cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you share camping expenses?

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I invited my sister to go on a 2-3 week camping trip with us. We have been to many of the places she and I planned to visit but I thought it would help her readjust to being back home in the PNW. Well, I was distracted about water issues and running a small business so shined on her proposals. Besides, she yells at me and I take the path of least resistance.

Somehow, I agreed to have us pay for a site and she would pay the extra car fee. Yeah, I know, stupid. Her reasoning was that we have a full-sized truck and a pop up truck camper and she has a small SUV plus tent. Essentially, we have a similar footprint. I should have nipped that proposal right away but, I was distracted.

Toward the end of the trip, I tallied up the costs and whoa, there, we were paying 3 times as much. When I mentioned this to her, she blew up and threw money at me. She has been cold and distant since.

My take is that you pay for the site, and it is not based on the size of your RV. If a class A or a 5er or trailer can occupy a standard site (no hookups), they pay the same as anyone else. I have never really thought about the fair or unfair aspects. We are all camping no matter the size or type of RV.

Needless to say, there will be no more camping trips with her. I have learned to say no, now, more often than I used to.

What do you all do when faced with this situation?
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog
65 REPLIES 65

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, also you have too many excuses.

I have a business to run.

I got distracted.

She's only my half sister.

She's verbally abusive.

We're not that close.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, First off I don't take family or friends camping. Actually we are travelers, not campers. Second, the rules are: if you invite someone then you pay. Now you can let them know when and where you are going and if they want go to the same place on their own, then it's all on them for the cost of their space Etc. Sounds to me like you are the cause of her being verbal. :h
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Typically we book a sight for each camping unit. My buddies tent would have easily fit next to our travel trailer, but we each booked one. Then you each pay for the site you are in. I do all the booking and ask for an transfer of the amount right after I book. I typically like water and sewer and power, and I always give the tent guys an option to book across the road In a no service loop to save money on things they wonโ€™t use anyway. 99% of the time they say they would rather pay the extra $19 a night and be together.

I do disagree with the above person that said make up with her, implying that because she is family it is a necessity. Just because you share the same parents doesnโ€™t entitle you to be verbally abused by someone.

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We did pay. We are half-sisters and not that close. She is too verbally abusive. We did show her an awesome time: Oregon Coast, Highway 138 waterfalls, John Day area, Newberry, Smith Rock,etc. I wasnโ€™t asking about the past. That is done. I am asking what people do when camping with others when sharing a site if there is adequate space. Lesson learned for sure.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If agreed to pay, I pay and donโ€™t care one wit if it comes close to even.
I think you kinda broke the agreement.

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
Make up with her you know how important she is to your life. I am sure you have had other fights with her and gotten over it
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down