cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glass Pantry Doors

CaddyJellyby
Explorer
Explorer
We just traded our Jayco bunkhouse for a Momentum 320G toy hauler and the new rig has a lot of glass cabinet doors and that kind of worries me. The pantry, in particular seems kind of scary. What if we stop fast and a can or a jar hits that glass? Has anyone ever broken the glass in a cabinet door this way? Does anyone take any particular precautions around this?

TIA!
5 REPLIES 5

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same delimma, where the previous owner modified five of the cabinet doors by disassembling them and removing the wood inserts and installing frosted glass (yes, plain glass, not tempered). The glass was not tight and the doors were brad nailed/glued back together. I think I will wait until next winter and take the doors and have a local cabinet shop make new ones, using the original wood inserts (which I was given when I bought the trailer).

An alternative is to put safety glass film on the glass, which will prevent the glass from shattering if it is broken. I did pack screen wire spline in the gap behind the glass and that stopped it from rattling, but clear RTV pumped in behind the glass would be better.

In the end, I will get new doors, there is no chance of again disassembling these without destroying them.

So for the OP, my best suggestion is to use the glass safety film, such as this, https://www.tapplastics.com/product/window_films/window_tint_films/safety_window_film/313

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDโ€™s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've never had an issue with the glass in our pantry door - or any of the other cabinets, for that matter. The shelves have a lip at the edge to keep things from sliding as far as the door.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are worried add some "Refrigerator bars" or some such to protect.
Glass comes in several "Flavors" some (Tempered) are hard to break and some (which I can't recall the spelling of) Honeycomb when it shatters and you can safely walk barefoot over the pieces... though I do not suggest you do it.

And then there is Plexaglass (what I'd use) Really plastic.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had mirrored glass fronts on some upper cabinets on the side of our old 2003 Prowler TT and I added a shelf in the middle to make more storage space and that's where we stored our canned goods and such.. We put the cans in baskets and then put some of those spring loaded bars between the opening and never had those mirror fronts break out in over 16 years of use.. Went over some rough roads too.

We also put down that rubber mat stuff on the shelves and that helped a lot with movement of the stuff too.

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.