cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy Campers no longer available in CA?

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Happy Campers holding tank treatment for several years now, and am very happy (no pun intended) with it. It breaks down solid waste and controls odor very well, at a reasonable cost. However, when I went online to purchase it recently, it was no longer available to ship to CA?????? What gives? Anyone know specifically why? Yes, I know that CA is over the top with their regulations, etc (lived here my entire life), but what makes this particular product no longer acceptable to the A-Hats running this state, when it used to be OK?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II
38 REPLIES 38

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
TechWriter wrote:
larry cad wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:
Both black and grey tanks SMELL BAD by default if no other action is taken.

Then use bleach.

Doesn't bleach kill off the bacteria and that is bad?

Since your RV's black tank is a holding tank, not a septic field, it doesn't matter.

It matters when you dump your tanks into a septic system.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
TCollins wrote:
Don't know if it is good as the type you are looking for but there is an "organic" Happy Camper tank treatment for sale on Ebay. I did not see any shipping restrictions
Sadly, that is in fact the only Happy Campers treatment there is. Some of the vendors on eBay show the shipping restriction right at the top, some don't, although if you scroll down further, even most of those listings show "Not for sale or shipping to CA". I might try one that doesn't, but I assume that it will kick it back as not being able to ship to my address.

I'll just ship it to my son out of state and have him send it to me.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

Zieman Jetski Trailer

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Loud mouths that know it all fit pretty good into your categories also. I think after roughly 20 years on this RV forum and the limited number of posts I've had, I think I'll just ignore your "****" if you will! Sorry if I went off a tangent on your on post. Geeus!!! But my post only offered info for those reading the forum and don't understand air pressure and it's effect on sewer gas. Sorry almighty one that you knew all this already!
Thank you for proving my point...again...several of them, actually. :S

Zieman Jetski Trailer

TCollins
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if it is good as the type you are looking for but there is an "organic" Happy Camper tank treatment for sale on Ebay. I did not see any shipping restrictions

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I also use HC and been "happy" with it. Don't know why, for sure, CA band this product but have heard on several other items. That CA has laws that the companies have to pay to have their product tested for certain types of carcinogens and it is very expensive. If they don't sell a lot of products in the state or it is a small company it is not cost effective to pay for the testing so they just don't sell in CA. As I recall their is nothing in the laws that says you can't buy these products in a different state and cary it home but the company just can sell it in CA.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Loud mouths that know it all fit pretty good into your categories also. I think after roughly 20 years on this RV forum and the limited number of posts I've had, I think I'll just ignore your "****" if you will! Sorry if I went off a tangent on your on post. Geeus!!! But my post only offered info for those reading the forum and don't understand air pressure and it's effect on sewer gas. Sorry almighty one that you knew all this already!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
If {I say dumb stuff that the mod deletes time and time again}...
Or maybe it’s time for folks with rude comments to stay in motels. (Apologies to the moderator).

Dave

MOD'S EDIT: I fixed the quote for you :W

Regards,
Other Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Yay for StarkNaked and I for giving the correct answer; SB-317. without the extra bull*** 😉

Sorry just had to get myself in print again..........:B:B
😉

Zieman Jetski Trailer

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yay for StarkNaked and I for giving the correct answer; SB-317. without the extra bull*** 😉

Sorry just had to get myself in print again..........:B:B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Many of these comments prove, once again, how people can ignore a question but post anyway in order to see their words in print.

If anyone knows the particular chemical in Happy Campers that CA has recently added to their "banned" list, I'd appreciate your input. If any of you want to continue to chastise those of us who use it (or other means), please don't bother.

Zieman Jetski Trailer

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Well if you really can't handle a "whiff when dumping" then I guess you do need to add something to mask it. I guess after growing up camping using pit toilets, on boats using cassette toilets, and then finally graduating to RV's and a boat with with closed tanks, catching a "whiff" reminds me how far I've come :B.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:

If you are treating every single time you dump, you have a sewer gas leakage issue or you need to adjust the air pressures so your aren't drawing odors out of the tank.
Acampingwewillgo wrote:

I'll add....this has been my experience, if you are anyone else wants to treat their waste with chemicals, perfumes,soaps or potions....have at it!!????????
Which was my point exactly. You do you, I'll do me. And I will repeat that if you claim to have NEVER gotten a whiff when dumping, then you are not being honest. Period. How do you disconnect while maintaining that "airtight" seal?

YOU are the one who ignored my original question, claimed I had a leakage issue, and attempted to turn it into a narrative on HOW I should be dumping my waste.:S Exactly what did that have to do with my question? Nothing.

Zieman Jetski Trailer

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:
I refuse to get into an argument regarding choice of chemicals, GEO method, or just water. I NEVER said that I have any smells coming from my tanks; there is nothing wrong with my tanks/vents/lines/traps, etc., however, there IS the occasional "whiff" while dumping; anyone who claims otherwise is simply not being honest. And to you wonderful people who's s--t doesn't stink, both black and grey, I challenge you to dump a bit into a bucket and take a good deep whiff.

Finally, I asked if anyone knew why it was no longer available in CA, NOT why your method was so much better than mine (BTW, I'm always amused that somehow people think that Dawn and Calgon are NOT chemicals:R). I've been RVing for 45 years and tried many things, I'm perfectly satisfied with the method that I use. You do you, I'll do me, thank you.

When I dump, no solids ever come through the hose (clear fittings at both ends); Happy Campers breaks it all down into liquid better than any other method I've tried, which facilitates more thorough emptying of the tanks. It also reduces any odors when dumping. I did email the company, but haven't received a response. It appears that IAMICHABOD and StarkNaked gave the correct answer; SB-317. Thanks.

I agree with you... your seemingly simple question about CA regulatory issues morphed into the good/bad/ugly about the process of storing and dumping . BTW, when I use a tank additive, it is Happy Camper.... works great.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, I'm not in the habit of putting grey/black water into a bucket just so I can see if it stinks. The idea is to get it from your rear end, into the toilet, down into the tanks, out the sewer hose and into whatever septic system there is with the least amount of stink.

Now if I had an issue with any of the above process I'd address it but it's Never been an issue unless I have an unforseen spill or a very leaky sewer hose with a sewer connection less than air tight.
I'll add....this has been my experience, if you are anyone else wants to treat their waste with chemicals, perfumes,soaps or potions....have at it!!????????
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)