cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was excited to get back into RVing in the last year as both the wife & I had done a lot of RVing in past lives going back a # of yrs. One of the things we were looking forward to was getting to meet new people along the way. So far in a 1/2 dozen trips or so back into it, with the exception of 1 trip we've only seen what I would call 'shut-ins'.

Understand not everyone wants to chit-chat with strangers / some might prefer peace & quiet, but it's really been kind of a drag not running into neat / interesting people while camping.

Never thought one would have to join a club in order to have some social interaction out on the road but I'm beginning to wonder if that's just the way it is nowadays....
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10
175 REPLIES 175

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are going to the wrong places. Certainly for socializing you would want to avoid places like National Parks where people come for the scenery and attractions.

Instead you would want a nice RV park where the residents are retired or certainly are not just living there to be convenient to work. Some of the best I have seen were in Yuma, Az. They have tall cinder block walls and very small spaces with lots of retirees jammed in. You can socialize, play cards and talk RV parts and repairs until you cannot stand it any longer.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Also, there are areas of the country that are more publicly social than others. I've had more conversations with strangers in the southeast than the northeast. The northeast with it's small lot sizes and high population density makes people territorial, and a impromptu conversation is more often than not greeted with "what does he want". This lack of space bubbles into all aspects of life, from the aggressive driving habits of people there to the amount of space you must leave between you and another person in line at the grocery store. And whatever you do, don't call anyone 'hun'!

We find that most campers are still somewhat social if they're outside. If it's hot and the A/C is running, you just see fewer people outside. Hotter weather is hotter than it used to be.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
People are afraid of each other in the current culture. We are taught that using the wrong pronoun is a federal offense. Political views have become catalysts for explosive reactions. It is just not worth it to some to risk having their camping experience ruined by a confrontation. Back in the day, it seems to me, people were more interested in finding common ground. Now so many are "spring-loaded" to the defensive position. JMHO
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We're partial to state and national parks over private parks, and we have noticed that weekenders tend to be much less social than the folks staying for a couple of weeks. Maybe it's because they're trying to cram too much in their short stay versus the others that can be more relaxed. One common ice breaker we see quite often is seeing someone with plates from our home state when we're out of state and striking up a "Where about's..." conversation. "Dog talk" is another good conversation starter. And Fizz brings up a good point, it's important to listen more than talk as the conversation progresses. Make sure everyone has their say...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
In our experiences "Social People" are talkers, not listeners.
You can't get a word in and they don't understand peace and quiet. yak, yak, yak.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Agree with the trend you noted. But not all is lost- there are still outgoing folks about.

What we do is just smile and say hello to folks walking by the campsite or when we are on our way to the bath house/etc. Sometimes a nice comment on their dรฉcor, Rv, dog, or whatever. Sometimes that starts a conversation and those are the folks I want to talk to anyway. The grumps can stay inside and isolated if they want.

You hit the nail on the head. Folks love to talk about themselves or about their 'stuff'. If you truly want to start a discussion with someone, give a compliment and ask a few generic questions about something visible. Respect their space. Some just do not want to invest time in someone who will be moving on in a week or two or a couple months to never be seen again. Others appear friendly on the 'outside', but their body language tells you they are not interested. Everyone can relate to a smile and a kind voice. Most want to talk about themselves. If you want to be social, start there. Look in the mirror, see what others see. Do you reek of the 'stand offish' attitude or are you welcoming, pleasant, and sincere?

Being kind to others is not rocket science. Being generally interested in others requires an investment of time and a sincere effort to show that you are interested in what they have to say.

Good luck.

Lakeside

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I understand the not good at making conversation. But I try just saying hello and see where it leads. I'll bet more often than not you will have a good conversation out of a random good morning.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
ependydad wrote:

This is 100% the opposite of our experience. We wave and almost always get waves back.

I'm not good at talking to strangers so I won't instigate a discussion unless you have something specific that I have questions about.

I'm OK with talking back if someone else talks to me.

This describes me exactly. I am not antisocial, I am just not good at making conversation.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
WHERE ARE YOU NOW, GODUCKS? Iโ€™ll talk to you between sips of your beer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
The offroad community seems more sociable than ever. I see posts on social media almost daily this time of year.

Stuff like "family of 4 looking for a group to camp with". Or..."2 old fast guys looking to ride and drink beers till midnight".

They all get replies from complete strangers giving their camp location and time of stay.

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
We camp with family mostly and have no desire to speak to outsiders. If someone approached us we would be friendly but we arent camping to meet new people.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
goducks10...now you are going to have me watching for that sign and cooler, when I'm out walking. I like a good pale ale, but if cold, will drink other.
I may have talked to another forum member, but never think to mention rv.net

Jerry

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Powertour wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I never have problems finding people to talk to. Maybe it's you, lol

You know the reason I started this thread is b/c I was starting to wonder if it wasn't me (& the Mrs). Never had an issue for years before (neither did she) & judging from a # of the responses here it seems it might not just be me (&/or the Mrs). ๐Ÿ˜‰

Used to be if you were hanging outside with a beer/drink, bbq'ing etc, nearby people would see that as an opportunity to interact some.

Yeah it's gotten so bad the we have to put a cooler out by the front of the truck with a sign that says "Free beer if you talk to me".
Not sure if we have poor taste in beer or people are just more introverted these days but we don't get many takers.:?

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been full-time since 2011 and have noticed the same things the entire time we have been traveling out here. There are some that will wave and say hi, but don't seem like they really want any conversation. Our idea of socializing though IS NOT activities at a snowbird park. Parks we have stayed at longer term there has been 1 or 2 others that were genuinely friendly that you could sit/chat with for awhile and maybe a bbq or two, but most, no.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I agree, I like to sit outside and people watch. And also say hi too. While I like to be inside to relax, I like to be outside as much as possible. Even when we were at Cedar Point in Mid July when it was 95 and the humidity was very high, I was still sitting outside relaxing and drinking a beer.

That's why we never go to Cedar Point in mid July.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP