cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Head Banger Cabinet--Help

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I have an open plan toyhauler, but on one side is a row of cabinets.

at that perfect head level! Omgosh hubby and I have whacked and it hurts!

What I need is a cushion along that lower edge and corner to save us and an ER trip ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Kinda like when people put a swim noodle on their slide outs to keep from killing themselves, but I need this inside, on a row of cabinets that looks SO MUCH more nicer than a neon colored swim noodle ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

something that protects ours noggins but is pleasing to the eye?
I can't seem to think of what to call this to google up solutions on the internet but I KNOW someone here has dealt with the indoor killer cabinet situation and would love any info to help fix this.

thanks for all help ๐Ÿ™‚
20 REPLIES 20

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stormy Eyes wrote:
MR MAC wrote:
My problem was hitting my head on slide out molding up over couch, simple rem. was hanging a small figure so as to hang down about six in. Some how my eye would see it and no more head banging. I use to do plumbing/heat work in basements with lots of low pipes etc., would put strips of duct tape hanging down from all the head bumps while working, got the idea for the figure (a plastic angel)

Interesting. If the op found a valance or strip of fabric that matched the decor, it could be hung below the cabinet (with staples or Velcro or whatever). One could sew pockets into the fabric to store small items if desired. As for the previous poster, the fabric might catch one's eye enough to stop banging. Or even if one did not see it, the head would touch fabric first, hopefully reminding them to pay attention before the big bang.

That's what I did with the tassle trim. It's enough to remind you that there is something there and works with the decor. I even used it around the escape hatch in the cabover bunk - the metal trim would catch my hair when I moved around. With the trim, it reminds me the hatch is there so I don't raise my head up so high and it covers the metal trim so it can't catch my hair.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
MR MAC wrote:
My problem was hitting my head on slide out molding up over couch, simple rem. was hanging a small figure so as to hang down about six in. Some how my eye would see it and no more head banging. I use to do plumbing/heat work in basements with lots of low pipes etc., would put strips of duct tape hanging down from all the head bumps while working, got the idea for the figure (a plastic angel)

Interesting. If the op found a valance or strip of fabric that matched the decor, it could be hung below the cabinet (with staples or Velcro or whatever). One could sew pockets into the fabric to store small items if desired. As for the previous poster, the fabric might catch one's eye enough to stop banging. Or even if one did not see it, the head would touch fabric first, hopefully reminding them to pay attention before the big bang.

MR_MAC
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERT L MC INTYRE

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
yup westend, that is what I am trying to avoid. the sharp edge on the head ๐Ÿ™‚
I will check weatherstripping also if the 'furniture' type edge stuff doesn't match or whatever. I know the product line now of what I am searching for so something should fit what I want in there--thanks!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
They make a variety of self-stick weatherstripping. It's available in different colors, sizes, and materials. It won't prevent a full-on concussion from violent impact but will afford some cushion from abrading scalp on a sharp edge.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL hubby shaves his head and his marks show also ๐Ÿ™‚

I was hoping for permanent, applied to edge to match mostly the coloring.
I don't want removeable cause I am the type that wouldn't put it back on after taking it off, too much work ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

haven't hit store yet but will get there in a few days and get some edging.
I will keep us alive even if those cabinets want us injured LOL

Thanks all!

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
i was thinking of those padded bolsters at the edge of bars and billiard tables
If we were prone to frequenting bars and pool halls we'd understand!;)

MrWizard
i was thinking of those padded bolsters at the edge of bars and billiard tables
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
use you favorite cloth material and cover Noodle.. then attach.

wife does this stuff all the time... and she does not need it.. I do.

she is 5'3.. me 6'3.:) and I am bald... so marks shows for years.

I thought about the noodle option but decided it would look too '90's from a design POV, IMHO. 'Course one could remove it before company came or just fly one's "I knowww what decade I like best" flag:cool:.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
use you favorite cloth material and cover Noodle.. then attach.

wife does this stuff all the time... and she does not need it.. I do.

she is 5'3.. me 6'3.:) and I am bald... so marks shows for years.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help!

funny to see the 'pool' noodle in black ๐Ÿ™‚

I got great ideas now.

Hitting store soon to make that edge safer for our old noggins ๐Ÿ™‚

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We cut out a section of foam pipe insulation and taped it to the edge. Rarely hit my head anymore.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
The "pool noodle" also comes in BLACK. It's called pipe insulation.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
At BuyBuyBaby they have a nifty foam corner with a sticky back on it. Works really well on the lower edge of my cabinets. I figure I've saved at least a few IQ points since applying them.