cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to get rid of mice "smells"

jbobst
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the Arizona desert and all our houses here are pretty much built on concrete slabs and I've never had any issues with mice here (I've lived here all my life for the past 40 years). I mention this because my parents retired to live in the mountains of North Carolina, and they have mice on their property. Under their house, they have a musty crawl space where my dad leaves mouse traps. The smell under his house is the same smell I now have in my Class A diesel pusher and I really don't like it.

So, back to the question... About two years ago, my Class A was sitting unused in the storage facility for about a year without any use. I did go out every couple of months and run the generator and start the engine, but we didn't do any camping for at least a year. When we finally got it out of storage to take a camping trip, we found that mice had been in the basement storage area and in a few of the kitchen drawers. There were mouse droppings in the basement and in the drawers and they had chewed through a box of rice and some other items that had been left in the kitchen drawers. We took everything out of the motorhome and cleaned up all the mouse droppings and cleaned the drawers in the kitchen. Since then, I can't get rid of the "mouse" smell (just like the crawl space in my dad's house in NC). I at first thought maybe there was a dead mouse in some crevice I hadn't found yet, but then I thought that it's probably the smell of their urine in the suedo carpet lining that is in the basement area. I've sprayed Febreeze in the basement storage area, but it didn't make a difference. Is there any sort of device I can put in the basement area that would absorb these odors? I could put some sort of air freshener thing, but that would probably smell worse (sweet air freshener along with mouse smell). Anyone have a suggestion or have this same problem?
18 REPLIES 18

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
Try several shallow pans of T S T holding tank chemical shut up for about a week. I don't think you will have too many for that large an area.

It will be cheap and it worked on our frig after the power went off when we were gone.

Good luck.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Its rat urine....good luck.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

jbobst
Explorer
Explorer
Quick update: I ended up buying the Nature Miracle product from my local pet store (I bought the "expensive" bottle...the Advanced or heavy duty...or something like that). I sprayed the whole basement area about 4 days ago. The mouse smell is as strong as ever so no luck with that. The mice must have a nest somewhere or there must be a dead mouse somewhere in that basement area. It's a big 42' diesel motorhome and there are probably a ton of areas where a mouse can go and die and never be seen again.

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
Give Biocide a try. Will probably take two treatments. Just open the package and let it sit. They do have a website. Worked for us, good luck.

MicheMcCalliste
Explorer
Explorer
Had a similiar problem with our 5th wheel. Little critters setting up shop! lol I swear by a product called Freshana Organic Solutions. Don't use Febreze. Just masks the odors.

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
We used Nature's Miracle to get rid of cat urine oder - used something else to get rid of the cat.

As a forward to my earlier post concerning the "Royal Rodents" Nature's Miracle is what I used too. A really good product!
Steve

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Hantavirus

Before you start messing with rodent waste products, (urine and feces soaked carpet) read up on this potentially lethal virus.

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
Leave a 5lb bag of potato's in the coach for about 3 weeks in the middle of an az summer. You will welcome the Mice smell. Don't ask how I know this just take my word for. :S
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
We used Nature's Miracle to get rid of cat urine oder - used something else to get rid of the cat.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Next time remove all food/smells and leave cotton balls laced with PURE peppermint oil all over the RV. It will smell nice once out of storage, and no mices will have invaded your space.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

jbobst
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice...going to the pet store today and will let you know how it turns out.

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC has the answer. When my wife died she left me with two small dogs "The Royal Rodents" brother and sister maltese aka Bill & Monica. They were getting on in years and Bill became incontinent. The urine smell on the kitchen tiles became unbearable even though I'd clean it every day it had gotten into the tile grout. I also had to deal with occasional accidents on the living room carpet. When Bill finally passed on I dowsed the entire kitchen floor with the enzyme and took a hand sprayer full of the enzyme to the carpet. Within a day the urine odor was completely gone. A few more applications removed the carpet stains as well. What really impressed me was when I left the house for several days with the AC turned off and returned on a humid 95 degree day expecting the worse. Instead I found no odors at all, non zero zip nada!

Maybe I should've put Bill down when he developed his problems but out of respect for my late wife's memory I just couldn't.

Steve

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
This stuff works on any kind of odor. It's an emzine eater. Click here.

I'm sure you can find similar products at Lowe's, Menards, and any other big box home improvement stores. We use this for everything. From baby vomit (grandkids in the car) to cat and mice urine. Dead mice, and musty, foul smelling rotten musty wood, to sewer smells. You can spray it like an air freshener, in your laundry, carpets, and any spot you have a smell. Smells nice, eats the odor, and comes in quart bottles too. We keep it handy everywhere. Even gave some to my mother since she watches our dog!

chainegang
Explorer
Explorer
Had a similiar issue with my auto. Mice got into the air vent, how I do not know, but every time the heater was turned on the heated air was permeated with mice urine smell. Removing the nest did not clear up the smell issue but after using the following product it took care of the smell problem with just one thorough application. Even thou this product says for Ferret's IT DID WORK for my mice urine and is very inexpensive. Pet stores as was suggested is the best source but this site will ship. Nature's Miracle at http://www.natures-miracle.com/search.aspx#/?filter.brand=naturesmiracle&q=5177