cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light weight 5th wheel hitch

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
For some reason my 5th wheel hitch has gotten much heavier in the last few years ??, and it’s getting more difficult to lift into the truck. Our camper is only about 6000 lbs fully loaded, but our Reese hitch is rated at 16000 lbs. Can anyone recommend a lighter weight hitch that won’t break the bank?

Thanks!
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.
7 REPLIES 7

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I leave it hanging on the 5er in the rare instance I need the truck for something else.
Puma 30RKSS

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to also mention the Harbor Freight electric winch. I have one mounted in my attic, where I keep all the Christmas stuff. I se it to raise and lower the tubs. It works great, has a 300 pound limit. Lift the hitch out and put it on one of their rolling carts and roll it out of the way.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
This 5th wheel hitch only weighs about 80-90 lbs., disassembles easily, and costs less than $300. The top part of the hitch can easily be removed from the lower part. Just requires the removal of two pins. The top and bottom halves only weigh about 40-45 lbs. each. 40-45 lbs. is very manageable. We towed a 12k (loaded) 5th wheel cross-country several times with one with zero issues.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
And set it on one of these
https://www.harborfreight.com/200-lb-capacity-movers-dolly-95353.html?_br_psugg_q=dolly

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or get one of these
https://www.harborfreight.com/880-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-62854.html?_br_psugg_q=hoist

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can always leave the hitch hooked to the trailer , pull the pins and let your leg jacks lift the whole shooting match !

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Andersen is about the lightest thing around unless you want to convert to a gooseneck adapter.