cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

incontinence/bladder control

jambo101
Explorer
Explorer
Seems in my latter years (68) i've developed a bladder control issue that at the moment is preventing me from any long distance driving as i now have to stop every hour or so to go to the bathroom.
Seems like an unexpected problem that will end my camping life as now camping will be relegated to only very local venues, any one else have a similar problem? or have any ideas on how to address the issue.

Thanks
"Second star to the right, and straight on till morning."
49 REPLIES 49

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
covetsthesun wrote:
I'd see a doctor. It may be something as simple as a bladder infection irritating the urethra. That would cause the urge feeling. Ditto on the prostate... having to go often is a classic symptom of an enlarged prostate. They have medication for that.

If it does turn out to be an infection, make daily cranberry juice your friend once it's cleared up! Women have known about cranberry juice forever!

Good luck

Ok count me in as one who should read the entire post before jumping in. Sorry about that. Good luck!

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
I'd see a doctor. It may be something as simple as a bladder infection irritating the urethra. That would cause the urge feeling. Ditto on the prostate... having to go often is a classic symptom of an enlarged prostate. They have medication for that.

If it does turn out to be an infection, make daily cranberry juice your friend once it's cleared up! Women have known about cranberry juice forever!

Good luck

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
just got my Dr. Leonard's catalog. they have exactly what you need, a sheath urinal kit.
bumpy

mayble
Explorer
Explorer
As an aside, when I mentioned a similar problem to my doctor a few years ago, she said to avoid alcohol, caffeine and spicy foods.
All my favorite things, of course.
I'll continue to wash down my nachos with a rum and coke and take my chances, but this thread reminds me of one more reason I'll be looking at motorhomes vs travel trailers ๐Ÿ˜‰

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
jambo101 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Remind me to always ask the OP "what have you already done?" before assuming he's done nothing.

Havent really done much at this point other than tell the doctor of my frequent need to urinate on a recent trip from Montreal to Toronto and back.

The attachment of that Stadium Pal device unfolds like a condom making it apparently a very secure fit, the actual collection bag is strapped to your leg..

Off road racers in the Baja 1000 race would use this type of device. The only difference is the hose would run down their leg and dump out on the floor of the race vehicle. Most race vehicles have holes in the floor to allow water (running through river/creek crossings) to drain out.

mayble
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:

but I buy the urinal bottles at a home health supply co for $1.00 and enjoy taking a "new" one to keg parties to drink out of. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

I bet no one ever accidentally drank your beer.
Excellent plan.:C

jambo101
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Remind me to always ask the OP "what have you already done?" before assuming he's done nothing.

Havent really done much at this point other than tell the doctor of my frequent need to urinate on a recent trip from Montreal to Toronto and back.

The attachment of that Stadium Pal device unfolds like a condom making it apparently a very secure fit, the actual collection bag is strapped to your leg..

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Worth remembering that tea, pop and coffee are diuretics. A cup of tea after 7 pm means several visits to the bathroom in the night for me.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

also you could remind OPs to be a little more informative in their post so that such assumptions need not be made.
If he travels by a non-RV any trips over an hour would be affected.
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
the various catalogs I receive in the mail frequently have a male incontinence device, basically a balloon hooked with a hose to a bottle, to simplify it. that device stadium pal gives me question as to how it hooks and stays put where it is supposed to.
but I buy the urinal bottles at a home health supply co for $1.00 and enjoy taking a "new" one to keg parties to drink out of. ๐Ÿ™‚
so that would certainly be one possibility as all you would have to do was pull over to the side of a road/rest area/walmart/any business and use it.
bumpy

jambo101
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replies so far.
Clarification.
We are solely tent campers so no onboard facilities in the car.
i have seen the doctor/s he just gave me several kinds of pills to take none of which work.
Driving Montreal to Tampa twice a year will make for a long trip if i gotta stop every hour. Also rest areas arent always conveniently located.
Peeing in a bottle while driving is impossible.
Prostate was checked and in the opinion of the doctor it was normal.

Since posting i've been doing a bit of online research and come up with a few varieties of this kind of product=
Stadium Pal.
Any one tried such a device?, seems the soft external catheter is the key.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Worth repeating:

Preventable medical errors persist as the No. 3 killer in the U.S. โ€“ third only to heart disease and cancer.

Medicine is a business and some provide better customer care and competence than others.

Good luck to the OP.

Could you show a link for this information? Here are my findings of the top:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

Search medical malpractice deaths...........Several to look at....

Here is one: http://www.forbes.com/sites/leahbinder/2013/09/23/stunning-news-on-preventable-deaths-in-hospitals/
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely not a travel stopper.
When I had cancer back in 2001, the surgeon messed up my bladder when I had a hysterectomy. We are full timers, with a fifth wheel, and travel 100-200 miles at least one a week.
I have to stop about once an hour. DH uses that 5 minutes to check the tire temp and other misc. stuff.
I would recommend you see your Doctor. Prostate cancer has become very common for men over 60. Could be an enlarged prostate, but definitely something to get checked out.
If the stopping bothers you, use one of the portable urination bottles for men. They are on Amazon for about $5.
Good luck and travel safe
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us