cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep exploded ...

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
JFYI: Anyone that has a newer Jeep ... Jeep has a recall out for an electrical issue. Jeep has not notified every owner. Day before yesterday, a Jeep in our neighbor's garage shorted out at 3AM, blew up the full gas tank, and completely destroyed the home except the block sidewalls and slab foundation.

That's all the details I have at the moment. If you own a Jeep (not sure model or year) I'd check the recall notices or call your dealer and find out about it. IF I get more info, I will share.

No one was hurt, luckily. The residents woke and safely fled out the back door of the home. ๐Ÿ˜ž M44 ...

The home is in Leesburg, Florida...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
35 REPLIES 35

dedmiston
I think we've gnawed all the meat off this bone.

Closed.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Iโ€™m not aware of any state, maybe MO based on scoobys post, that doesnโ€™t allow appliances in the garage like furnace and water heater.

I know houses in the area my area will not pass inspection if both sides of walls surrounding the utility room (furnace & water heater) are not finished. And IIRC, had to use thicker sheet-rock than normal inside walls.

Ok?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Iโ€™m not aware of any state, maybe MO based on scoobys post, that doesnโ€™t allow appliances in the garage like furnace and water heater.

I know houses in the area my area will not pass inspection if both sides of walls surrounding the utility room (furnace & water heater) are not finished. And IIRC, had to use thicker sheet-rock than normal inside walls.

The building codes in many areas require outside air and ventilation for any gas fired appliance, thus they get installed in the attic or garage. You'd have to break the air infiltration barriers to install them inside, and that works against trying to make the living areas as energy efficient as possible.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have block walls between garage and house ... but the fire went UP and thru the adjoining attic. So, the fire wall did not work as it should. No firewall exists between garage attic and house attic.

Might not be able to build homes that way anymore ... not sure of the newest codes here.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
To follow up on the above comments -- yes, this community does have gas water heaters and gas home heating units in the garage. The Jeep was not an EV, am sure of that. No official word yet, but gas leak appears the cause. Not sure yet if the gas leak was natural gas, or Jeep fuel. Apparently, Jeep has a recall on the Jeep fuel lines leaking. That's all I know ...

Well, that's not ALL I know, but ... ๐Ÿ™‚
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A mistake many make with an engine comparment fire is to open the hood.. Using an extinguisher shoot UP from below but DO NOT open the hood and let it "Draft".. I've seen fires self extinguish if you do not open the hood (Twice) I've also seen them not self extinguish (Also twice) but if you open the hood. NO CHANCE.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of hours ago I pulled out of my driveway and down the street to the stop sign. In the middle of the intersection was a Jeep on fire. I think it was a Liberty. Looked like the flames were coming from around the battery. One guy emptied an extinguisher but couldnโ€™t stop it.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last year an auto manufacturer/s was advising drivers to park their cars outside of garages on the street or far back on the drive way due to sudden car fires. Jeep was not the brand and I believe one was an EV but cannot remember the brand/s. Recall did not affect my Ram truck so do not remember.

Millions of older home garages have gas water heaters, furnaces, etc in their garages. Watch o.

Glad our apartment condos do not have underneath or attached garages. All parking is in the open with metal port covers and away from living quarters.

Tell GD dog eater that I have seen many jeeps used as toads and tow vehicles of small TT. Cheer to the brave.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Does your area allow water heaters and other auto-start loads in the same room vehicle is stored?

Yes - it's pretty common in FL to have the water heater, possibly the furnace; and even a gas clothes dryer located in the garage.

I once had an older Mercedes C-class that leaked gas fumes and it sounded like it was a common problem that MB chose to ignore. Since it was our FL grocery-getter, it was relegated to the outdoors, due to being a bad idea of it sharing the garage with the water heater and gas dryer ๐Ÿ˜ž
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
:R:?:R:S:h

Is the best way to describe this wholly unrelated to general RVing threadโ€ฆ.lol.

Well, a LOT of us have Jeeps as toads, so I for one, am interested in the outcome!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
:R:?:R:S:h

Is the best way to describe this wholly unrelated to general RVing threadโ€ฆ.lol.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never saw the movie or the musical.. Read the book.
Know the song. Several artists have covered it. This one I once took to dinner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIg8Mo_EyDw
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times