cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How does a longer shank affect backing?

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm pulling a 2014 Arctic Fox 25r with a 2015 Silverado 2509 HD.
Sometimes I scrape the tailight of the truck on the fiberglass nose cap of the trailer when backing it in to my driveway. Its a narrow street and I'm not 100% consistent in nailing it in on the first try without jacknifing. Will going from a 12" long shank to an 18" long shank buy me a bit of extra clearance between rear corner of truck and nose cap and better backing control?
13 REPLIES 13

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
The longer shank will give you more clearance, let you jack tighter. Will also pull more weight off front axle of TV. Lots of other issues, if going to tow that way.

Whangler wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
What do you think about putting a front hitch on?

Haven't even thought of it, but would certainly entertain that possibility. Tell me more?

Many think a idiot hitch is the way to go. And for many people and a boat trailer, I would agree. But while you are thinking about it, pull center of TV nose up to the tongue of the TT. What can you see? I would think it might be better to mount the hitch to the end of right frame rail, so could at least see 1 side of trailer.

That said, if one is truly at the physical limits of being able to back a trailer into a tight spot, a front hitch will get it into a tighter spot. Whether itโ€™s based on room for the tow vehicle to pivot, or the angle of jack knife required to get it there.
No question, not debatable. Having the steer axle near the trailer tongue acts more like a dolly than having to pivot the whole tow vehicle to make the trailer go in the right spot.
Whether one has been a professional cab jockey their whole life or a weekend warrior with their first trailer.

Using a front hitch as a crutch for lack of backing skills is an option, but not one that I find to be less difficult conceptually. You still have to stick the trailer where it needs to go without hitting something!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've towed two 30 foot trailers with two different Ram trucks--using extended shank hitches.
No problems at all. The trailer will track slightly closer to the truck track. When backing, the trailer can be turned sharper than when using a short shank.
As far as the hitch causing huge weight changes to the front axle, I haven't had any issues at all. I have an Equilizer brand hitch and towed about 25,000 miles with this type set up.
Your results may vary.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The longer shank will make the trailer slightly more responsive in backing, and the trailer will more closely follow in the wheel tracks of the truck on turns.

If you think your rear squats with the weight of the trailer, it's nothing compared to the front end. Think about it. The front end is sprung softer than the rear AND it already has a heavy engine on it. A large travel trailer will shove it right down to the ground.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
The longer shank will give you more clearance, let you jack tighter. Will also pull more weight off front axle of TV. Lots of other issues, if going to tow that way.

Whangler wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:

Haven't even thought of it, but would certainly entertain that possibility. Tell me more?

Many think a idiot hitch is the way to go. And for many people and a boat trailer, I would agree. But while you are thinking about it, pull center of TV nose up to the tongue of the TT. What can you see? I would think it might be better to mount the hitch to the end of right frame rail, so could at least see 1 side of trailer.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whangler wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:

That's how they move them at the distribution yards....They move passenger jets that way too.

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To your original question, of course it will move the trailer further from the truck and provide more room.
Unsure of the โ€œmore controlโ€ question, but you wonโ€™t notice the difference in length in โ€œhowโ€ it backs up.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Weight distribution and moment arm, transferred load, stress o the hitch receiver, etc will absolutely be affected by the distance from the receiver to the hitch ball and distance from hitch ball to truck axle.
How much is the question? 6โ€ longer wonโ€™t have a โ€œhugeโ€ effect. Although a 12โ€ long stinger shank is already fairly long.
If you need it, you need it, but seems like an extreme jack knife or grade break is likely the cause of the issue. Presuming it doesnโ€™t happen in any โ€œnormalโ€ say close to 90 deg jack knife backing.

Whatever you choose to do, get a proper 2.5โ€ shank if you donโ€™t already understand the importance of that. Towing heavy and hitch reducer sleeves donโ€™t mix well.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
MitchF150 wrote:
Won't that make for a longer "lever" as far as the hitch goes? Meaning, you will be putting more strain on the trucks hitch to get the same WD. But, if the hitch is up to the task, sounds like it'll help with your ability to turn tighter.

Do you remove the WD bars before doing the task?

I have to do that with my TT when I park it at home.. Just because of the angle of the driveway I have to go up, there is an extreme angle as the trailer goes up the driveway while the truck is still on the street.

Good luck! Mitch

Oh yeah, i remove the wd bars when I do tight backs. Questions answered on e-trailer.com seem to indicate that wd won't be affected as long as the tongue weight is within the limits of the shank's capacity. It's made by equal-izer which is the wd system on the truck.

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
It will help. To hit the nose cap of the AF on the tailgate, you must be pretty much jackknifing the trailer, eh?

Doesn't seem so, but obviously I'm cranking it too far.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Won't that make for a longer "lever" as far as the hitch goes? Meaning, you will be putting more strain on the trucks hitch to get the same WD. But, if the hitch is up to the task, sounds like it'll help with your ability to turn tighter.

Do you remove the WD bars before doing the task?

I have to do that with my TT when I park it at home.. Just because of the angle of the driveway I have to go up, there is an extreme angle as the trailer goes up the driveway while the truck is still on the street.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
It will help. To hit the nose cap of the AF on the tailgate, you must be pretty much jackknifing the trailer, eh?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator