cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Its Finally Official!

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Sold the fiver about 6 weeks ago. Truck went Saturday. Were officially out of RVing for the first time in 42 years. DW has back issues that are causing her a lot of pain, so it was time to hang it up. We will really miss our summer camp hosting job. But I guess all things must come to an end. Life moves on, younger folks will take up the lifestyle. Hope they have as much enjoyment as we did.
17 REPLIES 17

momdoc
Explorer
Explorer
We look at life as a series of adventures and you are ready for the next one.
For us we retired early and headed to the Caribbean as we always wanted to live on an island. We have now lived full time in the Dominican Republic for the last 12 years. Time to sell the house and go on to the next adventure which will be full time in our new RV that we bought this year. As to the next adventure after the RV????????
So Donn enjoy your next adventure!
momdoc

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I don't know the nature of your wife's back issue, but I was diagnosed at age 20 with a Pars defect which means the anchor bones from the last vertebrae into the sacrum are gone, birth defect. I was then experiencing pain. My doctor told me to wait as long as I could to have back surgery because it wasn't an exact science back in the 70's. 46 years later, 2017, I was in a lot more pain, had developed a bad limp, and had bursitis in my hip from the limp. Pain killers were getting almost impossible for me to get, so I consulted a neurosurgeon in Indianapolis. He said he could fix it. I didn't get a second opinion, because a very dear friend and members of her family had had this doctor perform their successful surgeries. We came home from our winter roost in March and I had the surgery. 2 rods, 6 screws, 2 cages and three fusions with implants later I am a new person. All the nerve impingements are gone. My spine is back in the proper position and I can't feel any of that hardware in my back. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself. Bursitis is completely gone, which had sent me to the rheumatologist, and I am gradually losing my limp. Walking is no longer painful.

I hope your wife is able to seek some relief. WE have fulltimed for going on 14 years. I am the only driver and I have never felt so good.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
My DW has had a bad back for years and she loves the bed in our RV - she sometimes has to sleep in the RV bed instetad of the house bed when the RV is in the backyard in order to get a decent night's sleep.

We're both above 70 and see no end in sight to our RV'ing ... but now I may have to modify the entrance step so the DW can get up into the coach with less pain. There's a whole bunch we haven't seen in the U.S. yet, and we hope to make our first RV road trip to Alaska next summer.

Our home is very comfortable and we're very blessed and thankful to have it - but it carries a lot of responsibility baggage whenever we're living in it - so vagabonding around on the open road in the RV gives us a break from all that. There is nothing like being free-as-a-bird out in the middle of nowhere snug-as-a-bug in your little self-contained nest!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Keep in touch, Don. You are still full of expertise. There are lots of ways to explore other than in an RV. You can still wear out and not rust out!

Full of something thats for sure. LoL

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in touch, Don. You are still full of expertise. There are lots of ways to explore other than in an RV. You can still wear out and not rust out!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your wifeโ€™s health issues. My parents gave up their rv several years ago, and Iโ€™m kind of glad. Dad, at 83 is no longer the best driver in the world and thinking about him behind the wheel of a class c would worry me.

That being said, we do include them on a trip each year, renting a park model for them. So, as you said, you never know!

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.
While Lorri did not think she was ready to give it up, once the fiver was sold, she realized it was time. Surprisingly I dont miss it. The truck, no matter how much I liked it was not even sad to see it go. It was just time. I knew it last spring, but Lorri convinced me to go again. But after watching her just sit in a chair, not hardly able to get up and work in the park I knew.
If I were single again I would probably sell everyrhing and go again. So one never knows what might happen tomorrow.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is truly sad to hear, especially for the reason you state, we all know our time is coming for what ever reason, but it doesn't make it any easier knowing that, and when our time comes, we hopefully adjust and move on as you are doing. but I personally will do so with a tear and a lump in the throat. Good luck.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don and Lorri...

Hoping you guys stay around and keep us all going... Had some good conversations over the few years I have been on here...

I think I will stay a few more years but have to admit I may be getting too old for all of this good fun hehe...

Good friend of mine from Texas just passed a couple of day's ago which I took pretty hard. Now I get to use his line I guess... When someone asked him how he was doing he always said "I'm still kicking - Just not as high as I used to do!!!!" Both the wife and I have gone downhill more this year than ever before...

Enjoyed the trip along with you guys...

Roy and Carolyn
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh No....how in the world will I be able to remember how to pronounce "Ore-gun"?? I don't know why, but over the year's I've seen your posts, my eyes always seem to go right to that part of your signature. LoL Good Luck with your new endeavors.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Don not a sad story for you and wife as you had a great run. Always sad for health reasons of course. We wondered if last winter was our end of going south but as My wife recovers from surgery we feel we will be in Az again this season. Memories and rv friends are really nice.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Well Don,

I hope you plan on sticking around here, your info has been great over the years.. It would be our loss if you decide to hang up the keyboard also.....

Best of luck to you and your wife , hope she gets the back issues and pain handled ..
Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
As with boat owners is it true that the two happiest times RVing are when you purchase your first RV and when you sell the last one?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Life changes. One door closes, another opens. Sounds like you are handling it with a positive attitude and that is great. Good luck to both of you.