cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Golf cart tow

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
own a 5th wheel, thinking of getting a toyhauler but floorplans aren't what I want. still researching.

BUT, I have seen many either tow or weld/bolt a trailer to haul a golf cart behind their 5vers. I am NC and thought this was illegal to tow a golf cart trailer behind. (I obviously have to check into this)

anyone tow a trailer or welded a trailer to the frame to carry a golf cart?

just wondering about this mess. hubby wants a golf cart now and we are thinking of ways to handle this. thanks
12 REPLIES 12

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
own a 5th wheel, thinking of getting a toyhauler but floorplans aren't what I want. still researching.

BUT, I have seen many either tow or weld/bolt a trailer to haul a golf cart behind their 5vers. I am NC and thought this was illegal to tow a golf cart trailer behind. (I obviously have to check into this)

anyone tow a trailer or welded a trailer to the frame to carry a golf cart?

we also live in NC, have a 5er, have a trailer on which we pull a golf cart, also have a swivel wheel trailer for that purpose .... all that being said, it is illegal to do so in NC .... we have done so for several years and were finally stopped on I77 north of Winston-Salem in May of 2012 .... NC will not buy the swivel wheel argument that because it doesn't pivot, it isn't a trailer .... if it has wheels, it is a trailer .... an additional law states that the total length from the front of the tow vehicle to the rear of the trailer cannot be more than 60' .... ours is 64' (which is legal in most surrounding states) and that point was also pointed out by the patrolman who stopped us .... in short, the only way in NC is a toy hauler or a carrier platform on the back of the camper .... most campers don't have a strong enough frame to consider such a mod

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a big fan of swivel wheel trailers.

Make sure the fiver rear hitch is VERY robust.

Toy haulers are much better options.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

clutch1
Explorer
Explorer
Roy B, that is a swivel wheel trailer. They are a lot less money than the Idaho Tote, and a lot simpler in construction.
2017 Silverado 1500 5.3 well equiped with max tow package. 2011 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a good bit of triple towing going on in nc and sc. Lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
thank you for the correction 😉
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks royb. that is the kind of setup I see a few times in my travels.

I will check state rules on this. I doubt we would do it. I think the toyhauler will be in our future. appreciate the responses!!!

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
Some states allow triple towing (Your TV + Trailer + Trailer).
Others do not.

Some accomplish having the golf cart by having a toyhauler, others by having a bumper pull and hauling the golf cart in the bed of the truck and unloading after disconnecting the TT. I have not seen a 5th wheel with a rack on the back for a golf cart, only class "A" motorcoaches.

It will take a very strong frame and frame mounted system to accomplish what you are looking for. I think it is the most worrisome solution as you likely are going to have to beef up a frame that is/was not designed to handle the stresses of hanging an additional 1000-1500 lbs. off the back of the 5th wheel.

Your quote regarding "triple towing" is in error. Triple towing is TV+trailer+trailer+trailer. What you describe is double towing, one does not consider the TV to be "towed".

Jim

I think either of the other two options (Toyhauler or TT with GC in the bed of the truck) is a safer and better solution.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Triple towing is not legal in any of the east coast states along the ocean (don't know about the Idaho totes)........ You do see it some ....... Like anything else some get caught some don't.........I do know in Virginia the trooper will make you disconnect the second trailer & leave it behind.....
I could drive with no or expired tags for months & not get caught or get caught the day they ran out.......... Just a matter if you want to follow the law or not and take the chance.......

There is a web site with the different laws for towing in each state.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is from google search... I think this is the IDAHO TOTE.. Some have swival wheels. There is no hitch with this unit It attaches to the rear of the trailer.

Some State laws state that if this platform is less than three feet or some number like that it is not considered a trailer.

Certainly would check with local DMV to see what the law is for your trailer.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
you can't forget the platform that is hinged with dollie wheels under it so you can backup.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks

around me I have seen a few 5ths with the platform welded to the frame and the golf cart drove into it from the side ramp. I tell hubby, see that!, and he says, ugh, not good. but others are doing it 🙂

probably expensive also in the end.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some states allow triple towing (Your TV + Trailer + Trailer).
Others do not.

Some accomplish having the golf cart by having a toyhauler, others by having a bumper pull and hauling the golf cart in the bed of the truck and unloading after disconnecting the TT. I have not seen a 5th wheel with a rack on the back for a golf cart, only class "A" motorcoaches.

It will take a very strong frame and frame mounted system to accomplish what you are looking for. I think it is the most worrisome solution as you likely are going to have to beef up a frame that is/was not designed to handle the stresses of hanging an additional 1000-1500 lbs. off the back of the 5th wheel.

I think either of the other two options (Toyhauler or TT with GC in the bed of the truck) is a safer and better solution.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.