cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hairline Cracks in Graphics

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
The graphics on my 8 year old 5th have held up very well, maybe because it gets waxed every 6 months. However, now I am beginning to see hairline cracks in the darker graphics (decals) (no cracks in the white decals) on the side that faces the Palm Springs, CA sun all winter long.

Wanting to prevent further cracking, I'm thinking of waxing the graphics more often, but I'm also open to hearing what others have done in response to this problem.

Thanks
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
16 REPLIES 16

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
CarnationSailor wrote:

I think I am going to choose a wax with good UV protection and see if my detailer will use it (properly).

Let us know what wax you find that actually has good UV protection that will last long enough to be of any value.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm not at a point where a major restoration of the graphics (sand, repaint, or replace etc.) is called for.

The use of a restorer which has to be done in the shade is practical when it's a DIY job, but not when using a mobile detailer who probably wouldn't want to do 1/2 the job and then come back when the other half is in the shade. Plus the detailer most likely wouldn't be familiar with using the restorer.

I think I am going to choose a wax with good UV protection and see if my detailer will use it (properly).

Thanks again for all the responses.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
CarnationSailor wrote:
craig7h wrote:
I have stopped using wax on the graphics on my 07 MH. I found the wax was doing more harm than good.

I found this product while asking the same type of question you are.

https://mckees37.com/collections/maxs-rv-care

I use the graphic restorer at least once a year try for twice. So far its as kept the graphic looking good.

Good Luck

Do you use the Max's Restorer on the graphics and regular wax on the gel coat that is not covered with a graphic?

I use a mobile detailing service to wash and wax my 5th. They have been using wax on everything for 8 years and my graphics are not faded at all. Not sure if I could get a mobile detailer to use wax on the gel coat and restorer on the graphics. I'm sure it would take longer and cost more.

Simple answer Yes. The restorer has to be put on in the shade, it has something to do with the product. I tried once to do in the sun and could feel the build up of heat on my finger. A little goes a long way, first rub it in then wipe off excess. I know there are alot of waxes out there and everybody has their favorite. I have been using NuFinish for years and am happy.

Good Luck which ever way you go
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
A few ways the "fix" your graphics.

Not too bad.

I actually had to fast forward thru that c rap to see the outcomeโ€ฆ..lol.
But I just got 300% stupider after watching just a bit of it.
I hope you posted this sarcastically!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
A few ways the "fix" your graphics.

Not too bad.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
craig7h wrote:
I have stopped using wax on the graphics on my 07 MH. I found the wax was doing more harm than good.

I use the graphic restorer at least once a year try for twice. So far its as kept the graphic looking good.

Good Luck

Do you use the Max's Restorer on the graphics and regular wax on the gel coat that is not covered with a graphic?

I use a mobile detailing service to wash and wax my 5th. They have been using wax on everything for 8 years and my graphics are not faded at all. Not sure if I could get a mobile detailer to use wax on the gel coat and restorer on the graphics. I'm sure it would take longer and cost more.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad

Good Luck
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Rv is approaching 20 years old and the original graphics are in great shape. So is the additional graphic I added 12 years ago. My RV lives outdoors and has spent a lot of time in hot and sunny conditions in the SW deserts.

UV light is the main killer of RV graphics.

With only a little google research you can quickly confirm: 1. Carnuba and other typical RV/auto waxes contain zero or minimal amounts of UV protectants. In addition these coatings typically don't last very long 2. 303 contains UV protectants but 303 only lasts a few weeks before it needs to be reapplied in order to maintain UV protection.

Acrylics are natural UV blockers. Acrylic glazing is often used for artwork to prevent fading. So one solution to the fairly rapid fading, cracking and deterioration of graphic decals is to use an acrylic wax.

I have been using Zep acrylic floor wax on my RV for many years. I initially applied 4 thin coats. Every year or two I apply another thin coat. I have never had any issues with yellowing, cracking or deterioration of the finish. The Zep finish also protects against dirt, bugs, staining. A quick rinse is all that is needed to keep my RV looking new.

If you do consider Zep, I will warn you up front that careful prep is needed before applying the first coat. Any old waxes and oxidation need to be removed. I used wax stripper, and lots of scrubbing with a 3M kitchen pad and bar keepers friend.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned earlier, keeping the graphics out of the sun is the only thing that will slow down the process. Nothing will stop it.

Use Aerospace 303 on them... Better then wax for decals

Aerospace 303 Clicky
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
May consider covering them with a vinyl wrap, same or different color.
Would be fairly easy to outline the existing graphics with knifeless tape slap some vinyl over it and cut them out the same shape. Wouldnโ€™t fix the cracks but would hide them if they havenโ€™t opened up and started peeling yet.
Thatโ€™s what I was gonna do on our old TC but a for sale sign ended up being cheaper and much quicker!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Most graphics are only good for about 7 years. I took off all my graphics and added new ones on the front and back. They said in the paper work they are good for up to 6-7 years and not to use wax. Sure enough by 7 years they were gone again.Trailer looks blah but not spending tons of cash for new graphics for a 19 year old trailer.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
Is there any way to "touch up" these cracks?

Not really. These are "hairline" - extremely fine cracks that are not visible if you get 5 feet away from them. Any attempt to touch up them would for sure look much worse. I'm not looking to fix the ones that are there. I just want to prevent them from getting worse and from more forming.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If they are simple patterns, consider using them as a pattern, remove and paint them back.

A good quality fiberglass paint will hold up well and can be touched up.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV