cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Edge as a TV!!

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
i kid you not, a ford edge towing a very new looking 3 axle airstream!
spotted in st Andrews nb, Canada. ny plates I think. couldn't get the camera quick enough for a pic
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260
16 REPLIES 16

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
From my Ford Edge Owner's Manual.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
i kid you not, a ford edge towing a very new looking 3 axle airstream!
spotted in st Andrews nb, Canada. ny plates I think. couldn't get the camera quick enough for a pic
That's nothing...

Saw this rig backing into the spot next to me the other day!

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
My next door neighbors just bought a 2018 Jayflight SLX7 as their first camper. It has a UVW of 2890 and a GVWR of 3750. I checked his hitch weight after they loaded it up with their "stuff" for their maiden voyage and it was right at 390. Towing it with a 2013 Ford Edge. I was surprised that the front of his vehicle only raised up about 1/2" when he hooked up the camper. He said it towed just fine with no steering or sway issues and didn't feel any different when a tractor trailer passed him. He has a standard hitch (unknown make) with no weight distribution but it does have a single anti-sway bar. I guess for a small camper they do just fine as a tow vehicle.

That's because there is virtually no overhang from the rear axle to hitch. makes for a very good towing platform......within reason!

I didn't think about that but you're right. His hitch ball isn't more than 18 inches behind the axle.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
My next door neighbors just bought a 2018 Jayflight SLX7 as their first camper. It has a UVW of 2890 and a GVWR of 3750.
He said it towed just fine with no steering or sway issues and didn't feel any different when a tractor trailer passed him.

The Ford Edge Trailer Tow option includes "Trailer Sway Control" built into the anti-lock brakes
RobWNY wrote:
He has a standard hitch (unknown make) with no weight distribution but it does have a single anti-sway bar.

That is hard to believe ! I am certain the TT had good electric brakes and he added a brake controller to the tow vehicle.

You can believe it. Why would I make that up? The trailer is brand new so I would assume the trailer brakes are good and yes, he does have a brake controller that the dealer installed. As for the lack of a weight distribution hitch, I asked him and he told me he inquired about buying one but the dealer told him he didn't need one.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
carringb wrote:
Would have been nice to see a pic!

The powertrain, especially the Sport model (2.7L twin turbo from the F150) should be able to handle it fine.

The older Edge Sport came with the 3.7L (non turbo) V6. The Trailer Tow option does NOT include a heavy duty radiator or auxiliary transmission cooler and only a 4 wire harness.. Also the Sport models came with 20" rims and extremely low profile (50 series) tires. You could not order the Sport with the Trailer Tow Option.

The 2.7L EcoBoost turbocharged was not available until 2015MY.

carringb wrote:
Just would interesting to see how the hitch receiver is setup, since normally they max out at 5,000 for the Edge.

Ford says the Trailer Tow Option was/is only Class II (3,500 lbs) but it does have a 2" receiver tube.

For 2019MY, all Edge models will have a newly designed 8 speed transmission and the Trailer Tow Option will require AWD.

Not that it makes a big difference, but the Edge Sport, at least the older ones came with 22" wheels. We were considering them before we bought our current 13 Explorer LTD with the factory tow pkg, good for 5k lbs. I tow our 3 snowmobiles with ours. It does pretty good. BTW the integrated sway control is awesome!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
My next door neighbors just bought a 2018 Jayflight SLX7 as their first camper. It has a UVW of 2890 and a GVWR of 3750. I checked his hitch weight after they loaded it up with their "stuff" for their maiden voyage and it was right at 390. Towing it with a 2013 Ford Edge. I was surprised that the front of his vehicle only raised up about 1/2" when he hooked up the camper. He said it towed just fine with no steering or sway issues and didn't feel any different when a tractor trailer passed him. He has a standard hitch (unknown make) with no weight distribution but it does have a single anti-sway bar. I guess for a small camper they do just fine as a tow vehicle.

That's because there is virtually no overhang from the rear axle to hitch. makes for a very good towing platform......within reason!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Ford says the Trailer Tow Option was/is only Class II (3,500 lbs) but it does have a 2" receiver tube.

Drawtite has a receiver for 675#/4,500#.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Edge/2018/75234.html?vehicleid=201842260
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
My next door neighbors just bought a 2018 Jayflight SLX7 as their first camper. It has a UVW of 2890 and a GVWR of 3750.
He said it towed just fine with no steering or sway issues and didn't feel any different when a tractor trailer passed him.

The Ford Edge Trailer Tow option includes "Trailer Sway Control" built into the anti-lock brakes
RobWNY wrote:
He has a standard hitch (unknown make) with no weight distribution but it does have a single anti-sway bar.

That is hard to believe ! I am certain the TT had good electric brakes and he added a brake controller to the tow vehicle.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:

The powertrain, especially the Sport model (2.7L twin turbo from the F150) should be able to handle it fine.

The older Edge Sport came with the 3.7L (non turbo) V6. The Trailer Tow option does NOT include a heavy duty radiator or auxiliary transmission cooler and only a 4 wire harness.. Also the Sport models came with 20" rims and extremely low profile (50 series) tires. You could not order the Sport with the Trailer Tow Option.

The 2.7L EcoBoost turbocharged was not available until 2015MY.

carringb wrote:
Just would interesting to see how the hitch receiver is setup, since normally they max out at 5,000 for the Edge.

For 2019MY, all Edge models will have a newly designed 8 speed transmission and the Trailer Tow Option will require AWD.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ That is a wholly impossible feat according to many living in rvnet fairyland, but I for one do not doubt you a bit.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
by the way, I did get a brief glimpse of a big chunk of orange iron between the tt and tv, so I assume a Hensley hitch
2008 KZ Spree 260

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
we visited can am when we first considered a trailer, they suggested that our ford windstar that we then had could tow a 24 ft airstream(4000 lb dry), but that was way beyond our pocket book!! can am is only as hour away from us
we wound up with a 19 ft flat sided trailer. the poor ford could barely drag it up a decent hill.

but engines and transmissions have come a long way since our windstar, it was grossly underpowered and the 4 speed automatic needed another gear between 3 and 4th. similar experience with the next combination, Dakota/22ft flat sided trailer, not enough engine/transmission

I saw a picture of a very similar ford/3 axle airstream on the canam website in a picture of new Brunswick Canada(hartland covered bridge), it was going up a short very steep grade, I know the area well.

not for me, we do like our heavy solid ram 1500, towing well under its rated payload capacity, our flat sided trailer has a lot more drag than their airstreams but fuel economy is still near their numbers

I would be concerned with wear and tear on the tv, especially chassis components. elaborate suspension systems are expensive especially to repair and how long is a highly tuned small engine going to last when producing high power levels for long periods of time. we opted for a v8 rather than a turbo 6 for example for that reason
2008 KZ Spree 260

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:

The powertrain, especially the Sport model (2.7L twin turbo from the F150) should be able to handle it fine. Just would interesting to see how the hitch receiver is setup, since normally they max out at 5,000 for the Edge.

Here is an article written by Can-Amโ€™s owner, Andy Thomson concerning the Ford Flex they set up for towing.

Can-Am Hitchc Hints

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~