Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is My WD Hitch Setup Right?

Delano1981
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

I am a new rv'r and just purchased my first travel trailer, a 1993 Terry Fleetwood 24C. I pull it with a 2007 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4X4 Quad Cab. My hitch is a Curt round bar WD hitch rated for 800/8000. After following the great sticky guide for setting it up on this forum, my final setup has the front truck height back to where it started, the trailer is level, but the back measurement is 1.25" lower than where it started. My truck rides about that much rear end high normally, so the truck is actually level with the trailer coupled. I think that this setup is good, but I wanted to ask anyway. The rig is level in the picture, I just didn't have the camera level.
Thanks

Moderator edit to fix picture URL and size.

2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 5.7L Hemi
1993 Terry Resort 24C
8 REPLIES 8

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I straightened and cropped your image. I agree the trailer looks level. Or at least really really close to level.

Delano1981
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the comments. I haven't had any stability issues so far on the interstate or on smaller highways, but i also haven't gone faster than 65 either. I will try going 70-75 and see if I have any problems. I know that the picture looks like it is going up hill, but that parking lot is actually level. I think I didn't have the camera level when I took it and I think the lens distorts a little at the edges.

Thanks again everyone
2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 5.7L Hemi
1993 Terry Resort 24C

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, if you got the front end back to unloaded ride height, you're 99.9% of the way there.

For those that say it looks "nose high" the pavement is running UPHILL in the picture. It's a flat, but not level, surface, or the picture was taken with the camera tilted a bit.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
So how does it tow for YOU? That's all that matters in the end. If you can drive with only one hand on the wheel when a semi is passing you, it's a good setup..

How do I know that? Well, that's all I have on my wheel when they go blasting past me.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sure, I will feel them, and even a wind gust, but there is nothing uncomfortable about any of it..

From your pic it' looks good.. But, in the end, it's all how it feels to you.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Alittle nose high to me

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't worry about the height of the rear of the truck. It will be what it will be. It is the front axle weight restoration that you are after and it sounds and looks like you got it right. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with ScottG above but it's a little hard to see from how far away I am...

Maybe looks a little nose high (maybe)....but the proof is in how it handles trip loaded and on the road.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Looks pretty good although your head isn't tilted much.
If it tows well and you get no sway even when pushed to 70~75* then your probably good to go. If it does sway then perhaps lower the front of the trailer and tilt the head slightly more.

*To the gallery, I did not say to tow regularly at this speed, just to run it up there once to see if it's table. If it's going to sway then it will probably do so at those speeds.