cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to remove calking on fiber glass roof

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
We searched the archives but we cannot find a match to our request.

The issue is..we have a crack in the motorhome's roof near the tub skylight and actually need to remove and rechalk almost everything on the roof since the rig is a 2002. Therefore our problem...after so much time some of the calk is the original and hardened so just scraping with a putty knife doesn't do the job.

Will a heat gun be a reasonable tool to help soften the product to aid in removal? We are just assuming it will work but are there other tips anyone has for removing older calking?
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad
7 REPLIES 7

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry on two counts...yes the finger that typed the word caulk needed a talking to!!!

Sorry for taking so long to reply, have been busy in the workshop all weekend.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, assumed with care the heat gun will work and may also look for the product you mentioned.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, duplicate post
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

westend
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:
westend wrote:
3M caulk remover, sold at most hardware and big box stores will save a lot of calories.

Not sure how this stuff would work on fiberglass, but, I have used it without issues, on plastic bath tubs.
Fiberglass is inert to most materials. I guess a user could look at the label to see if there are any warnings for different surfaces. The remover is basically a strong butyl type cleaner and water, AFAIK.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
3M caulk remover, sold at most hardware and big box stores will save a lot of calories.

Not sure how this stuff would work on fiberglass, but, I have used it without issues, on plastic bath tubs.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Your search probably depends on how you spelled 'caulk'
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Heat gun on low, keep it moving. Plastic scraper.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.