cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help us choose a new diesel TV

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
After grinding up the mountains again in first gear at 35mph again I am looking to replace the 1999Suburban with a diesel pickup. I want to ask your help in deciding between the three options.

The most important thing for us is seat comfort. My wife had three level spinal fusion surgery fifteen years ago and her comfort is most important. We will get the highest option of seats. I have sat in them and it is hard to tell how they will perform with only a few minutes in the seat. The seats seem pretty hard compared to the seats in the Suburban which are more like living room furniture. So i would like advice from those of you with the highest level seats in Ram, Ford, and Chevrolet.

The second consideration is reliability. The Ford has reports about head gasket problems and the Ram has had problems with steering and vibrations. The Chevrolet has had DEF problems but that may have been solved for the 2015's. Of course, these reports are from the internet and may be exaggerated.

I want to preserve the option of a camper or a fifth wheel in the future. That means a one ton, long bed. The Ram and Ford can come with a fifth wheel, goose neck hitch option but the Chevy does not offer that. How difficult is it to add that later?

I think that any of the three will be capable of meeting our weight requirements, so which to choose?

So, what is your experience? Thanks
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y
33 REPLIES 33

slopeoft
Explorer
Explorer
What you're asking is a personal decision. I can tell you a had a LMM Duramax prior to my 2014 Ram. I chose Ram because of price and as of 2014 model year you can by dealer order get a tranny that is every bit as durable as the Allison. The Aisin tranny was only available with the 5500 chassis cab, now it's available by order with the light duty pick ups. It's a true medium duty tranny like the Allison, also I like the interior of my Laramie. But, like I said it's a personal choice. Find what YOU like, and buy it!!;)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are very good after market seating AIDS like ROJO, Memory foam, etc that can greatly enhance seating comfort.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
wgriswold wrote:
After grinding up the mountains again in first gear at 35mph again I am looking to replace the 1999Suburban with a diesel pickup.
I want to preserve the option of a camper or a fifth wheel in the future. That means a one ton, long bed. The Ram and Ford can come with a fifth wheel, goose neck hitch option but the Chevy does not offer that. How difficult is it to add that later?

I recently bought a 2014 RAM 2500 and I'm amazed at the smooth ride of the coil rear suspension. I've done some searching and the 5th wheel prep package can be added later, but it's much better if you order it with the truck.

Keep in mind that on the 2014 and newer RAM 2500 and 3500 trucks rear air suspension is a factory option!! :B So if ride comfort and 5th wheel options is an absolute must, I'd suggest you get one with both 5th wheel prep package and factory air ride. That would give you one really smooth tow vehicle.

And yes, I'm biased. I towed for 10 years with a Chevy 2500HD and I thought it was great. Then I got this RAM and I'm completely spoiled!!!!!
KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
I don't know about the newest trucks, but in general I've found Chevys to have the most comfortable seats. Then Dodge, Ford last. I love Ford, have always owned Ford, but for whatever reason they cannot make a "comfy" seat.

The seats in my 2008 F250 are supportive and fine for long drives (two trips up and down the East Coast), but I wouldn't call them nearly as comfortable as friends' Chevy 3500 trucks.

Maybe the newest trucks are better!

I had a 93 F350 that had the captains chairs in it and they were the cat's meow of factory truck seats.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about the newest trucks, but in general I've found Chevys to have the most comfortable seats. Then Dodge, Ford last. I love Ford, have always owned Ford, but for whatever reason they cannot make a "comfy" seat.

The seats in my 2008 F250 are supportive and fine for long drives (two trips up and down the East Coast), but I wouldn't call them nearly as comfortable as friends' Chevy 3500 trucks.

Maybe the newest trucks are better!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I`m still stuck on the Big Block Burb doing 35mph uphill. I think you have a fuel supply issue or something. I would figure out what's wrong with your current TV, as those year Chevy's road nice and with the big block should have enough power for your current trailer!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
After reading these threads I've compiled the results as follows.

Ford is better than GM
GM is better than Dodge
Dodge is better than Ford

Keep repeating the above cycle until you pick your truck!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
As has been said, they are all good trucks. If you go 1 ton, they are all going to ride like trucks. I love mine, but it doesn't nearly ride like the wife's Cadillac. It actually rides better towing the 5er, than it does empty. I've had two Ram 2500s, and I thought they rode real good empty, but kinda rough towing. Yep, let the wife pick out which one she likes.

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Dave Smith, Dennis Dillon and Peterson Stampede have to offer. They all are "one low price" dealers and will pick you up at the air port etc.

The RAM 2500 has coils springs in the front with a self leveling AIR Ride option in the rear. It should ride the smoothest of them all.
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2015 ram 2500 and it's been a great truck so far.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'll chime in with my two cents because I recently went through the same process.

GM: Didn't like the IFS, really didn't like that the DEF tank hangs way down in a vulnerable spot and I didn't love the way it felt more like a half ton than the Ford or Ram (that last one is subjective, obviously). I also wasn't very excited about the CP4 injection pump because it's pretty prone to very expensive failures.

Ford: Didn't like the track record with diesels and didn't like the way the structure of the truck felt (it's a very old chassis design and is much less stiff than the GM or Ram). The Powerstroke also uses the same CP4 injection pump as the Duramax. Other than those issues, I really liked the Ford and gave it some serious thought.

Ram: I was leery of buying an FCA product in terms of reliability, but I felt far more comfortable with the Cummins than I did with the Powerstroke or Duramax in terms of longevity and reliability. Subjectively I liked the ride and handling the best, and I really liked the coil suspension setup on both ends with solid axles. The Cummins uses a more reliable CP3 injection pump. Overall I really liked the Ram the best hands down, even though I expected to drive away with a Super Duty when I went into the buying process. I've only put about 5000 miles on the truck but so far it hasn't had any issues and I love it - great tow vehicle, family hauler and daily driver.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
Take long test drives in both. Our local GMC and RAM dealers let us take their trucks on a 2 hour drive. The Ford dealer said we could only drive on their "designated" route. We immediately eliminated the Ford. After driving the other two each over 100 miles, we picked the one that felt better to us.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
You may want to check out the difference in the "locking rear ends". My RAM 2 WD has been stuck a number of times. I never had a problem with my older Chevy 2 WD. There are lots of information and YouTube if your Google RAM vs Chevy.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look at a newer RAM 2500 or 3500. The 2500 RAM now has coil suspension which might ease the jarring ride of a heavy duty pickup. I haven't ridden in one but those that have say they're nice. The other option is to get air suspension option for either the 2500 or 3500. Again, it helps smooth out the harsh ride without sacrificing payload. As for Ford or Chevy, I haven't ridden in either newer versions but they're both leaf spring setup so the ride will probably be more harsh.
If I were you, I'd grab some coffee and book a bunch of test drives see what will work for you.
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer