Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For those concerned about driving through Atlanta - a primer

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
HOW TO DRIVE IN ATLANTA:
1. You must first learn to pronounce the city name, Atlana. Old-timers are still allowed to call it Alana.

2. The morning rush hour is from 5:00 am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 7:00 pm. Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.

3. The minimum acceptable speed on I-285 is 80 mph. On I-75 and I-85, your speed is expected to at least match the highway number. Anything less is considered 'Wussy'.

4. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Atlanta has its own version of traffic rules. For example, Ferraris and Lamborghinis owned by sports stars go first at a four-way stop. Cars/trucks with the loudest muffler go second. The trucks with the biggest tires go third. The HOV lanes are really designed just for the slow Floridians passing through who are used to hogging the left lane everywhere.

5. If you actually stop at a yellow light or stop sign, you will be rear ended, cussed out, and possibly shot. Unless there is a police car nearby.

6. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously. It's another offense that can get you shot.

7. Road construction is permanent and continuous. Detour barrels are moved around for your entertainment pleasure during the middle of the night to make the next day's driving a bit more exciting. Generally, city roads other than the main streets have more potholes and bumps (usually speed bumps) than most dirt roads in the countryside.

8. Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, possums, skunks, dogs, barrels, cones, furniture, cats, mattresses, shredded tires, squirrels, rabbits, and crows.

9. Be aware that spelling of street names may change from block to block, e.g., Clairmont, Claremont, Clairmonte.

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been โ€œaccidentally activatedโ€.

11. If you are in the left lane and only driving 75 in a 55-65 mph zone, k, e.g., you are considered a road hazard and will be โ€œflipped offโ€ accordingly. If you return the flip, you'll be shot.

12. For summer driving, it is advisable to wear potholders on your hands.
26 REPLIES 26

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I noticed that was missing when I copied the list from another site was: The old ladder in the roadway. We seem to get a fair amount of those.

deweysmith5
Explorer
Explorer
1. Will Boston over Atlanta any day. Will take Atlanta over Chicago.
2. Ran over a mattress on I75 once in Atlanta.
3. Every road, street, avenue, boulevard is named Peachtree.
2016 Cougar xlite 27rks
2015 Duramax Z71 Silverado
The Wife, The Lab, and sometimes a grandkid or two

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Have gone through Atlanta many, many times on the bypass and I rely on my Garmin GPS and common sense to keep me in the correct lane. Gives me lots of notice to move over. Sometimes have to be a little aggressive to change lanes but when people see 60 ft of truck and trailer coming over they usually let you in. Not any worse than 401 across the top of Toronto. I do not know when people freak over Atlanta. Just drive it.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I went through on a Friday at noon, if that's all Atlanta has to offer give me more! I'll take Atlanta traffic anytime!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I've read plenty of "Worst Traffic Cities in the US" news stories. I've never seen Atlanta ranked in the top 10. Here's an example.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven through and around Atlanta annually
for forty years.
I can see no problem.

Compared to the 401 through Toronto,
driving I75 through Atlanta is a stroll
down a country lane!
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing that makes Atlanta even more "fun" is snow - which we have discovered turns immediately into Black Ice, the likes of which we have never seen in Michigan - and which also seems to make the locals freak out and IMMEDIATELY lock up their brakes......
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
I live near Atlanta and I can offer only 2 corrections to your list.

Item 2 - minor correction: The speed limits are clearly marked on the interstates on those red, white and blue signs. There are 3 speed limits in Atlanta; 75, 85 and 285. BTW: In case you had some worries, the 285 actually means "85 MPH going 2 directions around in a circle"

Additional item - which Hiking Hunter got - every street is named Peachtree.
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Atlanta is not that bad...but if you can't stand traffic nad want to be a fuddy duddy, then drive at night and don't stop...lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Most of us know that the major urban cities are going to be a p.i.t.a. in a motorhome.

But there are also smaller cities where the confusing roads, traffic and drivers are bad out of proportion to the city's size.

I nominate Tulsa. With Salt Lake City just a tad behind. Any others??

I405 in Seattle is getting weird, we now have two HOV lanes between Bellevue and some place north. One lane is HOV with 3+, the other one you can drive in if you pay money (more road taxes, even though we have crappy roads and one of the highest state gas taxes around).
And there is nevera time when that freeway is not crowded, we've even tried driving on 405 at 0300, still bumper to bumper through Bellevue.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Most of us know that the major urban cities are going to be a p.i.t.a. in a motorhome.

But there are also smaller cities where the confusing roads, traffic and drivers are bad out of proportion to the city's size.

I nominate Tulsa. With Salt Lake City just a tad behind. Any others??

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now that you have got that down would you come on down to Dallas and teach us how to drive the canyons on I-30. The north 610 loop. or perhaps the some of the other easy places to drive like north 820/I-35W exchange in Fort Worth that was designated one of the most congested road in US. I drove Atlanta this summer and didn't think it was bad.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
Good post. I have found that my Garmin GPS with updated maps works good in getting through Atlanta. It will tell me what lane I need to be in in advance of any turns or lane change.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
Great tips Bob, we knew there had to be some secrets. Made our day and too good not to re-post on our FB page (with credit of course)! Thanks, Jack (https://www.facebook.com/OurSnowbirdRVTrails)
2011 Excel 30RSO, 32', 3 slides, 4-Season 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty, 6.2L V8, 385hp

Exploring & writing about life along the Snowbird RV Routes