. Suicide is modest compared to coming down a mountain with all that weight riding on one tiny axle shaft per side.

Who says it has P metric tires? Truck is 13 years old. Went back and looked, OP didn't say that, however it very well could have P, XL or LT tires. Either way, even the OE P tires are very unlikely to pop unless there's something wrong with them or they hit a road hazard. Not condoning it publicly, but I've tried to kill many sets of cheap OE P rated tires on new half tons and a 44psi P truck tire does pretty well from 40 up to 55psi. Stiffens them right up for those big loads! (Seriously)
We get it, you're one of the few people that's launched an axle shaft out the side of a 1/2 ton truck. I'm sure it cost you a new drivers seat cover and pair of shorts. But the odds are also still strongly in favor of the 1,000,000s of 1/2 tons that HAVEN'T popped a c clip while towing.

Mkirsch is right. This used to be entertaining, but it get's more inane by the day.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
You are missing some important info, but first, I do not provide 'sure you can' and if that is what the OP is looking for...wait a while and there will be tons of them. Just note that is only one person responsible for the setup and that is the driver...no matter how many copies of 'sure you can' they have next to them...I'll provide some HOW2's for the OP to figure it out themselves

You are close and congrats on that. Missing are the actual weights and RGAWR

Most all weight is on the TV's rear axle. Just step back and look at your TV's side-view. Noting where the midpoint is between the front axle and rear axle. Normally it is at the driver door rear edge. ON a crew, it might be farther behind that, but not by much

That means most all of the stuff put into/onto the TV will have the weight on the rear axle and is where most TV's get into ratings trouble. Look at the different classes or categories within our Light Truck Class. Lowest class has RGAWR's below 5,000 lbs RGAWR. Higher class will have RGAWR's at 6,000 lbs or more

Then load up as if going RV'ing and weigh your TV, axle by axle.

Then re-do the simple math using that new info vs your TV's ratings

Over won't have the wheels instantly fall off...just sooner...and longer braking distance, etc
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unfortunately you're really not going to get any useful information from this forum. Everybody's either going to try to convince you that you can tow anything, or you're going to die for even considering this. Neither is true, but few seem to be able to talk reasonably, and nobody listens to the ones with reasonable answers. It's all about glomming on to the person that tells you what you want to hear.

So, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a new truck, listen to "suicide."

If you don't want to buy a new truck, listen to "tows anything."

I'm done trying to talk reason on this forum.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Wow! Suicide! Never really thought of it that way....Admittedly it will be slow up hill and drinking gas like an alcoholic the whole time, but "suicide" is a bit harsh.
The bigger question is the health of a 13 year old pickup. Short trips like the OP mentions are likely pretty benign if the truck is in decent shape, but the age, miles, condition and driver knowledge/skill/comfort level are AS important if not more than the printed recommendations for the vehicle. (Within reason of course)

No, the real question is the P-metric tires and the C clip rear axle and when they decide to exit each other. It isn't like a 3/4 or 1 ton truck where the axle itself is rated for over 10,000 lbs even though the tires are only rated for 6400. Granted a 3/4 ton truck isn't going to have the suspension to support that kind of weight regardless of tires, but at least the other hard parts are rated for way beyond the soft ones like the tires.

Once the paper mache tires either give out or start swaying, or the rear axle gives out (take your pick between the single tapered axle bearing, c clip, or worse), you have no reserve. Suicide is modest compared to coming down a mountain with all that weight riding on one tiny axle shaft per side.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
We're gearing up to do this years trip of 2,100 miles each way in my 26 year old truck and I have zero doubts it will be fine.

Do your regular maintenance, make sure all your fluid coolers are cleaned and not jambed full of leaves and dirt, make sure your brake pads are above 50% and have fun!
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
After having towed a 30' 7400 GVWR TT with a 04 5.4 with 3.55 rears in the mountains of NC. I REALLY do not see a problem. You should have no trouble towing that TT as long as the truck is in good shape.

Yes I hauled wood, and bikes. The 04, 5.4, 3.55. towed it like a champ. Super steady, and no sway at all. Would not hesitate to take it across country.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, hopefully the OP has a payload sticker, so we have a number to start with.
But I agree that he'll easily be over payload, with the loaded tongue weight and a WDH.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
You are out of payload before even getting in the truck. 5500 curb weight + 1000 pounds of stuff + 700 pounds of tongue weight on your unloaded trailer and you'll have no GVWR left for passengers. If your 1k estimate is right and includes passengers, even a few pound increase in hitch weight puts you over GVWR.

I think it'd be suicide to try to hitch these two together. Anything over 28-30 feet with a 1/2 ton is pushing it. On a heavy 4 door 1/2 ton, especially so.