cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hook up those safety chains

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Authorities say a set of camp trailer safety chains and quick, careful work by emergency crews saved...
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
23 REPLIES 23

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wnjj, I stand corrected. Itโ€™s still a long ways from the beginning of the curve to the bridge. People need to learn where the manual brake control is and be able to find it without looking. Applying just it would have stopped the sway and the accident.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 69 and don't consider 67 and 64 elderly!

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ivylog wrote:
Once the trailer started to sway, this accident could have been avoided IF the driver had manually put on just the trailer brakes. This increases the tongue weight and makes it harder for the trailer to sway while slowing down.

A first responder account with more information:
โ€œ This F350 single rear wheel truck was equipped with a Reese WDH with a sway bar, but he also had a rack on the back with a large generator, spare tire, firewood, and other camping gear on a Curt receiver hitch cargo rack.

The skid marks told the story, with evidence of multiple sway action as he entered a curve on the interstate, which in Idaho has a speed limit of 80 mph. The trailer overtook the truck, causing it to Jack knife, the trailer contacted the right Jersey barrier, and pushed the truck over the left Jersey barrier and over the side of the bridge. The trailer ball was pulled out of the hitch and the truck was dangling dangerously by only one remaining safety chain.โ€

Went from 6 attachments to 1. Looks like the slight curve that he entered โ€œcausingโ€ this accident is over a 1/2 mile away. Thatโ€™s a long way to the bridge fighting a sway. I agree the weight of the stuff on the back lessen the tongue weight but why use a WDH if you had very little tongue weight with a F350? In my first picture you can see the small friction sway ball is bent.

Based upon the picture taken showing the pedestrian bridge, they were traveling eastbound in the lower/leftmost set of lanes. The curve pictured is after the bridge, however there is one about 500 feet before the eastbound bridge.

I was wondering about a WDH. You can clearly see the ball mount but could both of those bars have really torn out from the hitch head like that? I would think the chain ends would rip loose and the solid ends would have stayed in the head since they have to index and slide out. Maybe the first responder assumed WDH? I suppose anything is possible with that kind of violent decoupling.

The sway bar mount could have been bent by the main coupler when the trailer was jackknifed hard enough to damage the tailgate and is likely when the main hitch pried off the ball.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once the trailer started to sway, this accident could have been avoided IF the driver had manually put on just the trailer brakes. This increases the tongue weight and makes it harder for the trailer to sway while slowing down.

A first responder account with more information:
โ€œ This F350 single rear wheel truck was equipped with a Reese WDH with a sway bar, but he also had a rack on the back with a large generator, spare tire, firewood, and other camping gear on a Curt receiver hitch cargo rack.

The skid marks told the story, with evidence of multiple sway action as he entered a curve on the interstate, which in Idaho has a speed limit of 80 mph. The trailer overtook the truck, causing it to Jack knife, the trailer contacted the right Jersey barrier, and pushed the truck over the left Jersey barrier and over the side of the bridge. The trailer ball was pulled out of the hitch and the truck was dangling dangerously by only one remaining safety chain.โ€

Went from 6 attachments to 1. Looks like the slight curve that he entered โ€œcausingโ€ this accident is over a 1/2 mile away. Thatโ€™s a long way to the bridge fighting a sway. I agree the weight of the stuff on the back lessen the tongue weight but why use a WDH if you had very little tongue weight with a F350? In my first picture you can see the small friction sway ball is bent.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kudos to the fast thinking truck drive that ran the gold colored chain from his bumper to the PU truckโ€™s hitch.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
I would have never thought that was possable. Wow, they got lucky.

The Lord decided it wasn't their day

Yes!
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

dedmiston
That's probably the most excitement they've seen there since Evel Knievel tried to jump the gorge.

Those rescue guys from Jerome really delivered. It took miracle after miracle to keep them out of that gorge. I hope those guys in Jerome never have to pay for a drink again.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
God gave them another chance for another day. I hope that they realize how lucky they are.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ivylog wrote:
OMG this statement is correct โ€œ A safety chain connected to their 30ft camper was the only thing keeping them from falling.โ€ The 2 silver chains on the right are the trailerโ€™s and only the upper one is still connected under the gold chains from the wrecker.

Good thing it's only a F305. A F350 may have been a bit heavy for that one chain...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Witness says they started to swerve...
From the pictures it looks like they had a luggage rack on the back of the trailer making it lighter on the front end. It could have been the tail wagging the dog scenario.

I'm glad they are safe. And I agree I think this was a tongue weight issue. Goes to show a 3/4-1ton truck does not fix a poor setup!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Got to love the British tabloids. Within an hour after an event they have posted an article, usually somewhat disjointed and rambling, with a zillion pictures.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that's staring at eternity literally.

Though accidents and detachments maybe rare, I was always queasy on that single-point of contact between the RV and may tow vehicle with all those weight resting on that ball -- until I installed a weight distribution and now I have 3 connections (5 technically with the chains) with that huge sturdy round bars of the WD.

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
Scariest pictures I have ever seen. We have always used safety chains and I guess I thought everyone always did. If they don't these pictures will probably change that. This couple would never have survived this accident.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Are truck and trailer for sale now?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad