cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is tongue weight calculated in CGVWR?

sdclaw21
Explorer
Explorer
I'm contemplating buying a pop-up trailer that would push the limits of my tow vehicle. I want to make sure I understand what all the figures mean. Let's use round figures to aid with our gorilla math.

My combined max gross weight rating of my vehicle is 9,000. The vehicle weight loaded with gear and people is 5,700. The trailer with gear weighs a measured 3,000 with a tongue weight of 400. Is my combined gvw 8,700 or 9,100?
24 REPLIES 24

sdclaw21
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
" The vehicle weight loaded with gear and people is 5,700. The trailer with gear weighs a measured 3,000 with a tongue weight of 400. Is my combined gvw 8,700 or 9,100? "

By "measured" you mean measured on a scale? If hooked to the vehicle, the 3000lbs + the 400lbs is the trailer weight and the 5700lbs - 400lbs is the vehicle weight, roughly.

I know you're trying hard to make this work and think these numbers are still just theoretical as you don't have the trailer yet?

Given your lack of experience with towing, as it appears, the best thing IMO would be if you could borrow someones trailer (any type) of similar weight and go take er for a spin and see how you and the van feel about it.
Don't get caught up in calculating to the exact pound. Plenty of people/vehicles tow safely OVER the max rating and plenty of people/vehicles don't do well even under the max ratings.

This is more of an order of magnitude thing. Your vehicle is "rated" to tow 3000lbs. 3500 or 2500 is not going to be significantly different. 5000 or 1500 lbs will be.

Its a jayco. Sticker on door has weight as leavig factory including propane just under 2500. I have lots of towing experience just little pushing vehicle limits and none w this vehicle.

The vehicle is st 110k miles anyway and I tend recycle at 125 to retain some trade in value. Im thinking of just winging it for a few short trips this fall and if we need to upgrade TV over the winter we can.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
sdclaw21 wrote:
ependydad wrote:

If you're worried about 400 lbs, maybe consider a second vehicle to move people out of the tow vehicle?

Thanks. Just this morning I had the idea that if I strapped the wife to the rear bumper of the trailer for the longer trips I would lessen the tongue weight a bit.

Hope like heck your wife don't read this! This could get construed badly or VERY badly, lol!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
" The vehicle weight loaded with gear and people is 5,700. The trailer with gear weighs a measured 3,000 with a tongue weight of 400. Is my combined gvw 8,700 or 9,100? "

By "measured" you mean measured on a scale? If hooked to the vehicle, the 3000lbs + the 400lbs is the trailer weight and the 5700lbs - 400lbs is the vehicle weight, roughly.

I know you're trying hard to make this work and think these numbers are still just theoretical as you don't have the trailer yet?

Given your lack of experience with towing, as it appears, the best thing IMO would be if you could borrow someones trailer (any type) of similar weight and go take er for a spin and see how you and the van feel about it.
Don't get caught up in calculating to the exact pound. Plenty of people/vehicles tow safely OVER the max rating and plenty of people/vehicles don't do well even under the max ratings.

This is more of an order of magnitude thing. Your vehicle is "rated" to tow 3000lbs. 3500 or 2500 is not going to be significantly different. 5000 or 1500 lbs will be.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
sdclaw21 wrote:
Just this morning I had the idea that if I strapped the wife to the rear bumper of the trailer for the longer trips I would lessen the tongue weight a bit.

Good plan. Another option would be to leave the wife at home. Then you could replace her weight with beer and, sell the empty cans to a recycler to help offset your expenses.
Sometimes RVers need to be innovative. :C

sdclaw21
Explorer
Explorer
Irdew wrote:
The other number to ponder is the GVWR of your van. That would be the 5700 lb. it weighs plus the 400 lb. tongue weight. GVWR is the most the van can weigh.

Exacts as follows.

Curb 4652
Gross 6050
Tow Capacity 3500
GCVWR 8750
Trailer weight with full propane 2500
Tongue weight 350

Vehicle weight with passengers (no gear) 5200.
Trailer no gear 2500. Combined weight 7750. That only leaves 1000 pounds for luggage and gear but we will be using this for 2-4 day trips primarily no boondocking. Shouldn't be that tight.

Edited for correction to beer math.

Irdew
Explorer
Explorer
The other number to ponder is the GVWR of your van. That would be the 5700 lb. it weighs plus the 400 lb. tongue weight. GVWR is the most the van can weigh.

sdclaw21
Explorer
Explorer
The tow vehicles a minivan. It is tow optioned.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
What's your tow vehicle? Was is available with a higher GCWR option? If yes, you can probably figure out what parts were added for that, and make the same upgrades to yours.

Also, is your vehicle's 9,000# limit the gVwr or gCwr ?
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

sdclaw21
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

If you're worried about 400 lbs, maybe consider a second vehicle to move people out of the tow vehicle?

Thanks. Just this morning I had the idea that if I strapped the wife to the rear bumper of the trailer for the longer trips I would lessen the tongue weight a bit.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page