cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If your RV is stored outside, go check on it.

Wingcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I went over to the storage unit today to look over our rv and noticed a broken vent cover laying on the ground a few feet away. Climbing the ladder to check my vent covers, which were fine, I could see the front vent cover missing on a fifth wheel that is parked close to ours. We had some big winds a couple weeks ago, and some big rains since then.

The weather people are predicting 100 per cent chance of rain tomorrow, so I called the owners of the storage facility and gave them the information. They were going to call the 5th wheel owner.

Later, I wondered if they made contact. Are the owners out of town for the holidays? I tried to call again but the business was closed for the day. so, now what do I do. Do I go home and find some plastic and go up and cover it up? We had a little freezing rain and snow the last couple days so I wasn't excited about the thought of falling off a strangers RV.

I decided to drive to the business and try to catch an employee leaving. Fortunately, I did talk to the lady that called he owner. She said it was a local number and when she told them of the problem, all they said was thank you. I guess I won't worry about it anymore.

Now don't get me wrong here. I'm not after any praise or reward. What I wish, is that the owner would have said, We will go over right away and take care of it, or I don't know what to do, I have no one to help. Then I could have followed up and made sure it is covered up.

It is an older rv and the vent is above the bedroom area. I'm afraid here may already be a lot of water damage in there. Maybe they already know and its an insurance issue.

I know there are people watching out for me and I just want to do the same for others. Hopefully this will inspire someone to go check their rv if they haven't for a while. Have a safe and happy new year everyone.
19 REPLIES 19

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You did the right thing. I would have considered throwing a tarp over the hole but 5ers are tall compared to TTs. My collapsible ladder only goes to 12 feet.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TwoManyToyz
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
You did the right thing but some people just don't seem to care, especially if it's an older camper. There are 2-3 older campers in my storage lot that have seen better days. The one next to me seems to be used as a storage trailer...it's full of junk and the TTs fiberglass siding is horribly delaminated.

This is so true and its not just in the RV world, I'm a boater too and it kills Me to see some of the stuff people do to new, or newer boats. Just like RV's. Some times I think there needs to be a Stupidity test before you can by a boat or RV.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
You did the right thing but some people just don't seem to care, especially if it's an older camper. There are 2-3 older campers in my storage lot that have seen better days. The one next to me seems to be used as a storage trailer...it's full of junk and the TTs fiberglass siding is horribly delaminated.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
What a bummer. Glad to hear you were keeping an eye out for your neighbor. See something, say something, good advice.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
You did the right thing. I know if was my rig, Iโ€™d be most appreciative that someone took the effort to tell me about the broken vent.