cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How old is too old?

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
I am in my 70s and in good health, but I am thinking ahead to when I will no longer be able to safely handle my
40 foot diesel pusher.
Is there any consensus as to how old is too old to be doing this?
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy
45 REPLIES 45

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am 77 and we travel all the time . My 79 YO brother just turned in his drivers license , he went to sleep twice at red lights in one day . I would guess that we all will know when its time !

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Well all you old people over the 4th I drove 1100mi round trip in my DP towing my featherlite trailer with my race car. Drove the race car also. This weekend I will go 800mi round trip once more. I am 80 so motor on as I said before.

:E Wow that's cool. I'm 57 and have given up any dream I ever had of driving a race car. I don't even like driving in heavy traffic anymore.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well all you old people over the 4th I drove 1100mi round trip in my DP towing my featherlite trailer with my race car. Drove the race car also. This weekend I will go 800mi round trip once more. I am 80 so motor on as I said before.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You know it is not to the topic but every time I read this subject line the voices of 3 young men come to mind.. the Kingstion Trio... Bad Man's Blunder

The Judge was an old man (Too Old)
Ninety Three (Entirely Too Old)
And I didn't like the way... The Jury looked at me
(I think they were suspicious)

(They were GUILTY 99 years hard labor (At least they did not hang him)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
76 here. Don't mind towing, love to travel. Bending to hook-up and unhook is getting tough and the rough ride ride on some roads is pretty tiring. Have to farm out most of the maintenance now. Don't know how much longer I will go. My body will tell me. It's been fun.

B.O.

You remind me of my uncle. He is 70 and he is very active (sometimes I think he is more active than many young men ๐Ÿ™‚ ). He likes traveling and camping. Though my uncle has never been married, he is never alone. He finds partners on the ourtime dating site for seniors (you can check the ourtime dating reviews if interested). And he also always says that his body will tell him when it is time to stop.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
76 here. Don't mind towing, love to travel. Bending to hook-up and unhook is getting tough and the rough ride ride on some roads is pretty tiring. Have to farm out most of the maintenance now. Don't know how much longer I will go. My body will tell me. It's been fun.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
80 Leaving for 500mi trip in a few min. DP towing a trailer

Where is the like button ,one is badly needed . :C

I'll second that ๐Ÿ™‚

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I am almost 77 and feel I can drive the RV just fine. My Mom died at 98 when she slipped on the ice and broke her hip while getting in her car to drive a 40 mile trip. While I can drive just fine and am physically pretty strong, my wife has several medical issues and I can barely get her in and out of the camper. We want to take a trip to Montana this summer to see her sister but I am afraid we may not be able to because of her health. It is not always the driver that forces us to give up the RV! ๐Ÿ˜ž
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
cummins2014 wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
IMO it's 90,....(I'm 81)

Iโ€™ll second that !!! :B

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Do what you can until you canโ€™t.

Amen to that. None of us knows when our rev limiter will kick in.

Recognition, acknowledgement, and acceptance is the tough part.

I'm late sixties, had cataract surgery and lense implants in 2019. Surgery was a technical success, but left me with real bad glare issues from headlights of oncoming cars driving at night. So, I quit driving at night. Better that than be a hazard to myself, my wife, & others on the road.