cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help ? Battery dead

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok battery 1 month old,, went to start and it’s dead,, used the button that uses the coach batteries and fired right up
Doesn’t the converter chg the main battery ?
Why would it be dead
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
27 REPLIES 27

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
It was 12.8 today

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
How's the truck battery today? It should still be about 12.7v
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, Your rig does not have a BIRD. There are two solenoid that takes care of the batteries.

Google "Parasitic Drains" or "Engine Battery Drains".

I turn all power off for the house and engine. You may lose preset stations on your radio that way but my batteries are still charged after 30 days of storage.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I left it sit thru the night at 38 degs out after charging
I checked it this afternoon and it’s at 13 volts
I think that some light switch being on and running the slide without starting it may have run it doen

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
luberhill wrote:
Ok I thought the slide ran off the coach batteries
So I have a 10 amp and a 2 amp charger.. which would be beyyer
Since the battery is very low use the 10 amp. I assume it is automatic and will turn off when done. If manual... continue charging until the ammeter drops to 1 amp or less. Then you can use the 2 amp as a maintainer again assuming it is an automatic.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
This is a confusing thread. You are talking about your truck battery, the one that starts the engine. Not the house battery, right? Things like CO detectors and slides will not affect your truck battery.

Anyway, like wa8yxm above, my motorhome DOES charge the truck battery when plugged into the converter. I would assume your's should too, maybe something is wrong with the BIRD relay.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I thought the slide ran off the coach batteries
So I have a 10 amp and a 2 amp charger.. which would be beyyer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a 2013 I woudl hope the converter charges all. but clearly yours does not

The device photoed above is what I recommend.

BUT. that may not be teh problem...

On the rig pictured below (a 2005) I do have a B.I.R.D. so the converter does charge all. BUT!!!!

IF the battery terminals are corroded what happened to you happens to me.. I clean 'em and all is good for another couple years.

DAMON used the WRONG material for the battery terminal. I finally fixed it in 2014 no problems since.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
luberhill wrote:
So I did run the slide in and out a few times without it running but that shouldn’t kill it right ,??

Yes, extending or retracting the slides in a Sunstar will substantially drain the chassis battery. if you read your owners manual it will detail that the engine must be running during slide operations.
2010 Suncruiser

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Your chassis battery is depleted when at rest by circuit boards powered and detectors powered. These devices draw from the chassis battery continually. You need to either install a master battery disconnect switch, remove a battery cable, or use a charger when parked. If you allow the battery to discharge for another month, your battery may be toast. I'd suggest to put a charger on it when parked, if possible.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
I don’t get it,, I have a truck that sits for months and firesnright up

your truck doesn't have a fridge with climate control and a CO/propane detector.
i bet your house has power drains.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
A clamp-on amp meter will tell you if there's a current draw when you think everything is turned off. If there's more than half an amp draw with everything shut down, it will kill the battery in about 4 days. My rig draws 30 milliamps when everything is off. I once had a rechargable flashlight plugged in and took me a while to figure out what was causing my battery to die. What did you last add to the vehicle and start working your way backwards.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
luberhill wrote:
I don’t get it,, I have a truck that sits for months and firesnright up
Welcome to RV life. It is what it is. Yes there is a drain on the battery to keep some system or systems viable.

You could fully charge the battery and remove a cable. I think the maintainer is a better solution.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is what you need to add:

http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html

My solar feeds the house batteries--and the Trik-L-Start takes care of the chassis battery.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.