cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-5 Bridge Collapse

naive1
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest that anyone who is visiting Washington State coming from the south enter Washington over the 205 freeway rather than the I-5 freeway. The bridge that just collapsed north of Mt. Vernon, Washington had a rating of 57 out of 100 by the American Society of Civil Engineers. The I-5 bridge between Washington and Oregon has a rating of 49 on the southbound side and 18 on the northbound side. Still, we have an idiot county commissioner who does not want a new bridge to be built.
Ted & Penny
06 Mandalay 40F
06 Jeep Liberty Toad
07 VStar

Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe. ~Anatole France
13 REPLIES 13

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Current estimate is Thursday 6/20. It will have a 35 mph speed limit. The permanent replacement section is scheduled to open in late Sept.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like they should have the temp bridge ready a head of the 4th of July.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/9070102866/in/set-72157633665218854/lightbox/

Progress
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
My former SIL's company is the one making the repairs on the bridge. Not only did the truck hit the main support beam that brought it down, but hit 4 more along the span and almost brought the whole bridge down. Some of the beams are up to 3' out of square. The detour is working fine, the detour takes some time, but the new temp bridge should be done by the 21st of June. They are shooting for the 15th. You can go to their DOT website and watch the progress.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like WDOT is on target to have the Bailey bridge up by Mid June!

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/I5/SkagitRiverBridgeReplacement

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
You're so right revump. I don't think anyone really trusts the electronic media any more. What scares the******out of me is where do we get our information any more? Where is the next Walter Cronkite? None of these current lackeys has enough integrity to fill a thimble.

revump
Explorer
Explorer
News broadcasters, when they don't know what is going on, still have to say something. I could tell from the beginning that they were shooting in the dark and had to say something. What a waste the reporting was. Just glad no one died
Bob

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Seems this was caused by another idiot behind the wheel. After seeeing it on the news tonight I thought the oversized load striking the bridge caused it. Just goes to show one shouldn't place blame till the whole truth is known.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
One of the people who ended up in the water was interviewed on TV ,outside the Hospital where His Wife is recovering.

He stated that the Truck pulling the oversized Load was unable to move to the Left (centre of Bridge) despite having His signals on to do so because another Transport Truck was in the Left Lane overtaking Him!

If what He stated is true the Police should be trying to locate and question the driver of that other Truck.

It seems to Me that other traffic must have slowed to allow the Oversized Load to proceed, other wise I'm sure there would have been many more Vehicles involved.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hate the term "Functionly obsolete"! It simply means the newer improved design standards exist now that this bridge doesn't meet. This has to do with width of travel lanes, shoulders , and vertical clearance! This has nothing to do strength of the bridge.
Most bridges more than five years old are "Functionly Obsolete"!

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
The bridge is over 50 years old. Hard to believe it has never taken a good hit before. Should be interesting.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
Not when an oversize rig hits the supporting beam which caused the bridge to fall. It was too tall for the bridge. They failed to review the route before crossing. It had nothing to do with just hitting any beam. I have traveled that bridge hundreds of time and the structure was good. But you take an oversized rig with pilot cars and they don't follow the rules s*** happens.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is structural if a hit somewhere on the bridge makes it collapse. It should be able to withstand accidents with cars and trucks hitting parts of the structure without it collapsing.

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
It was not a structural thing. Apparently a oversize truck hit a support beam.