cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home burglarized while I was camping

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I was burglarized while off camping for a week. While enjoying the beautiful beaches of the Florida panhandle I was hit. The Tv's and stuff like that are easy enough to replace but the heirloom jewelry and antique .38 special police service revolver of my grandfather were priceless to me. There was someone staying at my house during the time but had went out on an errand for less than an hour. I had no photos of the jewelry so little chance any will be recovered but the serial number of the gun is in the hands of the police. Hopefully it will turn up. Just a reminder to all to document your belongings if they're irreplaceable. The police were thorough in collecting evidence so they may be identified at some point. Loss will be close to $9k.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)
64 REPLIES 64

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
Here is my security camara footage of 2 idiots trying to break into my house while my wife was home and watching it all on the monitor... She called 911 as soon as she saw the pair come back around the corner of the house and the cops came soon enough to scare them off..

vid cam attempted breakin

These cams have caught a lot of weird instances, since we monitor them when we are in the family room and watching TV (the monitor is just a 21" comp screen on the floor next to the TV..

Anyway, draw your own conclusions on the use of security cams..

It doesn't matter what kind of neighborhood you live in... These scum bags are out there and if I ever catch them myself... Well, it'll probably be a "news at 11" breaking news story... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mitch

Wow...scary. Going to keep my back door locked when home alone. Glad your wife is ok and they did not get in.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
to bad I cant set a motion sensor to turn on water
You certainly can do this but it might catch you or your pets in a shower. A motion sensor is just a switch that is closed when it senses motion.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
well finally had to get home to CA. Bandon 64 degrees Ca. 104 degrees
we saw the front window my neighbors boarded up for us. went to back and saw where they had taken off window and saw the rock they were ready to use. we wondered why they did not finish the job when we looked at the alarm time. my wife puts all her plants on deck and we have one heck of a rain forest of water that come on. 8:00 alarm goes off, and that is when the rain forest comes on for 15 min. they definitely were getting soaked until they left.
to bad I cant set a motion sensor to turn on water
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been thinking about this. Someone mentioned checking at the local pawn shops.

In my area local pawn shop owners and the police work together. To sell or pawn something at a pawn shop you have to provide photo ID. They then write down, or in some places, scan the ID info. Once a week the local pawn shop owners give the serial numbers from everything that came into the store to the police.

(You do have the serial number and a picture of all your stuff right !! ?? If not you should. Get a picture of the serial numbers too.)

So around here if the stolen stuff shows up a a pawn shop it would be found by the police and the culprit found out.

Maybe some of this theft problem; that so many of you seem to have; is not just because of the thieves but, also part of a bigger problem with both the pawn shop owners and even the local police that have not done a good job of community policing.

If you want these sorts of things to stop maybe we all need to be more proactive and everyone needs to work together to make things better for all.

Sorry if I didn't explain that very well. But, as I said the police and local store owners all work together in may area.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
A safe may be in my future along with video survellience. At home party is an occupant and immediate family so no chance of involvement. The smashed French doors would also rule that out.
I had a amplifier stole out of my Blazer in my driveway while I was home. My neighbors security camera shows it happening at 1:17 in the morning. I installed a security camera system of my own but it's a after the fact and depends on how clear it is if you can identify the suspect.

I never post when I'm going on vacation on the forum for that very reason.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
MitchF150 wrote:
Here is my security camara footage of 2 idiots trying to break into my house while my wife was home and watching it all on the monitor... She called 911 as soon as she saw the pair come back around the corner of the house and the cops came soon enough to scare them off..

These cams have caught a lot of weird instances, since we monitor them when we are in the family room and watching TV (the monitor is just a 21" comp screen on the floor next to the TV..

It doesn't matter what kind of neighborhood you live in... These scum bags are out there and if I ever catch them myself... Well, it'll probably be a "news at 11" breaking news story... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mitch

Interesting video. For a lot of you security cameras are not a bad idea.

I live in the country so I don't have a "neighborhood" at all. I don't even lock my doors. All locks keep out are your friends. In my area anyway. Plus, we are so sparsely populated you can always figure out who did what.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
Crowe wrote:
We have a monitored security system but not security cameras. We do, however, have game cams in the yard. They are inconspicuous and take awesome pictures.

Enough blaming the victim. Constructive advice and support would be helpful.

Please help. I read all 6 pages and dont see where any of us blamed fly-gypsy. I see a lot of various ideas and shared experiences. Which posts are blaming him, I may have missed them? Thank you.
I saw a bunch of people blaming his relatives even after he specifically ruled that out. But internet forum posters know better - huh?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

murphysranch
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry for what happened. We lived in San Jose for decades and had a security system that was monitored. Now just a few years ago, the SJPD no longer respond to alarms even ones monitored. They simply don't have the man/woman power to do so.
Empty nesters
2 cats
2 cattle dogs too!

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
We have a monitored security system but not security cameras. We do, however, have game cams in the yard. They are inconspicuous and take awesome pictures.

Please help. I read all 6 pages and dont see where any of us blamed fly-gypsy. I see a lot of various ideas and shared experiences. Which posts are blaming him, I may have missed them? Thank you.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
I have security cameras and a monitored alarm system. This should convince the "bad Guys" to rob someone without these things. I also have my camera system email me photos of who is at my home. These cannot be taken when they steal my video recorder.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't read all 6 pages of this thread. I feel that they were watching your house after you left. When the house setter went out they moved in quickly.

I do agree that somehow they got wind that you were out of town but, they could have gotten that information from a verity of sources.

Heck, did you have your tow vehicle or RV tuned up ? Did you mention anything to anyone at work? Those people were probably not involved but, they could have said something over dinner with the kids who mentioned it to some other kids and that could have gotten the whole thing started.

There are lots of ways the info could have gotten out that you were gone. Then the buglers just waited for the right moment.

Sorry for your loss.

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Changed my mind about commenting again. I'll just go with one word - Naive.

You are right about criminals wearing hoodies and sunglasses. They also, however, tend to be, well.... stupid.

If you sit the suspect down and tell him "we have you on video" and show it to him, even if he is wearing a hoodie and sunglasses and a jury couldn't say if it was him or Elvis or the ghost of Christmas past, you have a better than 50% chance of him saying "you got me", "yes", "that's me", or something else where the suspect admits that it is him. Sometimes, they don't even need to see the video.

If they were smart, they'd have a good paying job and realize that it's not worth going to jail over something like that. But they aren't. They forget the whole "You have the right to remain silent" and don't internalize that "everything you say can and will be used against you.". Everything in interview rooms is recorded. A confession like that is all it takes.

Then you tell him that if he writes out what he did and what he took, the Judge will consider that at sentencing. They believe that will help them too. The Judge will consider it, but it won't help them.

Verbal and written confession. Done. It happens more often than not - many times without them even needing or wanting to see the video.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube under "Don't talk to the police". Watch them. Both a lawyer and a police officer explain all of this.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)