cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Librarys

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for library's for non residents. looking for suggestions. Brooklyn library and Philadelphia library are two, has any one have experience with either of these.
12 REPLIES 12

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Parrothead Mike wrote:
My wife & I are old school, we like libraries and real books. Not saying an e-reader isn't still enjoying the reading, but we like to wander the library and just like books in general. When in Florida for the winter we've joined the county library system where we stay.

Seems as though I lived in the old Carnegie library growing up, and the smell of old books and libraries cannot be matched.
However, I have to agree with Eubank about how E-readers, (especially the Kindle) have made it much easier to read, especially on the road.
With all of the options available, I don't NEED to stop at a library.
(But it's still a joy!)
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
My wife & I are old school, we like libraries and real books. Not saying an e-reader isn't still enjoying the reading, but we like to wander the library and just like books in general. When in Florida for the winter we've joined the county library system where we stay.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, having had experience with a fair string of libraries for ebooks and paper, your first task is to examine the libraries online.

1. Find out if they require residence to get a library card (because your library card is your username and login).

2. Find out the size of their collections. Assuming, for example, that you are a reader of mysteries, just go to the catalog online and do a search for all mysteries in the collection. If they've got ~200 of them, it's just a tiny number. If they have 16,000 of them, there's your library!

Many of the libraries have Overdrive installed on their server. That's just to handle the process of borrowing and searching; it does not mean that you have to have Overdrive on your Kindle. (If you are not reading with a Kindle, however, then you may need to install Overdrive on your device.)

I find it easiest to combine reading on the regular reading Kindle with searching for books, reserving, making requests, etc. best done on my laptop. The regular reading Kindle is just awful for the purpose of use online, nor does AMazon try to make it into an internet device; but as a reading device, it reigns supreme.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
maddog348 wrote:
libraries 'lend a book' Amazon sells 'em

Amazon Prime offers unlimited borrowing. No due dates, either.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Many public libraries are switching to cloud services for electronic books and magazines. I can get an e-book from my library anywhere internet service is available. I download their e-book library app and when I want a book, I use my library card info to log in and get what I want. You may want to check with your local residence library and see if they are now online with cloud library services.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
libraries 'lend a book' Amazon sells 'em

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon for E-books
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Use Overdrive. thousands of books available free.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for e books

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget college libraries
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Not much you canโ€™t download free or low cost. Search features, adjustable text size etc. on both your phone and tablet. No โ€œlibrary smellโ€ with a bum sitting next you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of depends on what you want to do at or with the library! Use the reference room; check out paper books; use their ebook collection; use their wifi; take courses?

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn