cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Isn't this the way to build a slide?

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Peaked? Other than it dumps on the door.
26 REPLIES 26

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Ozlander wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
No window in the door?

Nope, it would mess up the graphics.

And mess up the bottom line to the tune of about $20.

I wish that my TT didn't have a window in the door. It is tinted so that you can not see through it anyway but, it is not tinted enough to let so much light in that it is hard to sleep. I have Velcroed a curtain over it but, it is a not a great idea, and kinda cheesy looking.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed... the roof peak won't drop any more water than a flat roof. Also, having it next to the door isn't unusual with all the multiple slides nowadays. There are many slides that are next to the door.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
Yes the roof is peaked. And unless someone dumps a 500gallon bucket of water over the slide the water will just drip off the side of the slide like every other one out there. Donโ€™t rip on it if you havenโ€™t seen one. We actually looked at one at an RV dealer. It is nice to have that extra headroom in a slide.

But it's funner to complain about problems that aren't real.......
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, it's pretty amazing how much heat is radiated into the trailer from that unshaded roof.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking that putting a slide topper on one would be interesting. I wouldn't be without them.

I agree, slide topper not to keep leaves and needles off, but to reduce heat gain on hot days.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Captain_Happy wrote:
The top of the slide is flat just like all the other out there.

According to the pics on-line, they are indeed sloped:
Outside

Inside

That's cool! They must have a gutter or something so it doesn't dump water under the awning. I'm hoping the engineers weren't that short-sighted.

Jeez! Again. Itโ€™s not going to โ€œdumpโ€ any more water than a normal slide! Itโ€™s just not going to lay on the top! Even pine needles andleaves will come off in a rain. And dry they will come off better than a flat roof slide! :S
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Captain_Happy wrote:
The top of the slide is flat just like all the other out there.

According to the pics on-line, they are indeed sloped:
Outside

Inside

That's cool! They must have a gutter or something so it doesn't dump water under the awning. I'm hoping the engineers weren't that short-sighted.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ozlander wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
No window in the door?

And mess up the bottom line to the tune of about $20.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
No window in the door?

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I was thinking that putting a slide topper on one would be interesting. I wouldn't be without them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the look both inside and out as I have camped beside a few, been in them, and seen them at shows. I dont see if their is any benefit however as that little bit of slope is not going to keep leaves or pine needles from laying on the top. Possibly they may have a definite disadvantage as you're not going to be able to put a topper on one. And a topper goes a long way as a first line of defense as far as water is concerned either extended or retracted, not to mention keeping debris off. You had better hope they did an exceptional job of installing all the seals which is a tall order for an RV manufacturer.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the roof is peaked. And unless someone dumps a 500gallon bucket of water over the slide the water will just drip off the side of the slide like every other one out there. Donโ€™t rip on it if you havenโ€™t seen one. We actually looked at one at an RV dealer. It is nice to have that extra headroom in a slide.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have friends with one of these but they only have drivers side slides (no dumping water in front of the door).

A real nice option.

A simpler solution is to angle the top without a peak. Example: set the side next to the door 6-12" higher than the back side. All the water will flow to the rear and you get all the same benefits without a joint at the slideout peak to keep sealed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
The kitchen side slide roof is flat starting about 2015, before that is was peaked. The dinette/chairs side slide roof is peaked.

Water dumping by the door is a problem. But the slide roof stays cleaner and is easier to sweep if needed. It is just another way to do it.
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB