cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you lock/secure your generator?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My Yamaha EF2800i was easy to secure since it was an open frame design. Aside from the handles, my new Champion 3400 model doesn't show any obvious places to secure a locking device to it. Any brilliant ideas out there?
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
59 REPLIES 59

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
What is wrong with just insuring the generator for replacement value, taking a photo of the generator, making a database entry with all that info, and then using a decent lock?

If you want lock recommendations, check out Bosnianbill and LocksmithingLawyer on YouTube. I like having a security chain, as well as a cable. The chain is good at fending off manual saws and bolt cutters, while the cable will slow down an angle grinder (although it may provide 5-10 seconds difference.)

Best thing is out of sight, out of mind. A truck cap that has tinted side windows that open for ventilation might be the best thing.

I understand defending the property, but the legal hassle of explaining to a DA, the thief's family, his homeys, and the lawyer that was hired, all about why the thief's life was worth less than a generator, is just not worth it. Far cheaper to make an insurance claim and buy a new one in 2-3 weeks.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
cable lock and a Glock, and scattering a few empty shell casings near it also helps.

Problem with that is, your shell casings are so small, they get lost in the grass...lol

I use a cable lock and lock it through the rim on my pickup truck. Besides, I reload so no scattered shell casings in my campsite.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Look underneath and see if there are any bolts that can be removed. If so bolt a 1/8 inch piece of steel that is long enough to park a tire on.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
I built a rack for mine and has worked pretty well. Here is the thread. Generator rack
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like some folks have an unhealthy attachment to their material possessions, or are camping in all the wrong places.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
With all the digital game cameras on the market you could aim one at the generator. It might not prevent the theft but would help identify the perpetrators.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I had a hardened steel cable. They came equipped with something to cut it. It was gone in seconds.

Just shows to go ya.....if "somebody" wants to steal something bad enough - they *may* be able to accomplish same - in spite of your best efforts.

What's a mother to do..:?

On edit:
There *is* a reader out there *somewhere* in forum land, that will find (and post) an article about a thief shot/wounded/killed - while in the process of stealing a generator in xxxxxx campground.

Readers, start your (search) engines!!

..:C

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
OH48Lt wrote:
Less than 10 seconds with a battery powered Sawz-All through the handle. 2 cuts, the generator is gone.

Using a gun to protect a generator? Really? I hope ya'll are just kidding about that. Maybe butt-stroke him with the shotgun. Shoot him in that situation, and your attorney will want at least $10K up front to start to defend you in the civil case the perps relatives file against you. Then it will start to get expensive.

Yup, there's no point using deadly force to protect inexpensive property. Even if the generator cost thousands of dollars, replacing it or having insurance replace it is a lot cheaper than defending yourself from a civil action. Especially if you only wound whomever you shot instead of killing them. Stand your ground states only protect you from criminal prosecution, not civil.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
OH48Lt wrote:
Less than 10 seconds with a battery powered Sawz-All through the handle. 2 cuts, the generator is gone.

Using a gun to protect a generator? Really? I hope ya'll are just kidding about that. Maybe butt-stroke him with the shotgun. Shoot him in that situation, and your attorney will want at least $10K up front to start to defend you in the civil case the perps relatives file against you. Then it will start to get expensive.

I bet you'd think different if it was your Harley!! Lol! Stealing is stealing no matter what they are trying to get!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Built in Onan so it hasn't been a issue, yet.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Python Cable Lock pulled tight thru the handle and around the Honda 2k and another cable lock thru the Python to secure it to the bumper.

Of course this is only as secure as the cable itself. It's locked in the truck bed under the tonneau cover when not in use. Hopefully out of sight is sufficient.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
I think I locked my two gens up once or twice. If we head out somewhere for the whole day then ill store them in the trailer or tuck them away.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have noted, if a thief wants it bad enough, s/he will likely get it.

A potential solution could be to get 2 of the smaller generators and use them in tandem when needed, use one when only one will work for whatever need you have. Smaller generators easier to move...put in the back of a truck, inside the Van or SUV, or inside a storage space in a trailer/motor home...when properly cooled.

This of course won't solve the problem for those of you that have a bigger generator, but could be an alternative thought for those considering a generator purchase. Some interesting solutions have already been submitted!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I had a hardened steel cable. They came equipped with something to cut it. It was gone in seconds.

Sadly true. If they are professionals, there is not much you can do. 30-60 seconds with a battery powered angle grinder and even a rank amateur will have your stuff.

Steel cable is more difficult to cut than chain with bolt cutters. Also, you would be surprised at how poorly made "good" padlocks are. The best ones are made by ABUS (a German company)