cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

Blondie_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Don/Shar, it looks like GGS has been eliminating a few problem employees lately and everything is running good. They have some new gates and are putting people to work quickly.

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
abusman40 wrote:
Mfar1234 wrote:
Oh, i agree w/ you...after all i have read. They are the best GGC!

thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Reading is one thing but actual work experience with the company is another. GGS having lost 2,that I know of, very experienced gate guards says something is wrong.

My wife and I have actual work experience with GGS, out side of a "couple of service people" that are no longer with GGS we have had a pleasant experience. I have enjoyed working with GGS and will again next year. The GGS people,are great to work for and the new service people we have had has been good.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

Mfar1234
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, as dangerous as it is that i may get my head bitten off I gotta ask.

"If they have been breaking the law since 2009 or so - and it has reached several million dollars." Would it make sense to say that "maybe they are not breaking the law?"
:C
Mfar1234
40' 2002 Alpine Coach, 400 ISL Cummings/3000 6sd Allison
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Brodie - Lab Mix and Baylee - Border Collie

Leathercrafter
Explorer
Explorer
Blondie Girl wrote:
I said there are 3 companies that I would not work for. I did not name the companies and did not say anything bad about them. They may be a perfect match for others.
Like a car salesman friend told me once, "There's a butt for every seat."
We have been with GGS for over 2 yrs fulltime and are very satisfied here and well taken care of.
Everyone needs to be where they are most comfortable and happy with their job. Some folks can not be happy no matter where they are at.
Cheers Everyone!!

IMO, people who are considering this type of work should be made aware of the experiences of those who have/had worked for these companies. If that conflicts with your experience, then it is what it is. I did not mention any details as to what the instances/experience we had with GGS, so I don't see how that is "badmouthing" the company.

"Some folks can not be happy no matter where they are at," has nothing to do with our experience.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Mfar1234 wrote:
OK, I'll give you that. Just saying that i don't agree they are breaking the law buy sub-contracting

no worries and hope you take my comments in the spirit in which they are intended

thanks
But both the state of Texas and the US government say they are breaking the law and that is the reason for the cease and desist lawsuit that is pending in federal court. Also, Texas has notified just one of the companies that on 7/24/10, they owed a total of $6.4 million in back wages for not paying the minimum wage, which has since been up dated to over $10 million. The owner of that company said to my face, he would NEVER pay any back wages or settlement. I don't need a special book to read what is going to happen.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Blondie_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
I said there are 3 companies that I would not work for. I did not name the companies and did not say anything bad about them. They may be a perfect match for others.
Like a car salesman friend told me once, "There's a butt for every seat."
We have been with GGS for over 2 yrs fulltime and are very satisfied here and well taken care of.
Everyone needs to be where they are most comfortable and happy with their job. Some folks can not be happy no matter where they are at.
Cheers Everyone!!

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Monello wrote:
I got in this conversation late. My question to anyone that has done this type of work is, How safe is it? Are you out in the middle of nowhere with undesirable types lurking around?
We have been doing this for 7 years, from the RGV to Gonzales and west to the Carrizo Springs area. We are retired LEO, so have less fear than others may have. Get a map and draw a line from Eagle Pass east to Fowlerton, south to Freer, then back west to Laredo. We personally will NOT work inside that box, due to heavy cartel activity, both drug and human trafficking. Also, there has been confirmed violence towards gate guards inside that box, very recently. Any place else in Texas is as safe as one could expect in this day of turmoil. There have been reports of increased theft activity at many sites, but no violence against gate guards in those instances. PM me for additional info that I will NOT out on a public forum, about personal safety.

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.

Mfar1234
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I'll give you that. Just saying that i dont agree they are breaking the law buy sub-contracting

no worries and hope you take my comments in the spirit in wich they are intended

thanks
Mfar1234
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4

loydstuts
Explorer
Explorer
Monello wrote:
I got in this conversation late. My question to anyone that has done this type of work is, How safe is it? Are you out in the middle of nowhere with undesirable types lurking around?

Yes, generally you are out in the middle of nowhere. I feel perfectly safe, as I have seen no sign of undesirables. In my area, I DO see very regular Border Patrol presence which helps account for that. The fact is, not being able to go to town together is a bigger problem for me! Be Blessed

abusman40
Explorer
Explorer
Blondie Girl wrote:
Leathercrafter wrote:
Blondie Girl wrote:
Do not be afraid to go to work for GGS. They are a very large company and have excellent equipment and good service people.
There are many other gate guard companies around and some also would be good to work for....
You just have to decide for yourself which company best fits your needs.

GGS is not a company I would choose to work for based on our personal experiences. I would strongly suggest and encourage those who are considering the work of a gate guard to do extensive research with respect to the different companies. The gate guard company's support, or lack thereof, is a major factor in one's ability to perform their duties as a gate guard.

Why badmouth GGS just because you yourself had a bad experience?

Can't figure out how that's badmouthing GGS. I've read much worse regarding GGS. Telling someone to do their homework only makes sense.

abusman40
Explorer
Explorer
Mfar1234 wrote:

thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Reading is one thing but actual work experience with the company is another. GGS having lost 2,that I know of, very experienced gate guards says something is wrong.

Leathercrafter
Explorer
Explorer
Blondie Girl wrote:

Why badmouth GGS just because you yourself had a bad experience?

Let me see if I understand this correctly - you can say that there are gate guard companies that you would not work for and that's not considered badmouthing? Yet I say I would not choose to work for GGS based on our personal experience and that is considered badmouthing? Give me a break.

Monello
Explorer
Explorer

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Mfar1234 wrote:

thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
Actually you need to know what is happening within the company "today", before making this comment. It is NOT the same company as it was just 3 months ago. Not going to elaborate, but we worked for them for 3 years and watched a complete and total reversal of what GGS was and what it is today, in just a very few short months.

Mfar1234
Explorer
Explorer

thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
Mfar1234
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4