cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generators: Cummins 4500 vs Westinghouse vs. ?????

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I know this question has been asked before, but I did not really find a truly definitive answer.

I am looking to buy a quiet generator to use with my 5th wheel (50 amp with two AC units). I would use just one when I did not need the AC, but would want to have a second to power the AC units, when and if I needed to

I am leaning toward getting two smaller generators to run in parallel. Also am looking for a dual fuel option preferably so i can run off propane if needed.

Getting two Honda 3000 watts would be my preference but the cost is high so I am looking at the Cummins 4500. I have noticed that the Westinghouse 4500 appears to be nearly identical and from the reviews I have read it seems that they are very similar, but I still don't have a solid opinion on which to get.

The reviews I have read are very mixed and I am not sure which ones to believe / trust. It's difficult now with so many fake reviews out there.

From what I have read, many have said that they are the same generator, but they do have slightly different specs. The majority of the reviews seem to favor the Westinghouse, but I find it hard to believe that it would outperform a Cummins brand generator. On the other hand, many have said that the Cummins is not really made buy Cummins and is a cheap Chinese setup that is identical to several other cheaper models on the market...which may be true but I would still think that Cummins would not put their name on it if it were not of a reasonable level of quality.

So I don't know what to believe, nor what to buy.

Does anyone out there have experience or opinions on either of these generators or other similar options?

thanks
Matt
37 REPLIES 37

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Ive had a 4000 Champion open frame for 10 years now. I use it pretty often and it's never failed to start. Yes it's heavy & loud as it's not one of these new enclosed Inverter types . Just saying my Champion experience has been really great. Our "genny" needs are changing so I'm probably going with 2 duel fuel Inverter Champions as soon as I solve my golf car towing issue.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought the Champion 3100/2800 in 2018,and it does perform well, but is louder than I expected.
I wish I bought a Honda.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Actually I may stand corrected on the sound.....I just watched a review where they tested both under load and they were pretty close to the same volume. So volume may not be an issue.

Anyone else have a Champion?

Part of my reason for this post is to see actual experience from owners or people who know folks with these generators. Although online reviews are interesting, they don't compare to real people with real experience of ownership and using them under real conditions.

matt

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
I do like that Champion and people have said very good things about it. My only concern would be the noise level at 61db. That's a bit on the louder side of "quiet" generators.

I believe the Westinghouse and Cummins portable and similar variants are rated at 52DB. Because DB are a logarithmic scale the difference in 9DB should be fairly significant. Of course the way they are measured could be different (distance from generator and % load)

That is one other minor detail that makes me question if the Westinghouse and "Cummins" could truly be low quality. Generally the low quality and "cheap" generators are loud. 52DB is pretty impressively quiet.

I think I would pretty quickly jump on the Champion if it were quieter, but I might sacrifice volume for reliability.

Matt

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickthehunter wrote:
If you are only looking to run 1 air conditioner, this is the one I have. Should be no problem running the micro and air conditioner at the same time. Obviously, if you need to run both air conditioners, you're going to need two. (You'll also need the adapter for 30 amp to feed 2 - 50 amp.) Clicky

108 pounds? Not at my age.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Predator 3500 from Harbor Freight and it will run a single 15k AC unit easily. You can parallel it with another unit to run 2 AC's and the cost per generator is pretty reasonable, especially compared to similar Hondas. And it has good reviews and lots of videos on youtube. They do make a propane conversion and I'm pretty sure a remote start as aftermarket items.

My buddy has the Champion (I think it is 3800??) dual fuel so it will run on propane and he really likes it. So I think you would be good with either. I bought the Predator because I needed it that day and couldn't wait for Amazon. Otherwise, I might have looked closer at the Champion.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
bowler1 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I plan to use two in parallel if running both AC units. I know that the single unit would be a challenge to start both (might be doable, but I would not want to chance it).

I am mostly wondering about the brand.

Good point on the Champion company. I am not sure if they have a unit in this power range that is as quiet as the Cummins or Westinghouse.

I have heard that they are the same generator with different colors and stickers, but they actually do have slightly different specs. I think the dimensions and weight are slightly different. I have watched video reviews that claim a difference in performance, but I am not convinced.

Matt

I know the expense is more, but what you are wanting to do , I think I would go onboard Onan. Hauling and moving around two 3000 generators is no easy task.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are only looking to run 1 air conditioner, this is the one I have. Should be no problem running the micro and air conditioner at the same time. Obviously, if you need to run both air conditioners, you're going to need two. (You'll also need the adapter for 30 amp to feed 2 - 50 amp.) Clicky

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
bowler1 wrote:
I have seen generally good reviews on the Westinghouse, but poor reviews on the Cummins

Part of that may be due to different expectations for each brand.

Folks tend to buy the Cummins version with the expectation that they're getting a premium product for their money - and thus are disappointed with even small imperfections.

Folks tend to buy the Westinghouse version with the expectation that they're getting a great value - and thus are willing to overlook minor flaws.

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I would agree that the Cummins is not truly made by Cummins, but rather they just put their name on the outside. However, I would think that they would not be willing to do that if they did not feel the product was not of good quality. I would hope so at least. That's my theory at least, but not sure I want to bet $1k on it!

Funny thing is that if the Cummins and Westinghouse are identical it seems that the reviews on them are not consistent. But I don't really trust reviews (which is part of the problem).

I have seen generally good reviews on the Westinghouse, but poor reviews on the Cummins, which again is why I ask the question here to see if I can get some real world experience from people.

I did notice the Cummins has a 3 year warranty so that helps at least, as well as the fact that it is probably pretty easy to find a service center.

I will have to compare warranties on the Westinghouse and Champion.

Agree that the Yamaha is a good unit too, but they seem to be sold out just about everywhere.

Matt

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
I got the Westinghouse two years ago on a smokin sale for $599. It has been a fantastic genset. Love starting it in the evening, crawling in bed, watching TV or a DVD...... picking up the little remote and turning it off and going to sleep. My SIL and my brother have the Cumins and all three are identical.
Thanks, John

2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE
w/ Ford 7.3L V8

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
While a feel a Cummins engine is a good piece of equipment and a true Cummins generator is also good what you're looking at is not a Cummins.
I used to install the permanent mount air cooled automatic starting residential generators from Cummins; they came in 13kW and 20 kW sizes. The 20 kW used a Kohler engine, the 13 kW used a Subaru engine. Both units had lots of problems with quality control and electrical components. I finally quit putting them in and wouldn't recommend one.
The larger liquid cooled Cummins units were actually made by Cummins even though they used a Mitsubishi engine in the LP/Natural gas units.
I highly doubt Cummins had anything to do with a portable generator other than putting their name on the side.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would do twin Champion 3400 watt with remote electric start. I'd add a hybrid inverter/charger with load support.

Or twin Predator 3500 watt units--but there is no remote electric start.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
1. Honda
2. Yamaha
3. Champion
4. Preditor

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it says CUMMINS/ONAN then it's legit. Sad in my opinion to relabel junk. But IMHO it would be best to go with the name brand for sure.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD