cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen Y Hitch

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
While browsing for my next toy hauler, I have been looking into replacing the existing pin box with a Gen Y. But when you look into videos and such, it seems the majority of people opt for the Gen Y gooseneck coupler rather than the 5th wheel king pin box.

I know gooseneck hitches are preferable for hauling horse trailers, etc since they have much for room for an angle when hauling a trailer off road. But other than that, I just don't understand.

Does anyone have any idea why a gooseneck conversion is preferred versus a good quality 5th wheel king pin? I plan to use it on a triple axle toy hauler with really no need to go off-road.
8 REPLIES 8

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
mkirsch wrote:
It doesn't take a genius to figure out why a gooseneck MIGHT be preferred: A 5lb ball that you pop out and flip over, vs. a 250lb structure that is significantly more effort to install and remove no matter how you do it.

If you are a rancher who needs the bed clear to haul hay or other stuff ever week and you go camping every weekend, that's a legitimate consideration. Saving a few minutes has some value.

Of course, that's balanced against the ease of just backing into a 5er hitch that's easy to see in the rear view mirror...again, not a deal breaker but easier than aligning to a ball and then climbing over the edge of the truck to hook up chains...it's a trade off.

Reality is the vast majority of folks towing 5ers have a big pickup primarily to tow the 5er, so leaving the hitch in the bed isn't a big deal most of the time.

Also, pulling 4 pins and lifting out while attached to the 5er, is more effort but hardly a deal breaker if it's 3-4 times per year.

So the "preferred" associated with gooseneck at best would be for a small subsection of 5er owners.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'm going to stick with the fifth wheel hitch I've already ordered. Its what I'm used to and I can still go with the Gen Y set-up with a king pin.

Yes, the fifth wheel hitch takes up far more room but I have the pin that I can hook up to a chain and lift it out with my front end loader on my tractor.

I know people can "push" a particular product on YouTube but this company sells both the gooseneck hitch and king pin fifth wheel hitches. The fact more videos from people using the gooseneck; I don't see them pushing anything.

Now I will admit one thing they seemed to be touting that raised my eyebrows: That some people have seen a 2-3 mpg improvement using the gooseneck versus king pin. That doesn't make any sense to me.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You can't say for sure one way or the other which is "preferred" based on the data. It may SEEM to be preferred but that may or may not actually be true.

Going by what you see at campgrounds, you're going to largely see the "sheep" that did what the RV salesperson said because they didn't know any better and could not be bothered to do their own homework. They tend to go with the cheapest option, or blindly buy whatever the salesperson recommends. Show up at a campground with something different and you'll get all kinds of attention, "Oooh, where did you get THAT!"

It doesn't take a genius to figure out why a gooseneck MIGHT be preferred: A 5lb ball that you pop out and flip over, vs. a 250lb structure that is significantly more effort to install and remove no matter how you do it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
As I said, take youtube with a huge grain of salt as they are mostly "advertainment" when talking about products. The guy with a standard 5er hitch with no issues, generally isn't going to post about it.

So the premise of the original post that it's the "preferred" option is still false.

If the manufacture says it won't void the void the warranty, it's an option to go either way. As far as off road, usually, it's hitting the truck bed that's the limitation. Most 5er hitches have some side to side rotation built in. Where stock trailers can tilt more, is the overhang is narrow and much higher above the truck bed.

As far as day to day use, a 5er hitch is easier to use but it takes up bed space if you will be frequently using the truck for other purposes (far less of an issue while towing). Nothing earthshattering difficult but a little more of a hassle. (If you have the quick disconnects for the hitch from the pickup bed, it's not a big deal to leave the hitch connected to the trailer and just leave it connected to the trailer when you disconnect).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody told me a gooseneck is preferred. But when I research the Gen Y hitches on YouTube, it appears the majority of people are going gooseneck. Gen Y makes both types so I don't think it's a marketing ploy.

I do believe some manufacturers will void their warranty and many of the YouTube comments say so. But if I get a new toy hauler and the gooseneck option is preferred, I might be able to talk the dealer into checking with the manufacturer before I take possession.

I ordered a 2023 F450 a little over a month ago. It's a 50/50 chance it gets made during the 2023 model year. I included the Reese hitch Ford sells. But if I decide to go with a gooseneck, there's no reason to pay $1750 for a fifth wheel hitch I don't plan to use.

I do believe the Gen Y hitch is an outstanding product. The design seems solid and I believe Luxe is using it as their standard.

I'm just trying to get educated on something I may not know, before dropping some money.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Who told you a gooseneck adapter is the preferred option?

Walking around campgrounds, a traditional 5th wheel hitch is by far the most commonly used option. Maybe one in 20 use a gooseneck. Never seen a "gen y" hitch in real life. I had to look up what it was.

Or are you looking at youtube videos with people promoting gen y hitches. Take youtube channels with a huge grain of salt. Most review items... they get for free or are paid by the manufacture to test. Unsurprisingly, those tests almost always are glowing and positive.

Not saying it's a good or bad product but it's hardly representative of the standard.

Only thing to verify is get in writing from the trailer manufacturer that it won't void the warranty as it does create a longer lever arm on the trailer frame.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't claim to know much about the different hitch options. However, many frame manufacturers will void the frame warranty if you use a gooseneck hitch with a 5th wheel trailer. Again, I don't know the GenY.

I have both a 5th wheel camper and Gooseneck horse trailer. I use the ball for the gooseneck and have a B&W companion for the 5th wheel. Easy to convert one to the other, just move the base out of the hole for the ball.

Using the B&W with the kingpin, is much easier to hook up than trying to align the ball. Connected, it is a solid connection, rides correctly and no modifications to the trailer. When not using the 5th wheel I either move the base forward or take it out of the truck if not going back and forth between trailers.

The reason horse trailers use a gooseneck hitch is because the frame is built differently than a 5th wheel, the trailer pulls from a different force vs the 5th wheel is centered higher on the 5th wheel pin.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
For one I believe they are cheaper. I'm sure someone will jump in with other reasons.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu