Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idle Jeep Wrangler while towing?

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
Morning everyone,

I have a question? Is it OK to let a Jeep Wrangler idle while hooked up to MH for towing?

The reason I asked is my battery was dead after towing for 2 days. Fuses checked out OK so not sure if issue was new install of Stay-in-Play brake system or if battery was just old (5 yrs old). I had to replace battery and I don’t want to buy another new battery when I drive back 2 days (if the problem is brake controller).

So i thought I’d see about idling while at rest stops on the way home as a precaution.

Thanks
Ezgoin
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
12 REPLIES 12

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
ezgoin wrote:
This is my 2nd Stay-in-Play. Just had the new one installed this summer. Didn’t have a battery issue with the 1st one, so already have a charge line installed. I was concerned maybe the installer made a wiring issue. I’m hoping it was just time for the 4 1/2 year old battery to give out.
When I unhooked the toad, it started up and we drove it a couple hundred yards to our site, but it was dead the next morning. So, hopefully, it had received enough charge through the MH before dying overnight.

I like the idea of a volt meter that plugs into a 12V outlet in the Jeep. Where do you get those?

Ezgoin
Amazon, search for ‘voltage tester lighter plug’ and a bunch will come up.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
This is my 2nd Stay-in-Play. Just had the new one installed this summer. Didn’t have a battery issue with the 1st one, so already have a charge line installed. I was concerned maybe the installer made a wiring issue. I’m hoping it was just time for the 4 1/2 year old battery to give out.
When I unhooked the toad, it started up and we drove it a couple hundred yards to our site, but it was dead the next morning. So, hopefully, it had received enough charge through the MH before dying overnight.

I like the idea of a volt meter that plugs into a 12V outlet in the Jeep. Where do you get those?

Ezgoin
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy has a Focus that needs the battery disconnected for towing. However his Brake Buddy requires power from the cigarette lighter to operate and keep the internal battery charged. So we ran the charge wire into the car and installed a power outlet powered from the MH through the charge line. This let's him disconnect the battery for towing and still keep the Brake Buddy powered up when towing!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look into changing your braking system so you don’t need any power at the Jeep while towing. We can remove the key to the Jeep, thus no power drain at all.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Five years on a car battery is excellent! Buy a new battery.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Use a voltmeter to check your Jeep’s voltage at each stop for at least the first day. That should tell you if it is being drained enough to matter. If not, don’t worry about idling it.

I have a meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Easier than raising the hood.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Put in a charge line from the MH. You shouldn't have to run it at all with that installed.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if it is recommended or not but I do know that I accidently left ours running all the way from Hiawassee, Ga to Athens, Ga. Got interrupted by some long winded guy as we were getting ready to leave and just forgot it. With the engine running for a couple or three hours I was worried but nothing noticeable found. The Brake buddy sure did stop quick several times. Lucky I had put the transfer case in neutral I guess.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Stay-in-play does draw power from the toad's battery. Barring a dying battery (which is entirely possible), the question is: Are you getting power on your charge line from the MH to the toad?

If you are having issues keeping the battery up, then I'd say yes - idle the jeep while at rest stops, just to top it up. As I stated - the Stay-in-play does use the toad's battery, so if the battery is dying/dead, then you'll have little to no supplemental brakes.

It certainly is a good idea to put a new battery in the jeep anyway.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a charge line from the RV? Get your voltmeter out and check that voltage is getting to the Jeep battery.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arizona? 5 year battery life is GREAT for Arizona. 120* heat KILLS batteries. Time for a trip to Costco or Sam's Club to buy a new battery.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
No need for all that excessive idle time. 5 years is max for a wet cell battery. As long as there is nothing on there should be no draw. You don’t leave the key on while towing do you? There is no column lock so leaving the key on isn’t necessary.
You could always run a charge wire from the MH 7-way to the vehicle connector and then to the battery.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!