cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Adventure!

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
So the first adventure went great. We rented a Coachman 17 BH Cadet. The owner didn’t have a weight distributing hitch, but did supply a sway bar. A couple observation/notes:

1) The Durango had no issues towing the trailer the 250 miles to the campsite. No slogging up hills or high RPMs…I think I topped out at ~3,000rpm when I was merging onto the highways and engine temps stayed nice and stable consistent with normal driving. No sway issues, until I was going faster than I anticipated (i.e. I tried to keep to 65, but sometimes would go more – this is when I could feel the trailer move a bit). When I got passed by semi’s there was a slight pull, but it was only slightly more than I would have with the Durango alone if I were passed with the speed differential (i.e. they were going ~10 mph more than me). I did tighten the sway bar up by one turn and that seemed to stiffen the back end up a bit and it drove better on the way home.

2) Definitely like the trailer over a tent, however we were stepping all over each other with how tight the inside of the trailer was. We also had significant “issues” with not being able to separate us (the parents) from the kids when it was bedtime (i.e. lights on).

3) We did a dump after 2 days of use…there was significantly more gray water than black water. We did dishes for 5 meals and took 5 marine showers. Dumping was an easy affair.

4) As expected, my gas mileage tanked (pun intended)

5) I had a weird alert on my Durango – Service Shifter. However, once I took out the OBDII reader I had plugged in it went away. I wonder if the reader was providing some feedback of some kind.

We are definitely hooked on the trailer option and my wife commented that the weekend felt “normal” (i.e. not COVID-19ish).

So we will be looking to buy one and get some trips in before the long trip in a couple months.

I know some have commented on my earlier post, but I am leaning toward a Jayco Jay Flight SLX8 264BH. Dry is 4,595lbs, GVW is 6,000lbs. I will pair it with a good WDH and sway bars.
11 REPLIES 11

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some campgrounds allow you to put up one tent on the site. Depending on how old your kids are you may ; at times ; be able to put them outside in a tent.

I understand that in strange parks that you are not used to this may make you nervous. I camp close to home on the weekends so it is not a problem older children.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends tow a 26ft TT with a Durango and don't have any issues. So I would stay at 26 ft or below.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to General RVing Issues forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
While stopped it is almost never big enough and while traveling it is almost always too big.

Perfect statement!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
"2) Definitely like the trailer over a tent, however we were stepping all over each other with how tight the inside of the trailer was. We also had significant “issues” with not being able to separate us (the parents) from the kids when it was bedtime (i.e. lights on)."

I have camped in pup tents, wall tents, pop-up campers, slide in campers, travel trailers and a 32' motor home. They all have advantages and drawbacks and you figure out which one is best for you. A lot depends on where you want to camp and whether being with nature is the main feature or just a home away from home that allows you to be comfortable while enjoying living somewhere else for a time. While stopped it is almost never big enough and while traveling it is almost always too big.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you enjoyed your first RV experience.
I have to concur with the other posts. Your desired TT is 50% more weight and that or more in sail area to push you around in wind. I understand the need for more interior space. If you can, try another rental of the size desired. Even just having a friend loan you one for a tow test will open your eyes on your TV capabilities.
I bought my TT undersized (I thought) for my tow rating of my then TV, 2008 Explorer. On paper, everything was within spec. AFTER I CAT Scaled the rig, found out I was overloading the TV rear and TT axles. Removed a lot of weight, got everything truly with specs. Still a hard tow from the engine strength. Other aspects good with the WDH. Same TT, new truck, great tow, with and without WDH but still using the WDH.
I will say always use the TT GVWR as the assumed towing weight in your calculations.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
We had a friend that had a Durango and bought a similar sized trailer (it was a Wildwood). He pulled it a couple times with the Durango on short trips before trading in the Durango for an F150.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Consider doing your dishes in plastic tubes in the sink and dumping them into the black tank via the toilet. Lots of water in the black tank is a key to good dumping. If dry camping you could also use dishwater to flush the toilet. The proposed Jayco is too much for the Durango IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless you are wanting a new truck, I’d look for something about halfway between those trailers. A 30’ trailer with a Durango is not going to be a pleasant drive. Cross winds and vehicles passing you will not be fun. The trailer wiggling the truck around will exhaust you from being tensed the whole time you are towing.

I totally understand wanting the bigger camper with the kids but I’d highly suggest trying to rent something the size you are looking at before purchasing, unless you are ok with upgrading tow vehicles.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Raife wrote:

I know some have commented on my earlier post, but I am leaning toward a Jayco Jay Flight SLX8 264BH. Dry is 4,595lbs, GVW is 6,000lbs. I will pair it with a good WDH and sway bars.

IMHO, there's no way i'd tow a nearly 30ft TT with a Durango.:E
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you had a nice time.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point