cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Invisibrake or Stay-In-Play Duo ??

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
New to Class A Motorhome fun. Should pick up my 2017 Thor Challenger 37YT today. Excited but intimidated. LOL>

Have been studying the supplemental braking systems for my dingy which will be a 2014 Honda CRV that is front wheel drive. I like how the Invisibrake and Stay-In-Play activate the dingy power brakes and are very simple to use once installed. Also like the dingy battery being charged.

I am nervous about using the surge brake system by Readybrake.

So what is your experience with the Invisibrake vs the Stay-In-Play systems?? Which should I get??

Thanks??
7 REPLIES 7

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
See if you have room to install a separate bulb and socket in the tail lights, then you don't have to tie into your toads brake light circuit. If you use the stay and play duo you can run a wire to the MH dash to light a light when the Stay and play has activated the toads brakes.

Make sure when you tow the CRV to follow the instructions to the letter had a friend go through two transmissions pulling his.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
I have used the same stay in play duo on three different toads over a period of about eight years. No problems at all with it.

Likewise here too. We have used the same Stay and Play Duo on two separate toads over the last 7 years with two different coaches, one gas and now on the diesel with excellent results. Albeit SMI does make a model specific for diesel powered rigs/exhaust/compression brakes with their Air Force , but our original Duo has served us very well.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for responses! Sounds like both these will be ok.

FYI. My plan is to charge the car battery using the hot wire from the 6 wire coming from the RV. It is already there. Just have to wire it in with a fuse on it so I hear.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the same stay in play duo on three different toads over a period of about eight years. No problems at all with it.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another family member now has the CRV with the Invisibrake and won't tow it but I removed the fuse to disable it.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Invisibrake worked well on our 04 CRV with no issues.

However, be aware that there were very early credible reports of false braking including when not towed. Roadmaster did not acknowledge this and I don't know if they made any changes.

And be sure you understand the battery charging part. As I recall the only possible charging occurs when the lights are on - ie the power comes from the light circuit. So the lights must be on and even then charging may be inadequate. My 04 didn't need charging but newer cars may have much more drain like navigation being on when towed.

For me there is very little additional cost to just using a 6 wire cable which has heavier ground and charge wires. On both my CRV and Jeep I also connected the spare wire from the toad brake lights to a MH cab light so that I know when the toad brakes are applied. I bought the Jeep set up with towing including the Air Force 1 brake.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We have used Invisibrake for several years - no problems. Only thing we are not happy about is ours was installed under the driver's seat of our Jeep Cherokee.
The box does not quite fit entirely under the seat and takes up floor space for a passenger in the back seat. We do not have passengers too often and when we do, I sit there so as to avoid ay damage that might happen to the unit.
Your CRV might have more room to house the unit.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)