cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to install tow lights on 2018 Ford Edge SEL??

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
OK, just spent a ton of money getting my new 2018 Ford Edge SEL ready to flat tow ( replacing my 2013 Edge SEL)
I got the supposedly proper Blue OX wiring kit etc based on their web site.

I went to a RV shop that specializes in this to have the base plate, break-away system and tow light system installed.

Got a call that the wiring kit did not work. The installer spent several hours off and on with Blue Ox on the phone trying to make it work but no go. It turns out that the wiring system in the 2018 SEL is different than the Sport and Titanium models and nobody makes a wiring kit for it???

Blue Ox finally admitted defeat and said nothing they had would work.

The installer said that there are 5 wires that go into the taillight and more than one has a signal on it when they use a meter. Local Ford dealers don't want to help as they need to pull a mechanic off the line to talk to Ford HQ to ask about schematics (no money in it for them).

The installer also said there is not enough room in the taillight to add a bulb, so that is out as well. I can't use magnetic lights as there is no longer any metal on the roof.

I've checked with some other manufactures and they all say they don't make a kit for the 2018 SEL due to wiring changes - only for the Sport and Titanium.

I'm trying to think of some ideas that will look neat. I was hoping not to have to put tow lights on and off the vehicle this time but I guess that's out.

Maybe a 1/2 roof rack with a metal plate? Anyone have any ideas or have you done this for the 2018 SEL?

Thanks

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)
10 REPLIES 10

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Try the kit for the Fusion

I think the issue is the Titanium and Sport use a separate amber turn signal, while the SEL uses a combined red brake/turn signal like the Fusion.

Another option is to use the rear fog lamps from overseas models, which replace the lower reflectors.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP: what wiring kit did you get from Blue Ox?
The only one that shows is a diode based. It is for 2017 and not 2018. Others that are shown are not for toad wiring but for trailer connection.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Wireless light kit = $151.

Diodes = $35.

Easy decision for me! I like the ease of the diodes. I have diodes in my 2016 Cherokee and 2013 SHO.

William
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP is going to use the Edge as a toad.
Installing diode package prevents power from back feeding into the Edge's computers.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
Problems some owners are running into is the BCM on a lot of vehicles today no longer use a simple fuse for Brake and Taillights. They use special electronic fuses called HSD'S. They are very current sensitive and open when current exceeds a preset amount. Some vehicles require to r&r to a trailer BCM or Fuse box. You may need relays or a converter to run any trailer lights.
Clandeboye , Manitoba

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Etrailer wireless toad lights

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
look for Wireless tow lights.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using this light strip on my Tahoe, ran wires through the frame to the front bumper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01INY7F1G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There should be no reason that a diode based wiring would not work. Roadmasterinc.com has wiring directions under the support area. A simple plug type wiring may not work It takes cutting the Edge's wiring and installing diode to prevent feed back into the computer.
One option would be magnetic lights. I installed a four conductor wire under previous toad. Left a female trailer connector on rear of vehicle. Then plugged in the magnetic lights to it. This was on SUV. I left the new wire in the back of it and ran magnetic light wiring through the rear door.
Another newer method is wireless lights. Have not seen too many in use.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
One option that might work for you is an LED strip light. Check Amazon for, led truck light strip, The strip has all the functions and could hopefully blend in with the back of the Edge without being too noticeable