cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you share camping expenses?

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I invited my sister to go on a 2-3 week camping trip with us. We have been to many of the places she and I planned to visit but I thought it would help her readjust to being back home in the PNW. Well, I was distracted about water issues and running a small business so shined on her proposals. Besides, she yells at me and I take the path of least resistance.

Somehow, I agreed to have us pay for a site and she would pay the extra car fee. Yeah, I know, stupid. Her reasoning was that we have a full-sized truck and a pop up truck camper and she has a small SUV plus tent. Essentially, we have a similar footprint. I should have nipped that proposal right away but, I was distracted.

Toward the end of the trip, I tallied up the costs and whoa, there, we were paying 3 times as much. When I mentioned this to her, she blew up and threw money at me. She has been cold and distant since.

My take is that you pay for the site, and it is not based on the size of your RV. If a class A or a 5er or trailer can occupy a standard site (no hookups), they pay the same as anyone else. I have never really thought about the fair or unfair aspects. We are all camping no matter the size or type of RV.

Needless to say, there will be no more camping trips with her. I have learned to say no, now, more often than I used to.

What do you all do when faced with this situation?
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog
65 REPLIES 65

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
you need Dr. Phil, not RV.net.

+1 on this. You invited her.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a no win situation with sis. Next time , if there is one, you pay your way, she pays hers.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
On my last shared trip I paid for the gas and campsite because I would have that cost anyway. My guest paid for and cook all the food. Very happy even if my cost was much more.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Money isn't everything. Go and enjoy each others company. It's not about the money or dividing things equally!
It's obvious some value money more than there friendships.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
you need Dr. Phil, not RV.net.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
call dear ABBY , just pay it and shut up. its only money ,not life or death.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
If we invite someone NEW to camping for a night or two, we pay for everything. If it is going to be for longer, we explain to the newbie how campgrounds work and the costs. We usually just split the costs in half - easier to figure out. Meals we plan out in advance - so far everyone we've camped with jumps in and offers to pay / provide an equal amount of meals.

We used to camp with 3 other families, and I would pull my hair out - because they were very much into "bring whatever, whenever". They wouldn't have set times for meals, and you never knew what was for dinner, or if you would have multiples of the same food. We always had a blast with the group camping, but I am a "planner", and would get a bit frustrated with the lack of meal planning.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Whichever path you decide, decide up front. If that is too awkward, then pay for it all.

We have done it all sorts of ways, whatever comes natural. Sometimes our tenting friends get their own site, other times they share our site. When sharing our site, they offered to pay half and we accepted. I don't think I would have asked.

We have always just split meal duty, each taking half of the shopping and cooking responsibility. Seems to work.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now you have an experience to learn from. Get all expense issues set before you go or donโ€™t go.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
A fishing buddy has joined us in the Keys for a week or two for the past two winters. He pays for his flight and we pick him up at Key West. He stays in our TT on a site that is about 3000.00 for a month. I haul his fishing kayak and gear from NC to the Keys. He buys some food and takes us out to eat while he is there. My wife and I enjoy his company and visa versa. Never thought about tallying up how much he owes me for the site etc.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I only camp with a couple situations:

My Daughter and her friends. I pay for site, food. They pay for extra curricular events like boat rental, horseback riding, fishing licenses, etc. that they may decide to do or not do.

A large group of friends (About 10-15 most years) that we have had a yearly campout for about 35 years now. one person goes shopping for all main meals. Everyone brings their own drinks and snacks. We total all expenses except the drinks and snacks (Site fees, Ice, Food, firewood, etc) and add up how many days each person has been there as some come in on Thursday and some Friday. Total them up and we have how many Mandays (1 day x 1 person) If it's 45 man-days, we divide the total amount by that number and then each person pays that times the number of days they were there.

Lastly is if I invite someone to go camping with me, they get the same treatment my daughter and her friends do. I pay for everything I normally would, they pay for extra's. I invited them, I plan on feeding them unless they decide to bring their own stuff and then we can cook together or they can do their thing, whichever they prefer.
If they get their own site, then their on their own other than welcome to share in our meals and campfires free of charge.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
It always seems that it's money that ruins relationships. Watch Judge Judy. If you asked her to come along and you did not specify up front who was paying for what then I would have just paid for her. We're not talking huge sums of cash here. Sorry but I agree...too many excuses.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
How I handle costs:

1. If I invite someone to join me on my trip, and they can fit (and be allowed) in my site, then I just have them pay the extra car fee. I'm going to pay for the site anyway for me to use, so I'm not going to expect them to pay that. Instead, I just expect them to pay the extra amount that I wouldn't be charged for if they didn't come.

2. If they need a separate site, then they pay their own way.

3. If they don't have their own cooking/food storage setup, then I plan food accordingly with their input and suggest things for them to bring (considering their ability to carry/store food).

4. If they have their own kitchen setup, then they bring their own, but as I usually make more than I need, I will offer to share my dinner.

Other than that, I don't worry about the expenses. But I suspect that is because I don't invite people with whom I have issues.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, some of you are awfully judgmental. I am talking to you bob. Yeah, we are explorers, not campers nor travelers. I knew there was a reason I do not frequent this site much. Others have had similar experiences here. Mods, please delete.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've only camped with family a couple of times and while it was a good time, we don't do it often, as scheduling seems to always be an issue and just plain not really wanting to! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I paid for the site and they paid for the extra vehicle fee. I was going to be there anyway and they slept in the tent part of the same site.

Food wise, it was a 'bring what you want to eat' and kinda made it a buffet out of it for breakfast and dinner. Lunch was on your own.

As far as what we all did, we went on the same 'excursions' as such, but if anyone wanted to do something the other didn't, then we just went our own way and met up later at some point.

Same deal when camping with friends, except they usually want their own site anyway, so no big deal.

Hope you can mend the fence as such with your sister at some point.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.