cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this legal???

moniki
Explorer
Explorer
We are fairly new at RVing and have been planning a summer trip to the Northeast. Made a lot of park reservations last year, since I heard that was imperative to get into some of the parks. Some of these we had to pay ahead of time. We made reservations at one popular resort in New Hampshire last November paying in full and receiving a receipt and confirmation. The other day, I received a letter stating that we owed $80 because of the 2019 price hikes.

Is this right? I mean if I bought a plane ticket last year for this year, could they bill me for a price change? I donโ€™t think so. Is this normal for RV parks? Is there anything I can do?

Moniki
66 REPLIES 66

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so the OP hasn't been back, we don't know what campground this is so there's no way to actually check the policies online and the forum lawyers are debating the meaning of life. I guess that's a wrap.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am simply amazed that this thread has not gotten kicked to the curb due to the legal eagles talk..

The reality is the campground the OP was upset about most likely has a rental policy similar to one of the campgrounds we like to go to..

HERE

I will quote the sections which directly address the OPs issue.. Pay close attention to the bolded text below.

"Payment

The balance of any reservation made within the same calendar year is due at the time of reserving to process each reservation. Payment upon arrival is not accepted.

All rate, fee, SC state and local tax increases implemented after reservation confirmation, are the responsibility of the guest."

Folks, most likely EVERY organized campground does indeed have this or similar type of "policy".

Additionally this campground REQUIRES PAYMENT IN FULL UPFRONT AT RESERVATION TIME. I AM certain that this large campground HAS done their due diligence BEFORE they implemented this policy.

READ THE RENTAL POLICIES BEFORE SIGNING OR AGREEING TO ANYTHING.

IF the rental policy is not online (like this example) CALL THE CAMPGROUND AND REQUEST THEIR POLICY!

OP could have saved a lot of time and heartache by doing this simple but yet often overlooked item..

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Can we stop the rhetoric (as I think you are both on the same side, it really looks stupid).

Inside of going political, just address the comments as they relate to the topic:

Big Red - wire fraud
Walaby - there is no wire fraud, what are you talking about, what's your point
Big Red - I was just posting a denifition. I wasn't making any point

See, no politics, easy to understand, and no insulting or attacking necessary...

Lighten up, let it go, it's hilarious. I almost wet my pants laughing at it. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

count your blessings, I just did Number 2 in my pants.
bumpy

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
Can we stop the rhetoric (as I think you are both on the same side, it really looks stupid).

Inside of going political, just address the comments as they relate to the topic:

Big Red - wire fraud

See, no politics, easy to understand, and no insulting or attacking necessary...

Lighten up, let it go, it's hilarious. I almost wet my pants laughing at it. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

Big Red - wire fraud

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
I wonder where the OP went, probably scared off by all this "legal" talk. :h

Probably not a bad thing as he likely never had a legal leg to stand on.

LOL.....this thread keeps on going and going, much like a bad case of some medication resistant STD.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
RAS43 wrote:

Probably not a bad thing as he likely never had a legal leg to stand on.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
4x4van wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

So what if the campground requires a 100% deposit?

Ummmm....then it wouldn't be a "deposit", it would be "Paid in Full".:h

Would it if they label it a "deposit"?

Especially if there is a clause that the prices may be adjusted for 2019, it's not "paid in full.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigred1cav wrote:
Wire fraud is a crime in which a person concocts a scheme to defraud or obtain money based on false representation or promises. This criminal act is done using electronic communications or an interstate communications facility.

Really??? You have no clue what the policy says or doesn't say about rate increases, and you're calling this a criminal act?

Maybe Bob Mueller should investigate.

No wonder our country is so jacked up.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Just my opinion here and I am not a lawyer. If OP had paid a deposit for site I would say it was open to a price increase for the other nights not paid for. If OP paid in full I would think all nights were paid for before price increase and should be honored.

What percentage you paid doesn't matter...it's what the contract terms set out that counts.

Example: Airlines can kick you off the plane after...you've paid in full, received your boarding card, passed thru security and are buckled into your seat. All very much legal, because the contract terms you agreed to allow for it (and no the airline doesn't walk you thru all the terms and conditions, that's your burden)
Then it is not a deposit to hold it is a paid in full contract. This is about as crazy as me selling someone a classic car on the internet and being paid in full at that time with the understanding he will pick it up at a later set date. Then telling him the prices on all our cars went up a few thousand dollars a month later. Now I tell him he owes me more for the car he already owns.
Just stupid in my opinion.
We take a deposit equal to one night's stay on one night reservations. I guess I have been treating it wrong all these years. From now on I will abide by the code of internet contract law and realize it is payment in full, completed contract. That means a one night reservation will not be subject to our deposit refund policies which is to refund all but a processing fee when cancelled within the cancellation period. This saves me a lot of work refunding those deposits and re-renting the site. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that paid for, but unused sites don't use any utilities, don't require cleaning, don't ever require any customer service so they are pure profit. If anyone has a problem, I will point out that to refund any money would require breaking a sacred contract and nobody wants that.
Thanks for pointing out the errors of my ways.
If this is what you got out of my opinion then maybe you are not as bright as I thought.
You were very clear that a 100% deposit is not a deposit, but rather a completed contract. If that is indeed a fact, then any cancellation request by the customer would be a request to break that contract. Are you suggesting that breaking contracts should be an intregal aspect of good business processes? If not, the alternative would be for both parties to honorthat contract and consider that site rented to the customer whether they intend to arrive or not.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Just my opinion here and I am not a lawyer. If OP had paid a deposit for site I would say it was open to a price increase for the other nights not paid for. If OP paid in full I would think all nights were paid for before price increase and should be honored.

What percentage you paid doesn't matter...it's what the contract terms set out that counts.

Example: Airlines can kick you off the plane after...you've paid in full, received your boarding card, passed thru security and are buckled into your seat. All very much legal, because the contract terms you agreed to allow for it (and no the airline doesn't walk you thru all the terms and conditions, that's your burden)
Then it is not a deposit to hold it is a paid in full contract. This is about as crazy as me selling someone a classic car on the internet and being paid in full at that time with the understanding he will pick it up at a later set date. Then telling him the prices on all our cars went up a few thousand dollars a month later. Now I tell him he owes me more for the car he already owns.
We take a deposit equal to one night's stay on one night reservations. I guess I have been treating it wrong all these years. From now on I will abide by the code of internet contract law and realize it is payment in full, completed contract. That means a one night reservation will not be subject to our deposit refund policies which is to refund all but a processing fee when cancelled within the cancellation period. This saves me a lot of work refunding those deposits and re-renting the site. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that paid for, but unused sites don't use any utilities, don't require cleaning, don't ever require any customer service so they are pure profit. If anyone has a problem, I will point out that to refund any money would require breaking a sacred contract and nobody wants that.
If this is what you got out of my opinion then maybe you are not as bright as I thought.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds