cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jacks During Storage ??

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I store my RV under a carport with a concrete slab. Should I store it over the winter with the jacks down, taking most the weight off the tires, or no ?
14 REPLIES 14

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what system you have but the following is from the HWH FAQs:
54. Can I store my coach with my jacks extended?
Yes, this will not hurt the system.

55. How long can I leave my coach parked with the jacks extended?
As long as you want. We recommend operating the system occasionally if possible.

56. Do I need to do any maintenance on the jacks or slide-outs while the vehicle is parked with the jacks and slide-outs extended?

There is no necessary maintenance for the jacks or slide-outs while the vehicle is parked. If desired, WD-40ยฎ can be used on the jack rods right before storing the jacks if dirt has collected on the rods. Refer to the following link for jack maintenance information ml47149.pdf.

57. If Iโ€™m parked for a month or two, should I occasionally operate my system?

Yes, it is good to operate the system occasionally but it is not required.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Jacks serve no purpose when not in use and provide additional pathways for rodents.

x3

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Jacks serve no purpose when not in use and provide additional pathways for rodents.
X-2

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our motorhome doesn't know if it's parked for storage or on a campsite, so the jacks are always down.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Motor home or trailer?

31' Winnebago class C

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Motor home or trailer?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise, the common way to "park" hydraulic systems is with the pressure as neutral as possible. Think about it. Are you going to put a brick/stick on the brake pedal to lock up/apply the hydraulic brakes too? (air brakes and cable operated parking brakes are different) IMO, it really doesn't matter much, just your preference for your particular situation.

If you leave the MH parked with the hydraulic jacks down and they won't retract when you plan to move it, (for whatever reason) you'll be waiting where you are until you can get the jacks to retract.

Chum lee

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
blownstang01 wrote:
I store my RV under a carport with a concrete slab. Should I store it over the winter with the jacks down, taking most the weight off the tires, or no ?

If you're using the trailer as a man cave while it's parked at home then sure, level it and drop the stabs, otherwise there's no point to it.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just slightly off topic but I think you should put plywood under the tires to keep them off the concrete.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
I only store with jacks down if there's no chance of the ground heaving up with frost. In your case sounds like you would be fine.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Jack's down is the way to go.
2010 Suncruiser

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your choice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a motorhome with hydraulic leveling jacks, I tried to keep it on them whenever possible during long periods of sitting still. Never did any harm that I know of.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)