cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First Long Road Trip

Lusson
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm a first time camper owner and seeing if there is anything I'm missing to be ready for our long trips this summer.

I have a 36' long Travel Trailer finally I believe got my Hitch setup right after taking it to the scale last week. I may do some more checks after the items below.

Installing a second Curt Sway Bar
Getting Load Range E Tires put on my SUV
Got things weighed and got my hitch weight at 950lbs on a 7700lb trailer. With everything loaded in my SUV.
Front and Rear Tires are same spacing as unloaded with Dist. Hitch System.

Only thing curious is the tires and second sway bar will increase travel comfort. On my Dist. hitch I had it on the 3rd link and here is the info I had from the scale.
No Trailer Axle Weights
Front 3340lbs with 36" Spacing
Rear 3480lbs with 36" spacing

Axle Weights On Link 3
Front 3220lbs with 36" spacing
Rear 4540lbs with 33" Spacing
20% Tounge weight

Axle Weights On Link 4
Front 3340lbs with 36" spacing
Rear 4360lbs with 34 3/4" spacing
15% Tounge weight

I'm going to see if I go up to link 5 if that does anything and weight it again but thinking link 4 is the one to go with. But noticed if I got above 65mph on link 3 it got a little light so see how it goes on link 4 and even link 5 for driving comfort.
24 REPLIES 24

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lusson wrote:
Trailer Axle weight is yes 7700lbs from the scale. According to my car it can tow 9400lbs but has a GCVW of 15,900 rating as well.

As far as trips we only go camping about an hour away normally and plan to take one long trip a year. This year going from Iowa to Mount Rushmore.

The scale fully loaded with gear and people said I was at 14,500.

Something still off with the weight data as the trailer axle weights will change with the adjustments to the WDH but it sounds like you are probably within ratings.

Unless there is an existing issue, why mess with a 2nd sway control bar. If you really are at 15% hitch weight, sway isn't very likely.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
4 links is PERFECT. You've returned 100% of the unloaded weight back to the front axle of the tow vehicle. That's ideal. More is not better, and may well cause problems because many modern trucks these days have bump stops that engage at unloaded ride height, and trying to push past these with a WD hitch can damage the suspension.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Lusson
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Axle weight is yes 7700lbs from the scale. According to my car it can tow 9400lbs but has a GCVW of 15,900 rating as well.

As far as trips we only go camping about an hour away normally and plan to take one long trip a year. This year going from Iowa to Mount Rushmore.

The scale fully loaded with gear and people said I was at 14,500.

Tommyp228
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t think they ever made a 3/4 ton Expedition.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lusson wrote:
The weights that I posted are the Axle weights from a scale weigh. Yes pulling it with a 3/4 ton EL Expedition with Transmission Cooler and Heavy Duty towing package.

My Towing capacity is 9400lbs and the scale said with everything I have loaded it weighs 7700lbs on the travel trailer.

Updated the post showing the Axle weights yes from the scale empty and with the different link hook-ups.

You are still missing the trailer axle weights. So it's still not clear (likely you will get a single weight for both axles as the pads usually aren't set up to get them independently). Is that the 7700lb or is the 7700lb the total weight of the trailer?

Also, what are the ratings from the door sticker for the axle and GVWR.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Weight wise and vehicle wise, you're just fine.
I don't understand the "second sway bar" thing. Is one not enough? How bad was it with none or 1 sway bar? Have you actually just taken 'er out for a rip down the highway at warp speed and see how it handles? Beats internet experts telling you you're 2 cans of beans heavy on the left side and make sure your tires are at 63.2 psi....
And Expeditions aren't "3/4 ton" or class 2 rigs. Doesn't mean it's not capable, just a considerably lighter duty than a 3/4 ton.

Have fun camping!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lusson
Explorer
Explorer
The weights that I posted are the Axle weights from a scale weigh. Yes pulling it with a 3/4 ton EL Expedition with Transmission Cooler and Heavy Duty towing package.

My Towing capacity is 9400lbs and the scale said with everything I have loaded it weighs 7700lbs on the travel trailer.

Updated the post showing the Axle weights yes from the scale empty and with the different link hook-ups.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
What are you towing with and what are the ratings on that truck? Preferably direct from the door sticker as the websites may not show your exact truck configuration.

Also, what do you mean by "spacing"? I'm guessing, you are measuring the wheel well height or something but just not clear.

Do you have the actual axle weights from each weigh (preferably including a weigh with the WDH disconnected also)?

Something is off on your calculations. 950lb on a 7700lb trailer would be 12.3% hitch weight (or are you implying a 8650lb trailer of which 950lb is on the hitch)...but your summary indicates 20% & 15% hitch weight and if I back calculate, I'm not coming up with 950lb anyway.

As mentioned above, that's a lot of trailer for most SUVs. Now if you have one of the 3/4 ton suburbans, that might be fine...a lot of the lighter duty SUVs will be pretty marginal.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to say but unless you have a 3/4 ton SUV, a 36ft long trailer is WAY too much trailer for a 1/2 ton SUV. A good WDH isn't enough.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you headed on your maiden long trip?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad