Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Festivals

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Evening everyone,

Just had a thought for something that might be fun, but I don't have a clue how or if it would work.

I'm a big fan of outdoor music festivals, and thought it would be fun to travel to visit some. Haven't done a music fest in a while, and not at all since I began Rving, but wondering if I should give it a try. A reason to travel with purpose I guess. My guess is that there are probably not many venues where one could camp within sight of a stage (think Woodstock) but maybe I'm wrong.

Has anyone here done any festivals as a destination while RVing?

Mind sharing your experiences if you have, especially whether you were able to stay in your RV at the venue? ( or within walking distance) Where you went, any you recommend?

Am I being crazy or is it something to consider?

Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
We did Creation Fest in PA a few times when my son was a teen/pre-teen.

Then we realized 80,000 to 100,000 people was kinda insane.
We had fun but man oh man was it crowded.

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
We are always on the hunt for bluegrass festivals during our travels. The best ones are the small ones. The best music can often be found in the CG after the stage shows have finished. We are also on the lookout for Scottish highland games & Irish festivals but they are not so plentyful with onsite camping.

Don't enjoy the huge festivals at all. Been to Grey Fox in NY. Won't be going back.

RVs are made for festivals but life is much easier if the RV is well suited for dry camping i.e. it needs large tanks & a large battery bank since most off the festivals have limited services camping if any at all.

There is a Celtic Festival this weekend in Sherman, TX this Saturday. Itโ€™s only the second year for it and weโ€™ve never been so donโ€™t know how good it is, but though Iโ€™d share. Sherman Celtic Festival
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Corky12 wrote:
Red Ants Pants Festival, White Sulphur Springs, MT
Looks a little large. What is the genre of music? Might be able to make that one.
This one is country, weekend of July 28. Magic City Blues Festival the following weekend in Billings, MT, and Rockin the Rivers the weekend after that in Three Forks, Mt. Take your pick, something for everyone.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Corky12 wrote:
Looks a little large. What is the genre of music? Might be able to make that one.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:

Don't enjoy the huge festivals at all. Been to Grey Fox in NY. Won't be going back.

RVs are made for festivals but life is much easier if the RV is well suited for dry camping i.e. it needs large tanks & a large battery bank since most off the festivals have limited services camping if any at all.

I don't like the big ones, either. There are smaller fests in Missouri and Arkansas that i like
2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out the Gorge at George, WA

Gorge Campground

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all,,some great thoughts and resources.

Should have clarified in the OP; dry camping was what I was referring to, not an RV park. I like the idea of being within sight or earshot of the fun, and not have to drive anywhere.

Guess I'll start researching and see what festivals offer what types of options. Thinking the idea is doable!

Thanks again. Any other thoughts/suggestions, please keep them coming.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Many festivals don't have camping at site, but there is usually camping nearby. Sometimes you get a group of festival-goers at the campground.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

banjo
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in central Texas come see us. Everything you need to know in on the website.
Link is at the bottom.
Banjo
2011 3500 DRW D/A CC LB 4X4
2011 Cameo 34SB3

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure we use our RV to go to lots of events but never have stayed on the actual grounds where the event takes place as many of them are held indoors. We attempt to find a nice state or COE park or something similar, private parks are always a last resort option for us. We love dry camping as well and will camp in a nearby area to the event if that is possible, particularly if festivals are held in the mountains or woodsy areas.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
We used to do craft festivals, The best site we had found for locating them was,,,,
www.festivalnet.com
music to crafts to special interest, all are included with a search based on state or province and monthly calandars to aid in pre planning.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We regularly go to several such in any given season. Some you can get a place with electric if you are there a week early. We never are, so we dry camp and run our own APU a lot. We also use their showers and euphemism as much as we can. If we do it all right, we can make the five days without needing to move. One we rarely miss is the Dulcimer Fest at Evart MI. It is too far from anything to be convenient and jams literally go on all night. In the postings they tell you that there are no "Quiet Hours". If you want quiet, you are in the wrong place.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are always on the hunt for bluegrass festivals during our travels. The best ones are the small ones. The best music can often be found in the CG after the stage shows have finished. We are also on the lookout for Scottish highland games & Irish festivals but they are not so plentyful with onsite camping.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995